Welcome to Gaia! ::

Xa44s RPs

Back to Guilds

I do RPs 

Tags: Adventure, Fantasy 

Reply Xa44s RPs
Episode 3 planing stuff Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:22 pm
...I was just thinking about how you made my character's motivations such a huge part of the RP's plot. Are you sure that's not taking away from the main story that you wanted to tell? I mean, I thought it would be an awesome side-quest that happens later in the RP when I first said I wanted to accomplish it, but has it taken over too much of your story? (Or do you have some grand-scheme in mind? Got a synopsis for the plot yet?)

Xa44
I gotta ask ya something else: What D&D books do you have? (be them physical books or digital copies.)

I ask because I'm curious as to what kind of player you consider yourself. You can find the "official" types of players in the d&d 4e DMG on pg 8, or in the 5e DMG on page 6.

In my opinion, I'm mostly a mix of "Actor" & "Storyteller". You?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:53 pm
Haru Yates
...I was just thinking about how you made my character's motivations such a huge part of the RP's plot. Are you sure that's not taking away from the main story that you wanted to tell? I mean, I thought it would be an awesome side-quest that happens later in the RP when I first said I wanted to accomplish it, but has it taken over too much of your story? (Or do you have some grand-scheme in mind? Got a synopsis for the plot yet?)

I have a big plan the ties this RP to the last 2, if I didn't use fen it would be some generic character that I wouldn't be able to make them as interesting or have you all be as invested

Haru Yates

I ask because I'm curious as to what kind of player you consider yourself. You can find the "official" types of players in the d&d 4e DMG on pg 8, or in the 5e DMG on page 6.

In my opinion, I'm mostly a mix of "Actor" & "Storyteller". You?

I only have the 4e monster manual, I also have an app that has the 5e moster manual and players handbook
Idk what type of player I am, you have a list(with descriptions)?  

Xa44
Captain

Xa44
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm
I am a, Explorer+Instigator.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:37 pm
Xa44
Haru Yates

That's exactly what I mean. (Although knowing you, you won't be easily swayed.)

I don't see why though and because of the connection between AC and HP there is some problems

AC would keep it's value as it is necessary for the attack rolls, but nevermind if you don't like it. I'll settle for feeling like a level 1 character I suppose.

Xa44
Haru Yates
Just because you do't think it's fun does't mean that other people won't like it. The fact that single element characters are common just makes the spell more useful (assuming that the spell affects the right element), but the fact that it only lasts for a set amount of time (say 2 or 3 rounds/turns) with limited uses for encounters (i.e. 1 use per encounter) makes it more balanced. Like I said, it would probably work better as a scroll so as to not take up a learned spell or be abused by players. You can also tweak this so that the spell chooses the element to affect at random, adding unpredictability and again, making it much better as a scroll than an at-will spell.
I should also mention that just because a spell is in the spell list doesn't mean players have to pick it.

On a side-note: I do understand that this can be bad news for characters that only use one element and I actually plan to make Terran practice predominately one element. (Arcane is still on the table at the moment, but only as something that might come naturally to him as he develops due to his vampire blood (as a creature of chaos or something). If it's something that he has to study to have learned, then there must be a reason for him to have bothered learning it in the first place--and currently there isn't.)

as a magic item that is once per game it works and actually you could do that as a ritual(because rituals can do anything but just take a long time) but as a spell that would just break a lot of thing

scroll=item (usually single-use)
As I said.

Xa44
example
you are fighting a dragon
cool I cast EXA
cool now the dragon can't do anything for 2 turns...

no matter what you do a spell that just stops all other spells won't work without it having a cost that is so great that it isn't worth doing

I dunno, not being murdered by a dragon for two turns sound awesome. (Swords of revealing light would last for 3 turns, in comparison, and can only be used once. [well, one card per deck, anyways.])

Xa44
Haru Yates
I do like it so far, but I think that fire and severe burn might be too similar. (realistically, they are both caused by the same thing: fire coming into contact with your skin. How much damage usually depends on how long you remain on fire for. [This is normally a perfect example of ongoing damage. If you wanted to get into damage types, then severity might matter, but mostly because you could make certain things heal certain damage types. But that's another can of worms.)

functionaly they work differently enough to be fine, just think "if they where not both fire related would this be a problem"

Is the only difference between them different damage?

Xa44
Haru Yates

You might also consider cold/frostbite as a thing, since it's a legitimate burn, but caused by the freezing of tissue rather than the burning of tissue, but that's more of a damage type than a condition unless you are interested in making frostbite a thing that causes some sort of impairment or penalty depending on the circumstances. Like I said, it's more of a damage type, but it's food for thought. (Damage types are great for giving characters strengths and weaknesses. They also make things more interesting, and interesting is often more fun.)

this would work better as a spell rather than a new status
Haru Yates
In addition to "blind", consider adding "Deafened" as another status condition. Disadvantage on checks that would involve hearing to locate or detect things, and the character can not hear other characters speak.

maybe, but a disadvantage and a -2 would make a person kinda useless, so maybe not like that(maybe if it is only for 1 turn(that kinda doesn't make sence))

rereads, I am not going to really be doing skill checks and that would be very eh

The way that advantage and disadvantage works in D&D 5e is to roll two dice and take the higher/lower result. It's not an actual -2 penalty to the roll itself per say. (in 4e it is.) I posted what it does in D&D to give a better idea of how it might work or affect players, but feel free to adapt it or change it however you want.

Xa44
Haru Yates

Does "Mesmerized" do anything other than cause stuttering or idiot-speak? Because that sounds quite annoying. (You said no to silence, but it might do a better job of shutting somebody up when you don't want them to run their mouth of... Just saying).

this is just a for fun thing. mainly because this can be used a lot in a place like Arana to pull a lot of pranks
Haru Yates
Can amnesia cause characters to forget anything other than randomly forgetting their spells? (Forgetting who people in the party are, or what they were trying to accomplish, or where they are, might be really funny too. Situations like that make for some really funny roleplay situations without posing an outright combat risk--aside from the risk of occasionally forgetting how to cast certain spells properly, that is...)

I wanna say yes, but my question is how would this be decided. I feel like if that was just a thing that the player does and isn't a thing with rules it would work better

You can make a chart and roll on it for effect, or you can work it into the story as a side-quest to cure. Plenty of items do that in RPGs. (like how the "deck of many things" might result in an adventure to rescue a character or a quest for a magic item.)
There is a lot of potential for using this for plot hooks, or you can keep it a true status effect by having it last for a couple of hours or up to a day, or until it is cured with some sort of restore spell.

Xa44
Haru Yates
Actually, a condition that causes spells to randomly target people could be really cool too! Just don't tell the players what the effect is when they first encounter it. (Hint at the fact that something feels off, but don't outright tell them what the condition does on the first round unless their character would recognize the sensation.)

would be kinda hard to rule that and some abilities interfere with that, and some spells like raining hats already have that as part of there effect..., probably a no on this

you could use a roll to determine who or what gets targeted and it would affect allies and enemies alike. But if you don't think you can, then don't worry about it.

Xa44
Haru Yates
I should also ask about how to end these conditions. Traditionally, confusion-type spells (the ones that mess up who you should target) tend to be ended when the affected character takes damage, or when a spell is cast to remove the condition. Any idea how any of these conditions or effects might be ended?

some just end and it is listed on the effect, other than that you will need to have someone(other than the person effected) use there action to try to stop the effect
Haru Yates
Another thing to consider in regards to poison: Consider having different types of poison. Maybe some cause damage (delayed or instant), or maybe some actually cause other status effects. Maybe they cause the target to tell the truth (truth serum), or maybe they make the player transform in their sleep! The options are endless

that would cause overlap, and sleep could be abused if you get a team of people using it

That might depend. If attacking a sleeping character wakes them up, then the enemy can still attack in a round; or if you give it a low success rate, then it will be more difficult to successfully cast. You can also use saving throws to prevent or resist the effects of sleep. (Or certain races may be immune. In D&D, elves are immune to sleep. They trance at night instead of sleep.)  

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:38 pm
Xa44
Haru Yates
"Vengeful" honestly sounds incredibly risky. (Is it a spell, or a status effect?) You could potentially call this effect "rabid" or "berserk" (although most berserkers can't be taken down with a tiny cut). Getting back up to 15 HP is great, but being knocked out of commission after a single hit can remove a player from combat much too early in an encounter and for this, I don't really like the idea. (Feels more like a spell [or rather a curse] than a status effect to me.) It also makes it a funny way to reach full health and do heavy damage as long as the character can be revived after, which is a great way to abuse this.

if you put it on a spell that only inflicts someone with it when it does DMG and have it do minnor DMG it works, or if you use it on yourself it works great
this is an effect that seems strong but you need to think of "how do I get this effect to trigger" and than it falls apart

*shrugs* It just kinda sounds more like it's own spell than a status effect.

Xa44
Haru Yates
"Unconscious" should also be considered a status effect for the sake of game mechanics.

yeah, that and mana fever
Haru Yates

D&D lists being "Prone" as a condition (status effect) because it does effect the characters. (Melee attacks against a prone target generally has advantage while ranged attacks against a prone target have disadvantage ["duck and cover," lol.]) Characters that are prone normally have to use an action to get up. Otherwise, they can still crawl. (Kinda makes sense as a status effect caused by getting knocked down.)

... 90% of spells have range, and advantage and disadvantage is rare in this system

If unconscious is a condition, then it makes sense to say that prone is a condition too for the sake of game mechanics. Same goes for grappled, because it means you can't move or attack.

Xa44
Haru Yates

Let's see... *checks DM screen* Don't forget about "charmed", then maybe think about these as possible status effects and/or conditions:

I can't really make more than 1 spell with charmed, best to just keep it as a spell at that point

Charm causes a character to be charmed, so it technically qualifies as a status effect.

Xa44
Haru Yates

"petrified" (turned to stone. being stone normally gives the petrified character resistance to all damage, but they essentially remain in a solid suspended state, as if frozen in time until they are cured),

this kinda just is a OHK and that seems kinda annoying, something like this doesn't really work unless you have multiple characters

Maybe so, but it can set up another plot hook to rescue a character, as petrification can normally be cured. (Even FFIX used this at some point. Re: Blank and the Evil Forest.)

Xa44
Haru Yates
"Frightened" (where a character can't willingly move towards the source of it's fear and it has disadvantage so long as the source of fear is in it's line of sight; because it is essentially terrified),

eh, prefer less things that use disadvantage and advantage, also I don't feel like this has enough impact to where it has multiple spells dedicated to it

Think of it this way: Picture a character standing there, quivering in the shadow of a large beast, too terrified to raise her sword. Every cell in her body screams, "Run."
It's simply a state of being too afraid to fight.

Xa44
Haru Yates
"Paralyzed",

that is what amnesia is

Sounds more like it should be "stun" then. Paralysis doesn't normally affect your memory.

Xa44
Haru Yates
"Invisible" (doesn't stop creatures from hearing it),

don't think I could have multiple spells for that, so change this to a spell and it works fine(actually going to make this a lightning spell)

In terms of mechanics, it still kinda qualifies as a condition. (Not sure if you think of conditions and status effects as the same thing.)

Xa44
Haru Yates
"Grappled/restrained" (prevents the character from moving because they are grabbed or tied up or something), and

not really a status, just a thing you can do(can't really use this for spells)

It can still technically count as a condition, as it can be applied to being stuck in a spiderweb, impaled on a wall, trapped in/by a slime, or physically held or tied up.

Xa44
Haru Yates
"Exhaustion" (which is usually a penalty effect that happens when players go more than a day without food, water, or sleep. Critical role has a house rule that assumes that the PCs eat and drink during rests to avoid interrupting the flow of gameplay, but lack of sleep will still give players a disadvantage.)

already is a thing, but I do need a place for it(and more specific effects)

D&D books (DMG?) should have it listed somewhere. You don't have to copy it, but it may give you some ideas as Exhaustion goes by levels of exhaustion. I can look it up and tell you what pages if you want. (Or I can copy it off the dungeon master's screen for you.)

Xa44
Haru Yates
Effects like "Madness" are considered optional (mostly for horror campaigns and stuff), and the effect can vary. Diseases can be crafted to effect characters as well (there are diseases that range from causing uncontrolled fits of laughter, to more debilitating effects like exhaustion, disadvantage, or damage.) I personally don't like being affected by diseases in games like this, (I don't normally consider them to be fun), but the laughter one always sounds like it'd be great to roleplay!

eh, I mean I have been planning out a weather system that would include a way to get sick if it is raining(I missed a lot of stuff...first drafts yay)

Actually, that sounds kinda neat.

Xa44
Haru Yates
If you want me to look into potential damage types as well (like necrotic/decay, acid, radiant, burning, etc) then let me know. Although damage types, as mentioned earlier, really only affect resistances and weaknesses, such as Terran having some resistance to necrotic damage and https://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/posting.php?mode=quote&p=384871560#weakness to radiant damage. Other than that, it serves to give us a better idea of what the damage done ends up looking like. (e.g. acid damage is basically a chemical burn, necrotic damage usually looks like decay, bludgeoning damage or piercing damage is pretty easy to imagine, cold damage is basically frostbite, etc, etc... You can use these damage types to invent status effects or make up conditions on the spot as you see fit.

I don't think I can realisticly put this in to the point where I am happy with it

the idea of players being able to have weaknesses and resistances would be cool(and help with build veriatly) but planing this out for monsters... that is a lot of work, maybe in the 2nt edition, for now now

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement. You cast fire on a snowbeast and it does +2 extra damage. (Or +1 if you think +2 is too harsh.) Resistances can be like -1 damage or something.

Xa44
Haru Yates

blame Discord for not having a browser-based platform.)

...it does...

F**k I mean, it didn't before.(It really didn't a few months ago.) Honestly, I'm not too interested in signing up for another online community. Too much work. (And as you know, I take too long to type as-is.)

Speaking of which, flutflut said she sent you a PM. Please ignore it. She embarrasses me sometimes. redface (Yeah, working on better grammer and punctuation would help make it easier to understand what you say lots of times, but it won't necessarily help me reply any faster.)

As for your being a explorer/instigator, I can kinda see it. (Although the instigator part explains the crazy random spells.) It also might explain why we find different things fun.

Most D&D books (the ones for 4e at the very least) can often be found and downloaded with a quick google search if you know the name of the book you are looking for. You might like the "Manual of the planes" book (3.5e or 4e both would work in terms of content. Might inspire you.)
If you want me to list what I got, let me know. (It's a really long list....)  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 pm
Haru Yates

AC would keep it's value as it is necessary for the attack rolls, but nevermind if you don't like it. I'll settle for feeling like a level 1 character I suppose.

but you can't see your HP in battle sooo...

Haru Yates

I dunno, not being murdered by a dragon for two turns sound awesome. (Swords of revealing light would last for 3 turns, in comparison, and can only be used once. [well, one card per deck, anyways.])

chain mystical space typhoon, your swords are destroyed
and dragons won't be able to kill you that fast because it will use the same spells you know
Haru Yates

functionaly they work differently enough to be fine, just think "if they where not both fire related would this be a problem"

not going to be doing DMG types, soooooo

Haru Yates

maybe, but a disadvantage and a -2 would make a person kinda useless, so maybe not like that(maybe if it is only for 1 turn(that kinda doesn't make sence))
The way that advantage and disadvantage works in D&D 5e is to roll two dice and take the higher/lower result. It's not an actual -2 penalty to the roll itself per say. (in 4e it is.) I posted what it does in D&D to give a better idea of how it might work or affect players, but feel free to adapt it or change it however you want.

I'm saying if you use it with blind
Haru Yates

You can make a chart and roll on it for effect, or you can work it into the story as a side-quest to cure. Plenty of items do that in RPGs. (like how the "deck of many things" might result in an adventure to rescue a character or a quest for a magic item.)
There is a lot of potential for using this for plot hooks, or you can keep it a true status effect by having it last for a couple of hours or up to a day, or until it is cured with some sort of restore spell.

there is so much you could put on that list and not everything could aply

Haru Yates

you could use a roll to determine who or what gets targeted and it would affect allies and enemies alike. But if you don't think you can, then don't worry about it.

that would change every combat and every turn and change based off every spell

Haru Yates

That might depend. If attacking a sleeping character wakes them up, then the enemy can still attack in a round; or if you give it a low success rate, then it will be more difficult to successfully cast. You can also use saving throws to prevent or resist the effects of sleep. (Or certain races may be immune. In D&D, elves are immune to sleep. They trance at night instead of sleep.)

still free attacks are something I wanna avoid  

Xa44
Captain

Xa44
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:39 pm
Haru Yates

*shrugs* It just kinda sounds more like it's own spell than a status effect.

yes but I can use this effect for enoughf spells to where this is worth having
Haru Yates

If unconscious is a condition, then it makes sense to say that prone is a condition too for the sake of game mechanics. Same goes for grappled, because it means you can't move or attack.

grappled will only stop movement like in 5e
and prone I have no idea for how it would work

Haru Yates

Charm causes a character to be charmed, so it technically qualifies as a status effect.

if it is only one spell it is better just to keep it in the description of that spell
Haru Yates

Maybe so, but it can set up another plot hook to rescue a character, as petrification can normally be cured. (Even FFIX used this at some point. Re: Blank and the Evil Forest.)

it wouldn't be a status then. just a plot point

Haru Yates

Think of it this way: Picture a character standing there, quivering in the shadow of a large beast, too terrified to raise her sword. Every cell in her body screams, "Run."
It's simply a state of being too afraid to fight.

this is just another "you can't attack spells" at that point

Haru Yates

Sounds more like it should be "stun" then. Paralysis doesn't normally affect your memory.

functionally it is the same

Haru Yates

In terms of mechanics, it still kinda qualifies as a condition. (Not sure if you think of conditions and status effects as the same thing.)

conditions are only in spells. just think of this
if an effect has enough to it to where parts of it can be used for multiple abilities then it can be in this list

Haru Yates

It can still technically count as a condition, as it can be applied to being stuck in a spiderweb, impaled on a wall, trapped in/by a slime, or physically held or tied up.

ok so a web spell, what else can you do with it

Haru Yates

D&D books (DMG?) should have it listed somewhere. You don't have to copy it, but it may give you some ideas as Exhaustion goes by levels of exhaustion. I can look it up and tell you what pages if you want. (Or I can copy it off the dungeon master's screen for you.)

I wanna change it up so that it feels right in this system

Haru Yates

It shouldn't be too difficult to implement. You cast fire on a snowbeast and it does +2 extra damage. (Or +1 if you think +2 is too harsh.) Resistances can be like -1 damage or something.

it may sound simple but it would be way deeper than that, again 2nt edition I probably will
Haru Yates

F**k I mean, it didn't before.(It really didn't a few months ago.) Honestly, I'm not too interested in signing up for another online community. Too much work. (And as you know, I take too long to type as-is.)

Speaking of which, flutflut said she sent you a PM. Please ignore it. She embarrasses me sometimes. redface (Yeah, working on better grammer and punctuation would help make it easier to understand what you say lots of times, but it won't necessarily help me reply any faster.)

I have no problem with what she said, all of it is a valid point, think you misunderstand how I think, I don't really feel anger or pain anymore

Haru Yates

As for your being a explorer/instigator, I can kinda see it. (Although the instigator part explains the crazy random spells.) It also might explain why we find different things fun.

yeah, I like random spells...  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:11 am
Xa44
Haru Yates

but you can't see your HP in battle sooo...

So it's a battle using dice disguised as one that doesn't? (If I'll never know how much damage I take or give, then I guess I can see your point.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

chain mystical space typhoon, your swords are destroyed
and dragons won't be able to kill you that fast because it will use the same spells you know

Hey, I never said you couldn't use a counter spell. xp
And I pitty the dragon. (Where's the sense of danger?)

Xa44
Haru Yates

not going to be doing DMG types, soooooo

I mean between "Fire" and "Severe Burn". What's the difference in function?

Xa44
Haru Yates

I'm saying if you use it with blind

If you use it with blind, then the victim is deprived of both sight and sound, which means they would have to rely on the guidance or healing spells of another character (like holding hands and stuff).

I've heard somebody tell a story about one of their memorable roleplay experiences where their fighter yelled in their halfling's ear and causing deafness. When they fell under attack, one PC yelled "Duck!" and everybody did except the halfling who couldn't hear the command. The halfling ended up dead, but it was a funny story. (Too bad nobody thought to grab him and yanked him down.)

If you want to prevent people from using both, don't tie the effect (specifically deafness) to any specific spell unless the spell has an effect that is actually capable of causing deafness, (such as a high-pitched scream or really loud noise), and don't make the status effect a guaranteed success. Logic is your best friend for things like this. (even effects that cause blindness can sometimes be cured by taking an action to remove whatever is causing the effect. Like removing a blindfold or wiping the mucus out of your eyes.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

there is so much you could put on that list and not everything could apply

Well, why not?

If you roll on a chart, but you don't think the effect applies, then you can say that the effect failed, or that the character resisted the effect. (Or just don't put that idea in the chart, but I honestly don't see how forgetting _____ may not ever apply. You could roll for a value of how much is forgotten instead if you want. Might give it some spice until the character in question actually remembers how they were mad at you for the time you dumped ale down the back of their shirt! lol.

Xa44
Haru Yates

that would change every combat and every turn and change based off every spell

Sure, but remember that it would only effect they character with the status effect for a set amount of time (a couple rounds at most before it wears off and everything goes back to normal.)

You can further complicate this by making it cast a random spell at a random target, but you already have spells that do random spells, so that might not work.
You can add a chance for the spell to fly off in a completely random direction (like at somebody's house) if you want. That'd be funny. (It feels a bit more like a traditional confusion effect this way, but you can call it anything else you want to, or if you think it works better as a different effect.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

still free attacks are something I wanna avoid

Why?  

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:08 am
Xa44
Haru Yates

grappled will only stop movement like in 5e
and prone I have no idea for how it would work

Prone in this context means the same as it's 2nd dictionary definition: "laying flat, especially face downward." It is basically means you are on the ground, either because something knocked you down, or because you ducked down to avoid being seen by the goblins on the other side of the hill. Usually, if you are prone then it is because you were knocked down (most likely), you collapsed (unconscious), or because you were asleep.

As for being grappled, your movement does (mechanically speaking) become zero if you are being held by an enemy. For example, if a giant squid grabs you with it's tentacle and lifts you into the air, then you can't just walk away from it until you break free. Same goes for being held in place or pinned down by a rather strong orc. These instances are when you are truly grappled. Being handcuffed or tied up probably won't be enough to reduce your movement to zero unless you are tied to something or secured to something else that does not move, but that's up to the GM to make that call. (Everything can be considered conditional or circumstantial.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

if it is only one spell it is better just to keep it in the description of that spell

It's in two spells, technically. (Charm and Master Charm.) But as an effect that makes a player behave differently, it is till worth mentioning, especially if the effect is capable of persisting longer than one turn.

Xa44
Haru Yates

it wouldn't be a status then. just a plot point

I'm just saying that if it can be cured, then it could technically fall under "status effect".

Anything that temporarily modifies a player's original stats and/or abilities (including buffs and defuffs) may be considered a status effect.

Xa44
Haru Yates

conditions are only in spells. just think of this
if an effect has enough to it to where parts of it can be used for multiple abilities then it can be in this list

Wait, then we are not talking about actual status effects? We're talking about spell effects instead?

Xa44
Haru Yates

ok so a web spell, what else can you do with it

*sigh* It doesn't necessarily have to be a spell. It can quite literally just be a web that belongs to a giant spider. (getting impaled on something would also technically cause this effect. Anything that pins or holds somebody in place does this. Same with having a dragon lift you up in it's teeth, or a boulder or a bear trap pinning your leg. I'm sure you can think of plenty more examples.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

I wanna change it up so that it feels right in this system

Well, in case it gives you ideas:
level tab Effect
1 tab disadvantage on ability checks
2 tab speed halved
3 tab disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws
4 tab HP maximum halved
5 tab speed reduced to zero
6 tab death

Certain spells or effects in D&D can cause you to gain a level of exhaustion, but for the most part, you gain a level of exhaustion if you don't eat or drink anything in a day, or if you don't get at least 6 hours of sleep in a day. (Makes sense, eh?) Some DMs (like in Critical Role) just assume that characters eat during rests to prevent the gameplay from slowing down.

Xa44
Haru Yates

it may sound simple but it would be way deeper than that, again 2nt edition I probably will

If you say so... (I think you may be overestimating it a bit. It plays into your "logic-weakness" thing. If it's easier, you can rule it as you go. (If you use light-type of spell on an undead, then you can decide based on the circumstances if it does more or less damage if you want. Whatever makes sense at the time, but sure, you can wait til after it's been tested.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

I have no problem with what she said, all of it is a valid point, think you misunderstand how I think, I don't really feel anger or pain anymore

...eh? cat_eek

I'm just somebody with a different perspective and different experiences. We like different things and have different values as a players, so I hope that my opinions help to expand your vision and get you thinking about other ways to involve your players and keep them interested. (Because you'll find that different people have different styles and expectations for games like this.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

yeah, I like random spells...

lol, I know. As long as you aren't a murder-hobo, then it's all good. emotion_awesome
Also, I think that if you played D&D 5e, you might enjoy playing a Sorcerer with the Wild Magic character Option. (it has a chance of randomness to it.)  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 am
Xa44

I see you've introduced the concept of concentration (a.k.a. focus) into your spell list. What changed?

(I also fixed some spelling errors. There is no u in armor, so I fixed it. [unless it's supposed to be pronounced "armoor", that is. emotion_awesome ])  

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100

Xa44
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:24 pm
Haru Yates
Xa44

I see you've introduced the concept of concentration (a.k.a. focus) into your spell list. What changed?

(I also fixed some spelling errors. There is no u in armor, so I fixed it. [unless it's supposed to be pronounced "armoor", that is. emotion_awesome ])

found a way to make it more interactive
and armour should be spelled with a U(that's just how it is in the UK(side note who uses farenheit it sucks lol))  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:46 pm
Haru Yates

So it's a battle using dice disguised as one that doesn't? (If I'll never know how much damage I take or give, then I guess I can see your point.)

don't get what you are asking, but the way it works is, when you get to some point where you have taken a lot of DMG I will tells you something like "you are feeling weak", "you don't think you can fight much longer", things are starting to go dark", ect

Haru Yates

Hey, I never said you couldn't use a counter spell. xp
And I pitty the dragon. (Where's the sense of danger?)

not saying dragons aren't strong, they have a high save and they know a lot of spells

Haru Yates

I mean between "Fire" and "Severe Burn". What's the difference in function?

fire just does a consent DMG every turn, it is fairly standard
Severe Burn does more every turn and puts a big threat on the player to cure it before it does absurd DMG every turn
they function differently, they just do the same thing

Haru Yates

If you use it with blind, then the victim is deprived of both sight and sound, which means they would have to rely on the guidance or healing spells of another character (like holding hands and stuff).

I've heard somebody tell a story about one of their memorable roleplay experiences where their fighter yelled in their halfling's ear and causing deafness. When they fell under attack, one PC yelled "Duck!" and everybody did except the halfling who couldn't hear the command. The halfling ended up dead, but it was a funny story. (Too bad nobody thought to grab him and yanked him down.)

If you want to prevent people from using both, don't tie the effect (specifically deafness) to any specific spell unless the spell has an effect that is actually capable of causing deafness, (such as a high-pitched scream or really loud noise), and don't make the status effect a guaranteed success. Logic is your best friend for things like this. (even effects that cause blindness can sometimes be cured by taking an action to remove whatever is causing the effect. Like removing a blindfold or wiping the mucus out of your eyes.)

that story doesn't convince me......
if this is a rare effect it could be fine but for now I woun't add it until I get a spell for it first

Haru Yates

Well, why not?

If you roll on a chart, but you don't think the effect applies, then you can say that the effect failed, or that the character resisted the effect. (Or just don't put that idea in the chart, but I honestly don't see how forgetting _____ may not ever apply. You could roll for a value of how much is forgotten instead if you want. Might give it some spice until the character in question actually remembers how they were mad at you for the time you dumped ale down the back of their shirt! lol.

lets say, "forget something bad someone did to you" it on the list, what if no one did anything like that

Haru Yates

Sure, but remember that it would only effect they character with the status effect for a set amount of time (a couple rounds at most before it wears off and everything goes back to normal.)

You can further complicate this by making it cast a random spell at a random target, but you already have spells that do random spells, so that might not work.
You can add a chance for the spell to fly off in a completely random direction (like at somebody's house) if you want. That'd be funny. (It feels a bit more like a traditional confusion effect this way, but you can call it anything else you want to, or if you think it works better as a different effect.)

still, maybe if I used a map I could just use a d8 because that would work perfectly but for now that's a bit too much work

Haru Yates

Why?

could be abused, and being unable to take a turn can be really annoying  

Xa44
Captain

Xa44
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:56 pm
Haru Yates

Prone in this context means the same as it's 2nd dictionary definition: "laying flat, especially face downward." It is basically means you are on the ground, either because something knocked you down, or because you ducked down to avoid being seen by the goblins on the other side of the hill. Usually, if you are prone then it is because you were knocked down (most likely), you collapsed (unconscious), or because you were asleep.

I don't want to be using advantage that much, idk how else to use it

Haru Yates

It's in two spells, technically. (Charm and Master Charm.) But as an effect that makes a player behave differently, it is till worth mentioning, especially if the effect is capable of persisting longer than one turn.

master charm has a different level of control
and needing to look up what 1 spell does in a different place would be... eh

Haru Yates

I'm just saying that if it can be cured, then it could technically fall under "status effect".

Anything that temporarily modifies a player's original stats and/or abilities (including buffs and defuffs) may be considered a status effect.

saying I wouldn't want to give this effect to a player

Haru Yates

Wait, then we are not talking about actual status effects? We're talking about spell effects instead?

a status effect is a part of a spell, they can only be inflicted by using spells(in combat)

Haru Yates

If you say so... (I think you may be overestimating it a bit. It plays into your "logic-weakness" thing. If it's easier, you can rule it as you go. (If you use light-type of spell on an undead, then you can decide based on the circumstances if it does more or less damage if you want. Whatever makes sense at the time, but sure, you can wait til after it's been tested.)

it isn't that I don't want to add this but, I don't have time to do so

Haru Yates

lol, I know. As long as you aren't a murder-hobo, then it's all good. emotion_awesome
Also, I think that if you played D&D 5e, you might enjoy playing a Sorcerer with the Wild Magic character Option. (it has a chance of randomness to it.)

lol I play paladin, doing a really cool duel wielder pal build that is OP, also have 20AC
but yeah that seems cool casting random spells in D&D  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:47 pm
Xa44
Haru Yates
There is no u in armor, so I fixed it. [unless it's supposed to be pronounced "armoor", that is. emotion_awesome ])

...armour should be spelled with a U(that's just how it is in the UK(side note who uses farenheit it sucks lol))

I stand corrected.~ I looked it up (because I'm Canadian and we supposedly use the same "British English" spelling of words) and it turns out you are absolutely right. Apparently, Canadians spell it both ways, but I'm used to seeing the other spelling in just about everything because 'North America' emotion_donotwant Betrayed by my own language, that I am! Shall I change it back?

lol. I only use Fahrenheit when preheating my oven. (And why are there 12 inches in 1 foot? America should really just switch to metric.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

don't get what you are asking, but the way it works is, when you get to some point where you have taken a lot of DMG I will tells you something like "you are feeling weak", "you don't think you can fight much longer", things are starting to go dark", ect

Might be a good idea to describe how damaged we look. For example, (I'm taking a page from D&D 4e for this one), in D&D 4e, you are said to be bloodied when half of your HP (rounded down) are gone. So being "bloodied" is a decent indicator of being fairly low in health. Otherwise, narrating how much damage we appear to take would be cool. (Like being told that "it hurts to breath" after taking a rather harsh blow to the chest [broken rib?], or "darkness now ebbs at the corners of your vision" for close to pass out. [kinda like what you wrote, but with a more "down, but not out" feel to it instead of a sense of an inevitable black out about to happen.])

Xa44
not saying dragons aren't strong, they have a high save and they know a lot of spells

Yeah, you'll have to explain how saves and AC work in your system again. Is the AC like a target DC for hitting with an attack? (that's what I assumed.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

that story doesn't convince me......
if this is a rare effect it could be fine but for now I woun't add it until I get a spell for it first

Meh, I just thought it was a funny story.
Just know that loud explosions can cause hearing damage (sometimes as a temporary loss of hearing [as the deaf condition might suggest], and sometimes as irreversible damage). Then again, I'm sure that getting an arrow shot in the ear would be enough to cause hearing loss as well. (It's more of a condition than an effect, so you can probably take it off the list and play it by ear for this one's usefulness.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

Well, why not?

lets say, "forget something bad someone did to you" it on the list, what if no one did anything like that

Might want to make it less specific. Like roll a d8 on this chart...
tab "forget an important person," (could be good or bad. or a party member),
tab "forget important place" (like where you are going or somewhere you've been, or your current location.),
tab "forget what's going on", (what's happening, what you are doing, and why. May or may not include how you got there),
tab "forget childhood/past" (experiences; childhood friends, birthdays, what it was like growing up in your hometown... your past),
tab "forget spells", (x2. You might want this one to appear more than once. You can make the die a d10 to add more of this option.)
tab "forget language" (how to read and write, which I suppose is less of an amnesia thing, but it sounds like it'd be kinda fun.)
tab "forget short-term" (forget things that people tell you seconds after you hear it. Might become more annoying than funny depending on how it's roleplayed. "Forget names of people and places" might be more tolerable.)

Might make for a funny disease instead, where the effect changes every hour until cured. (In cases where somebody can tell you what you've forgotten, you can/will forget about them again within a few minutes.) I think this sounds almost as funny as the disease than randomly makes you laugh hysterically.

Xa44
Haru Yates

I don't want to be using advantage that much, idk how else to use it

Basically, we'd have to get up before we can move. That's about it. (In D&D, 1 round equals about 6 seconds in the game world. As you can imagine, getting up takes up at least half of that time, so you end up using your action to do it.) Might not matter so much if your RP allows people to stand back up as a free action.

Xa44
Haru Yates

master charm has a different level of control
and needing to look up what 1 spell does in a different place would be... eh
Haru Yates

saying I wouldn't want to give this effect to a player

Charm is in the list though. (To my knowledge, only Master Charm if off-limits.)

Xa44
Haru Yates

a status effect is a part of a spell, they can only be inflicted by using spells(in combat)

... So you can't be considered "blinded" for the sake of game mechanics if you are in a pitch dark room without a light? *throws "deafened" and "prone" effects over shoulder and out the window* emotion_skull  

Haru Yates
Vice Captain

Dangerous Lunatic

10,975 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100

Xa44
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:37 pm
Haru Yates

Might be a good idea to describe how damaged we look. For example, (I'm taking a page from D&D 4e for this one), in D&D 4e, you are said to be bloodied when half of your HP (rounded down) are gone. So being "bloodied" is a decent indicator of being fairly low in health. Otherwise, narrating how much damage we appear to take would be cool. (Like being told that "it hurts to breath" after taking a rather harsh blow to the chest [broken rib?], or "darkness now ebbs at the corners of your vision" for close to pass out. [kinda like what you wrote, but with a more "down, but not out" feel to it instead of a sense of an inevitable black out about to happen.]

I will probably change it up a lot from combat to combat because I kinda don't want this system to feel to gamey

Haru Yates

Yeah, you'll have to explain how saves and AC work in your system again. Is the AC like a target DC for hitting with an attack? (that's what I assumed.

to here is a test combat
dude- only knows fireball
guy- only knows sunbeam

dude(s15), roll 3, with mod 6, no DMG
guy(s15), roll 18, with mod 19, dude takes 3 DMG

dude(s12), roll 8, with mod 11, no DMG
guy(s15) roll 12, with mod 13, dude takes 3 DMG

dude(s9), roll 20, with mod 23, guy takes 4 DMG
guy(s11), roll 10, with mod 11, dude takes 3 DMG

dude(s6), roll 11, with mod 14, guy takes 4 DMG
guy(s7), roll 4, with mod 5, no DMG

dude(s6), roll 20, with mod 23, guy takes 4 DMG
guy(s3), roll 5, with mod 6, dude takes 3 DMG

dude(s3), roll 12, with mod 15, guy takes 4 DMG
guy(s-1) dead

hope this example helps(yeah 20 does nothing as of now(might make a custom status ailment for that))

Haru Yates
(It's more of a condition than an effect, so you can probably take it off the list and play it by ear for this one's usefulness.

yeah(going to do this for a lot of things)

Haru Yates

Charm is in the list though. (To my knowledge, only Master Charm if off-limits.)

your right about this but just adding to the description of charm"is counted as a status ailment" because needing to go back and forth for the effect of something that is only on 1 spell would just waist a lot of time

Haru Yates

... So you can't be considered "blinded" for the sake of game mechanics if you are in a pitch dark room without a light? *throws "deafened" and "prone" effects over shoulder and out the window* emotion_skull

that would be a play it by ear molment. the main priority it when it comes to this is getting things ready for my beta team, purely roleplay based effects aren't needed for the main part of the system  
Xa44s RPs

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff