Welcome to Gaia! ::

The D-Party

Back to Guilds

Because we like Diedrich. And Parties! 

Tags: Diedrich, Grunny, D-Party, Party, President 

Reply Archives: Where all old threads go to die.
Fancy Birthday Party Planning!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

D-Party

Vice Captain

Eternal Partier

12,300 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Greetings and salutations, my treasured companions! It's that wonderful time of year again--Diedirch's birthday! This year, we're doing something fancy pants: a Gatsby inspired black tie event!

User Image
fancy art by Hassli!

We need an extravagant name for the party, as well some ideas for contests and games. Please share any input you have! We're gonna celebrate in style this year!

* Crew, feel free to edit this post as needed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:48 pm
I haven't done name brainstorming yet, but here's one idea for a "black tie compliment contest". Or game, however it's presented.

It's a brainvomit draft, so feel free to rewrite/rename/rearrange however you want, if it does make it in the thread:

Let's Be Pretentious! (possible title)

There are too many "Victorian insult" simulators, don't you think? Maybe we should use all that obnoxiously sophisticated vocabulary for better things! Like compliments!

How it works:
Put together the most pretentiously wordy positive statement you can come up with, and post it as a compliment to the user above you. The more long-winded the better! It can be humorous or serious - whatever you want!

It doesn’t *have* to sound old fashioned or even make sense overall, as long as
1) it's clearly a positive message,
2) it has lots of ridiculous showy words, and
3) it at least SOUNDS grammatically correct!

Thesaurus use and old-timey slang encouraged, but keep it PC and PG-13 please!

List of possibly helpful links/lists here? Like:
https://www.onlinecollegeplan.com/sophisticated-words/
https://flashbak.com/not-up-to-d**k-100-wonderful-victorian-slang-words-you-should-be-using-9514/
Or something.

Examples:
Nonsense/humorous: “[username], your prominently honorific truffle-crumpets elicit delightfully unforeseen twitterings within the muffled chambers of my cromulent heart!”
Straightforward: "[username], I find your deliciously witty thread banter to be a pleasant and intriguing example of my preferred manner of communication. Do continue!"

You can compliment as many people as you want (because it's nice!), and over the course of the event we'll collect the quotes that tickled our fancy the most. At the end, the top three ostentatious complimenters will receive the following prizes:

[prize list]

[winner list]

Our Favorite Flamboyant Felicitations
list of quotes and names

Maybe we can come up with a “compliment chart” (or find an existing one) for people who have trouble? Like columns of verbs, adverbs, adjectives, etc. Not sure how that would work atm, since it might narrow the creativity of posts.

I guess "Top three" for prize purposes can be either people who compliment the most times overall, or people who most frequently end up in the thread's favorite quotes list (which we can all update as we go, assuming Mule-kun is the OP).

What do you guys think?  

Arynaria
Crew

Interstellar Duck

31,100 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Nerd 50

Zana Bonanza

Crew

Team Diedrich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:05 pm
I like it Ary! But maybe just random winners and/or "best" ones. Keeping track of how many everyone does sounds like too much of a hassle.

Definitely some sort of "Best Dressed" avatar contest, yeah? It could even be like a Met Gala type thing.

For a forum game, a couple years ago I tried a Diedrich trivia thing where the first right answer to quote won. Didn't get to do it as much as I had planned, so we could always bring that back.

Hm. Not really sure what one does at a fancy party...  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:54 pm
Checking in y'all! I'm gonna run art freebies.  

Llarian

Valiant Leaf

Hassli
Captain

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:03 pm
Llarian
IT'S GONNA BE GREAT!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:34 pm
Some more brainstorms:

- Guest book thread? Where people can "sign" by posting, share a message or fave memory of Diedrich, and what they present they got him. Maybe do a raffle for prize(s) of everyone who signs.

- Design President Trashcan a fancy outfit for the party! Could use a template, since those seem to do well.

- He's turning nine, right? So maybe we can work "dressed to the nines" into something? Dressed to the...ninth. Birthday party. I dunno. sweatdrop

- Instead of a "slice of cake" game, we could do hors d'oeuvres? Maybe bone apple tea it and call them horse devours.

Llarian

Awesome! I can probably volunteer silly crayon art...  

Zana Bonanza

Crew

Team Diedrich

Arynaria
Crew

Interstellar Duck

31,100 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 am
If the word "nine" is gonna be prominent, maybe some of the post titles or contest names can be a play on idioms/phrases that use the word. It would certainly call more attention to the fact that it's a themed birthday and not just a generic gala.

Some selections/ideas:

be dressed to the nines - mentioned by others already, maybe best for an 'elegant avi' contest.

be on cloud nine - potential there for the event name, I think. "Diedrich's Cloud Nine Gala" or something to that effect? It's kinda elegant in a way.

a stitch in time saves nine - Maybe the contest to design Trash Can's outfit? Or anyone's outfit. OR we could go with the "had me in stitches" meaning for stitch, and make it a joke-telling contest?

ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall - substitute something else for 'beer' to be kid/Diedrich-friendly, and it can be an RNG game where any numbers ending in 99 get prizes. (If the odds end up being too low, it can be just numbers that end in 9, but that may make the odds too high instead.)

nine times out of ten - another contest name maybe, or maybe a quote game? Or a lottery/raffle? Or an 'easier' alternative to the 99 bottles contest (which would still be a thing), but with way cheaper prizes.

a cat has nine lives - is there a way to work Rufus into the event somehow? Maybe that's too much for the time we have with minimal staff. Unless it's just as a passing reference for something. Maybe change "cat" to "grunny" and have something about Diedrich being invincible? *shrug*

the whole nine yards - I wonder if a contest can be created around this theme. No idea what it could be off the top of my head, but it's a thought. Or it could just be worked into the intro paragraph.

nine innings - No idea yet, but it has brainstorming potential.

love potion no.9 - Opens some interesting angles. Maybe a way to include the HBC?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 pm
Hassli

Where does the Birthday Party officially happen? I can start construction on a thread there ASAP. Until then I'll be making some stuff in Test.

Llarian

Valiant Leaf

D-Party

Vice Captain

Eternal Partier

12,300 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:45 pm
Llarian
Hassli

Where does the Birthday Party officially happen? I can start construction on a thread there ASAP. Until then I'll be making some stuff in Test.

April 1st, hopefully! We're working on the main thread now. How did you want to do the freebs?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:59 pm
D-Party
Llarian
Hassli

April 1st, hopefully! We're working on the main thread now. How did you want to do the freebs?

You're right, April 1st. What forum will it be taking place in? I was thinking of just making an art freebie thread either there or in Art Freebies and link back to the event thread.

Thanks!

Llarian

Valiant Leaf

D-Party

Vice Captain

Eternal Partier

12,300 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:52 pm
Llarian
D-Party
Llarian
Hassli

You're right, April 1st. What forum will it be taking place in? I was thinking of just making an art freebie thread either there or in Art Freebies and link back to the event thread.

Thanks!
We will host it in the Community Projects forum! That would work awesome!  
Archives: Where all old threads go to die.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games