Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:30 am
This was a good day for the rodeo.

Sh'shi stood at the training ground with a rare smile on her face. What a day for it. The rodeo was one of those few events that that entire Weyr seemed interested in. She could already see dragons gathering on the ledges nearest the grounds and people gravitating to the edge of the fence. But really, who wouldn't want to see a Weyrling get thrown around? Especially with the grounds in the state they were. It had been raining for several days, finally breaking in the early hours of this morning. As such the grounds were essentially a mud pit. Sh'shi's high boots were already caked as she surveyed the arena. Be a shame if their soft muddy fall was interrupted by an unearth rock in just the wrong place. She didn't want any concussions today.

A week prior each pair had been given a set of riding straps. Each set had a number of flaws, ranging in severity and number. Alongside their classes they had been responsible for maintaining or repairing them. The halls tanners and smiths could assist, but only if the Weyrling specified the problem and exactly how it needed to be fixed. If they had done everything correctly then the straps would see them safely through this event. That was trial one.

Trial two would to correctly strap themselves in. Most of the class would know which straps they needed, but usually a fair number of the class wouldn't do it tight enough. Underestimating just how much force a bucking dragon could generate. Then there were the dragons themselves, who could easily get carried away and send themselves sprawling. The old Weyrlingmaster chuckled at just how much cleaning her charges would be doing by the end of today.

The time came and her class gathered, this was probably one of the happiest moods they had seen their master in as Sh'shi gestured for them all to huddle together. "Well class, this is it. Do your last checks and beg for your dragon's mercy." Sh'shi held in her hand an hour glass. "Three minutes, that's how long you've got to stay in the seat of your harness. For round one at least." They needed some kind of incentive to go through this frankly unpleasant experience, so why not make it a competition? "You get knocked out of your seat and in round two you go a minute longer. Fall off your dragon entirely and you're out. Round one though I'll be nice and falling off will only count as a slip. Don't want any of you getting out of this too soon. The prize? Winner's choice. " Within reason, obviously, but none of the class were stupid enough to try and go too far overboard.

Quote:

In this we encourage non-weyrling spectators to have a giggle at the newest dragonriders' expense.
How to play
Each round roll a number of 10-sided dice equal to the number of minutes in the round, so for round one it's 3 dice.
1 - 6 - Rider stays on
7 - 9 - Rider slips (+1 next round)
10 - Rider falls off (You're out!)

IC prize: Winner's choice for the weyrling (Exemption from chores, something shiny etc)
OOC prize: Winner's choice for the player (One free item from the shop)

TawnyAngel

Shaddaling

Faerie Princess Meeka

Scapanorhynchus

magnadearel

Dizzy_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:37 am
M'li could feel butterflies dancing about in her stomach. The day of the rodeo was finally here. She carefully buckled and secured the straps around Starelth. Oh she hoped she'd found and been able to fix all the issues of her harness. It was the moment of truth; she'd find out if not really quickly. The teen really hoped she had, for approaching the rodeo pit, she could see the quagmire of mud it had become. Before this was over, she suspected she'd dive right into the lake with Starelth to get cleaned.

She sighed softly as she stood beside her much taller green at the fence. Starelth's shoulder almost reached her head now. M'li had been worried she'd be too large for her dragon, but that was starting to ease. Now she felt sympathy for those rodeos she'd watched as a kid. She'd giggled along with everyone else as a young dragon threw his or her rider into the mud. Now it would be her turn to be tossed.

M'li glanced toward her dragon's head as she gave one more inspection and then swung up into the saddle. Go easy on me? She started strapping herself down.

It will do us no good, if I do that. I am sure Sh'shi will be able to tell if a dragon is not putting her full effort into this. Starelth rumbled soft encouragement to her rider. I am sure you will do fine.

Ugh, why did Starelth have to make sense? M'li looked up to listen to their instructor. Three minutes. Right. How long could that possibly be anyhow? It always seemed to go by too fast when she was doing something fun. She did perk up at the mention of a reward. Their choice? Interesting. Mmmmm, should we plan what we'll ask for now, or wait until after we've won to decide? If you pick something you want now, you may hold on tighter in the hopes of obtaining it. Or if you don't then you won't be disappointed at not getting it if we don't win. The green pointed out with simple logic.

She had a point. I think I'll wait. But already she had a faint inkling of what she'd ask for.

magnadearel

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 am
V' grinned as sharply as something that lived in southern jungles or perhaps in the depths of the ocean. "I like that prize!" It had been a hard two weeks but winning something of her choice? That would make it all worth it... As would beating the others come to that.

The two weeks of prep had dragged by in fits of frustration, checking every shaffing stitch and buckle twice over or more. V' did not like sitting around, she knew the value of maintaining gear that kept you alive - she knew it well - but all she'd had to worry about before was a good knife and a thick leather jerkin. A riding harness - or the straps or whatever you called it - was a whole other kettle of fish. She hated doing it. She hated knowing that it was important enough that she couldn't shirk it even more.

Lithustoth's enthusiasm had been about all that got her through the checks, the talks with the crafters as she tried to explain what she thought was wrong, the repairs, the re-checks, and the waiting. Today though she shared her dragon's excitement and shared a grin with her green as she tightened the harness around her. "That alright for you? Not pinching?"

//It's fine, but I think the one here could be tighter?//

V' grunted, nodded, and checked the strap Lith had called her attention to, it did seem like it wasn't as flush against her hide as the others and so V' tightened it up another notch before mounting up and starting to fasten the straps around herself. //Are you ready to show the others how it's done?// she grinned, leaning over Lith's neck in anticipation and taking a grip of the harness.

//You and them both!// Lithustoth replied with a mental laugh that crackled through V's mind and damn near took her breath away with its intensity. Lithustoth winced. //I'm sorry, too much? I can take it easy...//

//Never too much for me!// V' replied, grinning broader and slapping her dragon's neck for emphasis. //I'm the toughest out here, can't show them that if you don't put your back into it!//  
TawnyAngel rolled 1 10-sided dice: 3 Total: 3 (1-10)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:54 pm
//We're ready V', come on! Only one chance to be first!//

V' grinned and sent her dragon a feeling of encouragement as she trotted into the arena. //Let's steal the thunder!//

Lithustoth laughed in her mind and then bellowed a challenge aloud. It wasn't a challenge to anyone except maybe herself, a declaration that here - in front of the crowd - she was going to give her all. In this case, she was giving her all to trying to throw V' off her back!

As the countdown began V' leaned low over Lith's neck and gripped the harness; three, two, one-!  

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:03 pm
As the weyrlings filed out and started to make their checks V'lon whooped appreciation from his position on a choice ledge. "I bet two on the bronze getting his rider off in the first round," V'lon grinned to the person next to him. "He's a pretty big fella, next to the others anyway. You on for that?"

Draped on and around V'lon his three firelizards; green Weed was most interested in getting groomed by bronze Nibbles - who was obliging - while gold Snoot was bobbing and weaving her head as she stared down at the assembling weyrlings. As the first young dragon started to buck and prance she made a rather weird noise in her throat and, with bright green eyes, started to bounce and scuttle around the ledge in mimicry.  
magnadearel rolled 3 10-sided dice: 7, 3, 10 Total: 20 (3-30)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:52 pm
It didn't take long for V' to jump right in. M'li took the chance to study what V's dragon put her through, so she'd know somewhat what to expect from Starelth. Oh this was going to be a rodeo for sure. She waited for the three minutes to count themselves down. With one final check on her straps, she nudged her dragon in to take her place. She clamped her teeth and took a fresh grip. Alright Starelth. Do your worst.

The green rumbled and twisted her head just enough to peer over her back at her rider with a wicked look. Then it was on. Starelth jumped and twisted; bucked and leaped. M'li felt like she was being shaken, rattled, and rolled! More often she felt she was going in one direction while Starelth was another. If it hadn't been for the straps, she'd never have kept her seat in the first minute. As it was, she felt the straps give a bit, and she started to slip.

Desperately, M'li grabbed a strap. Clamping her legs tightly she managed to right herself. In the second minute, she stuck with her dragon fairly well. It was almost fun. But she noticed she was getting tired. Three minutes was a long time! Sweat trickled from her scalp and into her eyes, her fair didn't even bare mentioning. It probably looked like a used mop head.

Just as she believed she might make it through all three minutes, she felt it. Starelth bucked, the tension went out of a strap. M'li knew she'd not be able to save herself this time. She still tried as the green gave another tunnel snake like twist and sent her into the mud. "Pah!" The teen wiped her face as she sat up. Are you ok M'li? The green trotted anxiously over to her fallen rider. "Aye, well enough." She picked herself up out of the mud, and moved out of the way for the next pair, leading Starelth. At this point, she believed she was more covered in mud than her dragon.

magnadearel

TawnyAngel rolled 3 10-sided dice: 3, 3, 3 Total: 9 (3-30)

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am
TawnyAngel
//We're ready V', come on! Only one chance to be first!//

V' grinned and sent her dragon a feeling of encouragement as she trotted into the arena. //Let's steal the thunder!//

Lithustoth laughed in her mind and then bellowed a challenge aloud. It wasn't a challenge to anyone except maybe herself, a declaration that here - in front of the crowd - she was going to give her all. In this case, she was giving her all to trying to throw V' off her back!

As the countdown began V' leaned low over Lith's neck and gripped the harness; three, two, one-!
((Derp))  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:34 pm
Sh'shi was probably going to have some comment to say and M'li wasn't looking forward to it. Instead she examined her straps to see what went wrong where. There. The stitching had torn out. That explained the loosening she'd felt at first. Her next thought was: was it a flaw she'd missed, or just plain bad luck? If she'd been fighting a fall, would she had noticed it loosening in the first place? Would Starelth?

A pair of firelizards, one brown and one bronze, swooped up to land on Starelth, calling scolding at M'li. The teen glanced at them and scowled. "I hope you put as much effort into getting me clean as you do Starelth," she muttered under her breath at them, but audible to those around her.

magnadearel

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 am
((I'm going to be ending round 1 on Friday. If your character hasn't posted by then they'll get rolled for so we can have a canon record of how people did. Characters who aren't being played cannot win IC or OOC))

Shaddaling

Faerie Princess Meeka

Scapanorhynchus

Dizzy_Kat

Shaddaling rolled 3 10-sided dice: 1, 1, 9 Total: 11 (3-30)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:05 pm
J'in was nervous, facing possible public humiliation, doing something dangerous and just not the most pleased to be here. He sighed, fingers tracing over the straps, up and down, fiddling with the repairs. Not enough done, at least he didn't think so. The repairs just seemed so noticeable. Well done, at least what he had figured out and worked with.

And this depended on Flueth actually trying to throw him.

J'in took a deep breath and let it out, starting the process of tacking up Flueth, fingers checking to make sure the bronze's abundance wasn't pinched and they were clinched closed and tight. Sort of like a runner beast, though Flueth at least didn't attempt to suck in air.

He took a deep breath and slid onto Flueth back and checked to make sure his seat is secure, grip settle. And waited.

Flueth replied, sleepily and stretched out, yawning widely, Flueth suggested, hopeful.

J'in grumbled, and gave a startled noise as Flueth bucked, starling him and making him slip.  

Shaddaling

Wrathful Shapeshifter

Faerie Princess Meeka rolled 3 10-sided dice: 1, 7, 4 Total: 12 (3-30)

Faerie Princess Meeka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:43 pm
E'dal was excited... Thrilled... Super happy and ready to go. How could he not be? Today they would be testing their skills against each other and seeing if the knowledge he had learned from the classes, from learning as he went along...From talking to F'liel and Vesunth would pay off and he would fly or he would fall flat. Which didn't bother him as they could always get back up again.

And to have a prize as well? He grinned at the others in his class. Who was heading off first? V'? NO surprise there. And then M'li? Who was next... J'in?

OUR TURN! Wanjouth wiggled happily. Still all limbs and wings. She was slowly but surely growing into herself, even if she was one of the smaller and dainty dragons. We can do this and stay together! I know we can!

EDIT IT:

They launched pretty well. They even had stayed as one for at least a minute... Well, E'dal thought it was a minute at least. He was busy counting in his head when Wanjouth gave a little huff. It was a chortle, almost like a laugh before she shook and wiggled.

And the strap he had double checked seemed a little too tight for his tiny dragon. In attempts to make sure it wouldn't loosen and fall off, he had made it hard for her to breath. Wanjouth was chafing under the straps and anxious to get them off of her. With a surprising strength she stood still and shook for all her worth.

E'dal, caught off guard, landed hard on his bottom. Looking up at Wanjouth, he sighed. "Let me fix those for you."

Faerie Princess Meeka rolled 3 10-sided dice: 7, 5, 8 Total: 20 (3-30)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:59 pm
Deldowth was low to the ground, not amused by those who had come out to watch them. His clutch mates were taking turns trying to get their riders into the air or stay on their backs for as long as possible. He wanted to stay firmly on the ground. And not make a fool of themselves. I'sko, we are going to fall. The others will laugh at us. I will hurt my wings. I don't think this is a good idea.

I'sko, personally agreeing with Deldowth, tried to be the braver of the two. He coaxed Deldowth into standing, causing the brown beast to tower over him. Carefully, without word, he went over the straps, the saddle, and everything else on the list that they had learned. "It will be fine. We will have to fall before we get the hang of things. I had to crawl then walk. But first I had to fall."

Yes, but you did not fall so far before and now we have an audience. I wish we were by ourselves. Deldowth replied.

"No choice in the matter. Up we go, okay?" I'sko climbed onto his brown's saddle and settled into place. Once again, he checked everything once he was in the seat. "Let's just get it over with and go."

All right. And then, the brown jumped into the air and gave a toss of his body before landing solidly on the ground. I'sko was still hanging on but not by much before Deldowth launched into another buck and side step which caused I'sko to lose balance and fall.  

Faerie Princess Meeka

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:44 am
Despite Lith's best efforts to throw her off V' clung onto the harness with grim determination for the full three minutes, her heart thumping in her chest and her jaw gritted tightly. She would have liked to have the concentration to spare to do something fancy like wave at the crowd but nope, her green really was determined to send her flying. //Not today though!//

//Not yet you mean V'!//  
The_Muffin_Puppy rolled 6 10-sided dice: 8, 3, 5, 9, 9, 7 Total: 41 (6-60)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:02 pm
Sh'shi leaned against the fence as her charges made their first attempts. She'd been impressed with their diligence. They weren't all perfect with their straps, but that was the point of today. It made them realise how they needed to keep their straps in good condition. Today it was a mud puddle, but in the future it was a mile high drop. They couldn't afford to fail then.

"Very nice, V', good grip." Honestly, Sh'shi had expected Lithustoth to send her rider flying. The green was such a whirlwind. As Starelth began her attempt to knock of her rider Sh'shi noticed the give in the straps. A slight frown crossed her features for a moment, but quickly went away. As the pair left the space Sh'shi nodded to M'li. "Very good, M'li, you settled into Starelth's rhythm well considering the loose strap." It was good to see a young pair beginning to harmonise their motions. By the time they were flying in a wing they would be in perfect sync.

Next up was the largest dragon in the class. Part of Sh'shi had expected the lump to try and hold off to the last possible moment. J'in had done well to get him to start without too much hassle. "You have to expect the unexpected in flight, J'in, never know when your dragon will have to make a sudden turn," she said as the pair finished their run. Next up was Wanjouth, would be interesting to see if E'dal managed to get through this without some whiplash. As the pair's turn ended Sh'shi smiled slightly. "Too tight can be just as dangerous as too loose, given the dragon." Then there was Deldowth. Another one that Sh'shi had thought might try to wiggle his way out of the activity. The brown's movements were more controlled than his sisters', but there was considerable strength behind his jolting. "Move with him, I'sko, don't fight the force that he's creating, let it flow through you."

"Right!" Sh'shi called once they'd all gone through round one. Some muddier than others. "Round two starts at five minutes. Plus an extra for every slip or fall. Good luck!"

Round 2 - 5 dice
V' - Stayed on
M'li - Slipped once, fell off +2 dice
J'in - Slipped once +1 dice
E'dal - Slipped once +1 dice
I'sko - Slipped twice +2 dice
C'ai - Slipped once, staff rolled +2 dice
D'vika - Slipped three times, staff rolled +4 dice

TawnyAngel

Shaddaling

Faerie Princess Meeka

Scapanorhynchus

magnadearel

Dizzy_Kat

The_Muffin_Puppy
Captain

Irregular Puppy

9,450 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Dragon Master 50
TawnyAngel rolled 5 10-sided dice: 7, 2, 10, 5, 6 Total: 30 (5-50)

TawnyAngel
Crew

Predestined Inquisitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:02 am
V' grinned at Sh'shi's praise and patted Lithustoth's neck. Watching the others go was good fun and she tried to listen to what Sh'shi said to each of them in case there was any advice she could use; let the force flow through you, that bit sounded important.

As M'li and then J'in finished their turns she nodded at the two; "Nice job," she acknowledged, each of them had only had one slightly sticky moment.

Now though it was time for the next round and Lith wasted no time in bounding forward again. //I'll get her off this time!// she called enthusiastically to her siblings, and then when the timer started she flung herself into the attempt.  
Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff