26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
no
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

beaulolais

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:18 pm
are you particularly enjoying a certain book right now?

i read all kinds of things, without shame, fantasy, romance, mystery, suspense, history, travel, whatever

but they usually don't register on my "pleasant surprise" meter.

this one does!

Mountains Beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder.

it's about the medical and charitable career of Paul Farmer and his group "Partners In Health" in Haiti and elsewhere.

so, are you reaading something so good you just have to share it?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:50 pm
I am reading 1776 by David McCullough right now. No offense to historians in general, but I often find their writing very dry and boring...and in a few instances I can name, so ridiculously biased as to be worthless as actual history. This book is one of the clearest and most interesting histories I've ever read.  

clovereffect

Vogue Muffin___x
Vice Captain

1,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:38 pm
I'm not reading a book that has pleasantly surprised me at the moment, but I have read one recently.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver was a huge surprise to me. I read it for an offline book club. When I first found out we'd be reading it for one of the sessions and I read the synopsis and overwhelming sense of dread came over me - I really wasn't looking forward to it.
When I started reading, I thought all my fears would be confirmed and it would be a chore to finish. A little perseverance, however, and I ended up loving it. It's necessary to soak up every little detail of the book to get the full effect of it - it paints such a realistic picture of Africa and life in Africa that by the end of the book you feel as though you somehow belong there.

I highly recommend reading it!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:15 pm
Right now I'm reading Chainfire by Terry Goodkind (from the Sword of Truth series).

I also recently read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which was delightful. 3nodding  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

beaulolais

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:34 am
Question the Answer
Right now I'm reading Chainfire by Terry Goodkind (from the Sword of Truth series).

I also recently read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which was delightful. 3nodding

i must admit.
i was intrigues by the zombie cover!
xp  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 am
I recently finished reading 'Life At The Shallow End' by Helen Bailey.

As for what I'm reading now, I'm currently re-reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, and I'm also reading 'The Hollow' by Jessica Verday.

iEuphemia

Friendly Gaian

beaulolais

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:12 pm
what is the theme of "The Hollow"
if i may ask?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 am
Right now I'm reading To Kill a Mocking Bird, by Harper Lee. I'm actually reading it for school, but it is one of the best books I've ever read. Anyone else here read it?  

meeli13

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:14 am
@meeli13: To Kill A Mockingbird is a wonderful book. Love it! I've read it several times over the years, including at least one time for school.

I just finished The Book of Laughter and Forgetting a couple of days ago, then read Lady Susan by Jane Austen in one sitting (only took a couple of hours, it's very short), and I'm now reading The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:18 pm
Finished The Phantom of the Opera a few days ago and I'm now reading Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. I'm about 2/3 through it and so far I'm really liking it.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:11 pm
My friend just loaned me a book of the complete works of Lewis Carroll, so I'll be reading that for probably the next month razz I haven't read Carroll for probably 10 years, and the new film has inspired me to read all of his stuff again.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:26 am
. . .

I am currently pulling a Rory Gilmore and reading two books at the same time.

I am reading the first volume (3 books) of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. So far I am still in the first book, Interview With A Vampire. It is pretty good so far, no complaints (except for the tiny text. Ha ha)

The second book I'm reading is the first in the Dresden series, Storm Front. Once again, no complaints here.

I'm not too far into each one, but so far I'm loving both.

. . .

Chaton Sexuel

Chaton Sexuel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:27 am
Question the Answer
@meeli13: To Kill A Mockingbird is a wonderful book. Love it! I've read it several times over the years, including at least one time for school.

I just finished The Book of Laughter and Forgetting a couple of days ago, then read Lady Susan by Jane Austen in one sitting (only took a couple of hours, it's very short), and I'm now reading The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux.

. . .

I can't seem to get through To Kill A Mockingbird. I get past the first page and forget what happened. ]:

. . .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:31 pm
I am looking for a good book  

koops330

6,250 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Junior Trader 100

Chaton Sexuel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:09 pm
koops330
I am looking for a good book

. . .

Try the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. It's a series about a modern day wizard cracking crimes! biggrin

It's really good. I'm addicted and only on the first book.

. . .

Cover 2 Cover

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces