[drp] time trials (eve / volunteers) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:48 am
Accidentally Coincidental

The unexpected pride in Eve's tone encouraged Kaleb to pick up his glasses, examining them with the same nearsighted curiosity as the moonwort seeds. The crack and scratches were gone, both on the lenses and the frames. When he put them on, he immediately smiled in amazement.

"Wow, it's like they were never broken!" Kaleb exclaimed with delight. "That is amazing, thank you so much!"

cibarium

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 pm
bbyface

"Yes, just a moment." Jeremiah moved then, heading towards the back door. It was early enough in the day, Hellbine was likely out in the yard and- Yes, there he was, being sat upon by hens. Hellbine did not seem to mind in the slightest.

His fingers crooked, voice soft as he requested what Eve wanted. Jeremiah returned with white poplar flowers in hand. "Crushing them, you said?" he asked in confirmation before following her instruction.

Jeremiah would reattempt the entire process only to, once again, feel the surge of magic - as if something was supposed to happen - and then nothing.

fix-it-up

"I'm willing to try," replied Nasir, "because it ... means a lot to me and it may end up breaking because of it being warped by the heat otherwise." He came closer, leaning just a little to see what she was looking at.

He gave a small smile and nodded. "I think that's good. I probably should've brought some of the wood I worked with when we were making the frame. I can bring that by later, if you'd like?"

cibarium

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200

Smerdle

Scamp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:17 pm
sanic

"Certainly." Chester picked up his spider and looked to the door, remembering his manners just before he strode over to it. "Is there anything you need me to carry?"

cibarium

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm
bbyface

This happened a few more times, until Eve started to feel like she was wasting paper, and she paused with her arms crossed and eyes staring down at the table. "I'm starting to think you're the problem," she said to Jeremiah.

fix-it-up

"What kind of wood?" Eve asked as she drew the reversal spell out. This time a dried wallflower blossom was put in the center for the ring to rest on top of. She'd also written out the casting instructions in her journal, since the moonwort seemed to do a consistently good job -- she slid it over to Nasir so he could cast when he was ready.

sanic

"No, I'll be out in a moment," answered Eve.

She was indeed out a moment later, with her notebook, the usual nice paper she drew spell circles on, and a small collection of other spell reagants. Clover helped her move to sit on the ground so they could begin.

"I haven't tried to expidite something that'll be moving out of the casting area," she thought. "So we might have to be indirect instead. Do you have anything that could work as a focus for the spider?"

azuredreams

smerdle

cibarium
Crew

Noob

azuredreams rolled 1 4-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-4)

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:13 pm
fix-it-up

"Some juniper, honey locust, and willow," responded Nasir easily. "We were focused on blending woods and precious stones when we were creating the frame. Willow is actually good to work with, especially if you have a strong will- it responds well and-" He stopped, face darkening and ducking down a moment. "I'm rambling, you probably know all this."

Especially considering her notes.

"Thanks for showing me this, Eve," he said after he got that under control and was in the process of trying what she had laid out. The ring was set down and he went to work. Except that, as he came out of the light trance he went into whenever he worked his magic, he realized that instead of the ring being fixed that some of the nearby flowers had been turned back into seeds.

Nasir wrinkled his nose and sighed.

bbyface

Jeremiah pinched the bridge of his nose before he sighed and nodded. "I'm inclined to think so as well. We did change the magic of the real world and that means changing us that are tied to it.

"It's very likely that it could be part of that, that we've done something. Nobles are considered outside of the cycles, so perhaps ... that's been expanded upon." Not that he looked too fond of this idea.

cibarium

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:19 am
sanic

"I have some extra parts that I made alongside the ones it actually contains," he said, temporarily kneeling nearby and rummaging in his pockets for a few tiny gears. "I could quickly replace some of the gears and screws in use with a few of these so that the parts we're holding are... closer, I suppose, to actually having been a part of the creature. I'm not sure it matters." Not if the intent was strong enough.

cibar!um

Smerdle

Scamp

cibarium
Crew

Noob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:53 pm
fix-it-up

"I was thinking of making a wood-burned altar for a part of this," said Eve, more intrigued than annoyed by Nasir's ramblings. "Or carved, so I can set powder from the bones in. I may have to call your group in for a commission."

When the spell misfired, Eve wrinkled her nose in a manner similar to Nasir. "How'd the casting feel for you?" She smudged a finger on the wallflower imprint left in the spent casting circle. "Might've made a syntax error... or maybe the moon phase was too far off. We can try again if you like... How did you say this was damaged again?"

bbyface

Eve kept glowering at the small pile of wasted paper and reagants they'd generated. "Nobles have always been immune to being reset and reborn by the sigil," she said. "It's probably not a stretch to say they've always been resistant to time magic in general."

Then she took a sip from her coffee, which had turned unpleasantly lukewarm. "Sorry, but it seems I'm powerless to help you."

sanic

"A symbolic association works just fine," Eve said, accepting a spare part. She placed it on the corner of her paper and tapped the blunt end of her calligraphy pen repetitively against it for a moment, unsure where to start.

"I know how to advance something forward to a specific time, but causing a focus to do something within a specific amount of time..." Not to mention they were dealing in minutes or seconds right now, which she hadn't thought about much. "I'm not sure how to symbolize this."

azuredrams

smordle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:38 am
sanic

Chester wasn't sure either.

"I have a feeling advancing the air itself might end in disaster. Maybe just a bubble that travels with it?"

cibarium

Smerdle

Scamp

cibarium
Crew

Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:54 am
sanic

"The focus item is so the spell will target your spider," said Eve. "So there's no problems there. What I'm having trouble with is how to craft a spell that says 'make the target complete this task faster.' That's a bit different than advancing its age in an instant."

She had Clover trot back inside and fetch her bag, which had a tablet in it. Now she was Googling for ideas, of all things.

"If I knew musical notation better, I bet it would be perfect for this..." The witch was halfway talking to herself, still not quite ready to set pen to paper. "We can make do with primes and double primes. They're used in math and physics and such."

She drew an upright triangle with a red pen, placed the wheel within the top corner, and added small tick marks as well - one on the bottom left corner, and two on the bottom right. "This should transform a minute for the spider into a second," she said, sprinkling some vervain flowers inside to cast the enchantment. "Let's see what happens."

smerdle
1 = the opposite effect happened
2 = spider catches fire
3 = success
4 = WHOA TOO FAST

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:57 pm
fix-it-up

"We could do something like that," replied Nasir with a warm smile. "Wil did a good portion of the carvings, I took care of the ... blending of the wood and magic."

When Eve asked her questions, he fell silent a moment. "It felt like normal, like things were bubbling up and all I had to do was direct it. Maybe I just misdirected it?" The other question, of course, had him looking down at his hands and arms where there were faint scars now. Unless one looked close, they'd not really notice them.

"I tried to grab him," him would be obvious with the look on his face; he meant the Burning Man, "to help but it ... didn't go as I planned and the ring got warped." A breath escaped, his eyes raising to look back at Eve. "I would like to try again, if that's alright?"

bbyface

"This seems more than it used to be," admitted Jeremiah, "but I think you're right." He sighed, rubbing a hand across his smooth jaw and shaking his head.

"It isn't as if it won't grow back." His lips twitched, "I just wanted to avoid the comments and looks that are bound to happen." Eve was given a smile. "Either way, I think I've some reagents I can give you and- You're drinking coffee."

This had just dawned on him, his eyes widening just slightly. It was a more comical expression because of the lack of beard.

cibarium

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
Smerdle rolled 1 4-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-4)

Smerdle

Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 am
sanic

He felt the urge to announce that of course he knew what primes and double primes were, but he held back, watching Eve work instead. His desire to impress her kind of made him irritable in her presence, but she didn't deserve his ire, having done nothing wrong in the first place.

The spell completed, Chester crouched and activated the spider, waited for it to get its footing, and watched it speed away, bursting into a splendid plume of flame as it did. Laughter escaped him while he hurried after the creature, patting out the flames as he returned to Eve's side.

"That was lovely, like a death metal concert in miniature." He had never been to a concert of any kind, but he thought it safe to assume at least one had spiders and fire.

cibarium

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:28 am
fix-it-up

Eve's expression turned sympathetic at Nasir's story. The fact it was the Burning Man's fault sealed her decision: they'd keep trying until something worked or Nasir told her to stop.

"Fire of magical origin," she pondered quietly. "Let's add water, then." Drawing up a new circle, this time she included the alchemical symbol for water in the design. "Same as before, but with some douse-the-flames imagery added. Want to try casting again?

bbyface

"Yes, Jeremiah, I'm drinking coffee," answered Eve defiantly. "I have to stay focused and not waste my time on afternoon naps."

sanic

As much as Eve hated messing up as spectacularly as she just did, Chester's amusement by it still managed to rub off on her a little. Shaking her head slowly at herself, she sighed, "And I know exactly what I did wrong here. I used a fire symbol, thinking I could get it to mean 'change' this time." Alchemical symbols were common in her spell designs, but they were always more literal in context than metaphorical.

Then she retrieved the still-intact wheel from the casting space, and crumpled up the paper to be thrown in recycling later. "If you're game to try again, I have a lot to gain from figuring this one out."

azuredreams

smerdle

cibarium
Crew

Noob

Blade Kuroda

Militant Raider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 pm
The Luke Cage look

Shun recalled Eve's post up on the listserv regarding experiments with time magic. It may be an avenue in which he could get his coat repaired. He hadn't been wearing it since the incident, with the truthful excuse of 'it has been damaged and needs repairs' when asked where it was.

The holes in it would have only caused more questions than not.

And so he reached out to Eve, requesting assistance with repairing an item and asked when it would be best to stop by.

cibarium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:33 am
sanic

"Certainly." It didn't bother him that things hadn't gone as planned in this instance, probably because he hadn't technically been the one who had messed up. He was also open to anything that gave him an education and wasn't immediately going to kill him. The lesson learned here: Don't use a rune that means fire unless you want things on fire.

Chester looked over the spider to make sure it was still operational, and finding no fatal flaws, placed it on the ground for its second go.

cibarium

Smerdle

Scamp

azuredreams rolled 1 4-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-4)

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:01 pm
fix-it-up

Nasir nodded, a small smile given, as he refocused and began to cast again. Yet this time, when he worked, it seemed it was not the ring that he repaired but ... a flower? At least it looked to not be wilting anymore anyway.

He sighed.

"I've been a bit too wound up lately, I think."

bbyface

Jeremiah snorted. "By all means, if that is what it takes for you to get what you need done. It's just a bit of a shock, as I'm sure you realize."

cibarium

ashdown

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces