Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Yarn Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:51 am
I recently finished a new skein of yarn. Yay.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I've been wanting to start up spinning another skein (I have a ton of this fiber), but I've been too busy with packing to do it. Damn moving gets in the way of my crafts. ):  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 pm
That is way cool! I've gotta learn to spin someday, perhaps after I learn to knit. whee  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Mildred Pierce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:02 pm
How can you get fibers to spin yarn?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:30 pm
Yes, really. Where do you get them? I've seen one place that sells a little bit of wool roving, but I'm allergic to wool.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:17 pm
knitting_needle_ninja
Yes, really. Where do you get them? I've seen one place that sells a little bit of wool roving, but I'm allergic to wool.
You can always try Etsy. Most people who are allergic to wool find alpaca/camelid to be ok, but you can always spin cotton, silk, angora, linen, hemp or bamboo if you're concerned.

Also, you might try seeing if you're allergic to wool or the chemicals in commercially spun wool. There are types of wool that are very very fine and the barbs on the shaft of regular wool (which is what irritates your skin), are not quite as noticeable/uncomfortable in fine wools like merino or corriedale.

Egads, I sound more like a spinner every day. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:23 pm
I get all of my fiber at Paradise Fibers. I also purchased my wheel there - they gave me a $40.00 fiber credit with the wheel.

I love yarns that have the barber pole striping. They have so much character and texture when you work them up in garter stitch. Your yarn is going to be beautiful knitted up, December. ^_^ It makes me think of something BrooklynTweed would work with. Also, kudos to you for taking such clear close-up photos of your yarn.

When it comes to life getting in the way of your crafts, I feel your pain. I'm currently preparing for my Ph.D. candidacy exams and all fiber arts have been neglected since about late May. It's driving me crazy! I just ordered some laceweight so I can jump back in with a huge ornate project as soon as I've finished the oral exam! >:3  

Tinuvial

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:40 pm
I get all of my fiber from yarn store's.
not all yarn shop's sell it, but I'm lucky to have 2 really nice ones really close. I just got some today. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:33 am
I lovee Yarn,espescially different colors!!!!!!!  

Report Bot Yumi

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:23 am
Peppermint Elf
knitting_needle_ninja
You can always try Etsy. Most people who are allergic to wool find alpaca/camelid to be ok, but you can always spin cotton, silk, angora, linen, hemp or bamboo if you're concerned.

Also, you might try seeing if you're allergic to wool or the chemicals in commercially spun wool. There are types of wool that are very very fine and the barbs on the shaft of regular wool (which is what irritates your skin), are not quite as noticeable/uncomfortable in fine wools like merino or corriedale.

Okay, I'll have to look into that. I wanted to start working with a drop spindle, but the only LYS that sells them around here wants at least $40 for one.

Merino wool doesn't seem to bother me as much, but I still can't have it on my skin. Regular wool, like you might felt with, is just horrible for me. I'm very allergic to both that and the nylon they used to make kids PJs out of in the late 80s/early 90s.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:54 am
knitting_needle_ninja
Peppermint Elf
knitting_needle_ninja

Okay, I'll have to look into that. I wanted to start working with a drop spindle, but the only LYS that sells them around here wants at least $40 for one.

Merino wool doesn't seem to bother me as much, but I still can't have it on my skin. Regular wool, like you might felt with, is just horrible for me. I'm very allergic to both that and the nylon they used to make kids PJs out of in the late 80s/early 90s.
You can make a spindle for pretty cheap. Just go to your local craft store, pick up a wooden toy car tire, a dowel, and an eyelet hook from a hardware store. All in all, it should cost around $3 or so. If you pick up more than one wooden tire, a dowel will make shafts for about 3 spindles. 3nodding  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:57 pm
ForestGreen
That is way cool! I've gotta learn to spin someday, perhaps after I learn to knit. whee

If you learn to spin, please learn how spin consistinlty. I've used home spun yarn before, but the spinner didn't spin it evenly. So sometimes I'd have a wad of yarn and other times, it was near non-existant. I hope her bolero that I made doesn't fall apart on her.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:41 pm
Peppermint Elf
knitting_needle_ninja
Peppermint Elf
knitting_needle_ninja

You can make a spindle for pretty cheap. Just go to your local craft store, pick up a wooden toy car tire, a dowel, and an eyelet hook from a hardware store. All in all, it should cost around $3 or so. If you pick up more than one wooden tire, a dowel will make shafts for about 3 spindles. 3nodding

I want to make one, but seeing as I don't even know how to use one properly, it wouldn't do me much good. ^^; Thanks for the tip, though.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Jka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:26 pm
Would you be able to make yarn like that with a hand/drop spindle?

Sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but is a drop spindle the kind that you use by hand, without a wheel? I've never spun before, can anyone suggest a good fiber to start with? D:

Oh, and do you guys buy the wool/whatever fiber you use in the color you need, or do you dye it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:31 pm
Jka
Would you be able to make yarn like that with a hand/drop spindle?

Sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but is a drop spindle the kind that you use by hand, without a wheel? I've never spun before, can anyone suggest a good fiber to start with? D:

Oh, and do you guys buy the wool/whatever fiber you use in the color you need, or do you dye it?

yes a drop spindle is the kind used to make yarn with out a wheel, drop spindle's have been around long before the wheel.
spindle yarn and wheel yarn is the same, though I can do more with a wheel.

for your first fiber, I would go with a nice wool, some thing soft to the touch. blaugh

I myself buy fiber that has been dyed, but you can by all mean's dye it. ether before, or after it's been spun.  

Lee Kushrenada

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:34 pm
here's something I spun.
I took some black wool, and added little bit's of recycled silk to the yarn. then I knitted it up into this funky glove/rist-thingy.
User Image  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces