Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Crafty Parents? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does being crafty make you a better parent or care giver?
  yes, ofcourse you get to work on the fine motor skills and patientce
  kind of, because it lets them be creative and stay on track.. but is really messy
  No, being crafty is just like a nice addition, it doesn't make you better.
  ... yea how about I better care for some gold people.
View Results

YvetteEmilieDupont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:43 pm
There is this big debate on what type of parent is best.

Alpha parent-the one that has everything planned out and full of enrichment activities. (No moment goes unlearned.)

Beta parent- the one that is more laid back, and kind of does what the kids want to do as enrichment activies. (.. no semi snappy lines come along besides make love not war.)

Where do you think crafty parents fit into this two sided catorgizing, and do you think being crafty makes you a better parent or care giver.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:26 am
I'm not sure which category my mom fits into. She seemed to expect me to learn everything by osmosis, basically I was supposed to know how to do things because I watched her do it once or she did it in my presence. I love her dearly but she is one of the world's worst teachers.
As for my enrichment activities as a kid, she didn't ever really let me choose my own, but she never really had things scheduled for me either unless you count working with my step-father as an enrichment activity.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Elysapeth

Sparkly Phantom

6,450 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:27 am
See this kind of thinking about Alpha parents and beta parents, I believe is a problem. smile I know Im gonna sound like a hippie here, but does society have to put everyone into catagories... cause I know I don't fit either type of parenting perfectly. Sometimes I let my son "run the show" and sometimes we work on structured activites.
Also I think doing crafts with your children is the amazing! It helps you and your child to be creative, spend time togeather, and have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:03 pm
Elysapeth
See this kind of thinking about Alpha parents and beta parents, I believe is a problem. smile I know Im gonna sound like a hippie here, but does society have to put everyone into catagories... cause I know I don't fit either type of parenting perfectly. Sometimes I let my son "run the show" and sometimes we work on structured activites.
Also I think doing crafts with your children is the amazing! It helps you and your child to be creative, spend time togeather, and have fun!

Yea I agree with you, I'm more of the do whatever type parenting style. I work better with older kids like when they can communicate and move around. I think with like infants I don't know what to do. I'm taking this child development class, so I'm learning what you need to do with little kids.

(I'm not a parent, but I babysit a crap ton. -.- I'm trying to get a real job.)

ForestGreen
I'm not sure which category my mom fits into. She seemed to expect me to learn everything by osmosis, basically I was supposed to know how to do things because I watched her do it once or she did it in my presence. I love her dearly but she is one of the world's worst teachers.
As for my enrichment activities as a kid, she didn't ever really let me choose my own, but she never really had things scheduled for me either unless you count working with my step-father as an enrichment activity.

Gah, that sounds horrible. crying I'm sorry. My mom doesn't teach me stuff, because she doesn't know how to explain things.  

YvetteEmilieDupont

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:46 pm
It's been a very long time since I was little enough to be taught by my mother. sweatdrop But I seem to recall her being a little of both. I know she'd plan stuff out (from outings to the zoo, to arts and crafts with popsicle sticks), but a lot of the time, she'd let me pick what I wanted to do.

I also recall her doing less with my brother. Probably because she was almost 45 by the time he was old enough to play... and he was the 2nd child. Guess I lucked out. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:29 pm
YvetteEmilieDupont

ForestGreen

Gah, that sounds horrible. crying I'm sorry. My mom doesn't teach me stuff, because she doesn't know how to explain things.

I agree, that is sad.(unfortunatly there isn't a perfect parenting guide bood... I know... I've looked!) I can't explain how to do things for others to save my life either.. O think my son just undersands me cause he's been with me since birth LoL.  

Elysapeth

Sparkly Phantom

6,450 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100

a work of art

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:12 am
I don't think any one style rules over the other. I think you must use the style that works best with your personality AND the personality of your kids. I have 4 and I don't think I was exactly the same with all of them. The each needed different things from me. But as 2 are grown and 2 are in high school... They sem to have turned out rather well. I am proud of all of them.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:32 pm
I think that there are a few things parents can do to really strengthen thier bond with thier children:
1. be flexible
2. be creative
3. spend time together
4. teach each other something

Now all four of these tend to happen pretty commonly in crafty people, and crafts are a great way to connect with children and teach them things that will not only keep them busy, but hopefully teach them useful skills. But you could have a parent interested in things other than crafts (say sports or camping or gardening) that accompishes the same things.

So yes and no. It's never a bad thing to sit down with kids and teach them crafts (unless you tied them down or something >.<)  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:43 pm
Don't feel bad for me, I figured out how to learn on my own or find my own teachers. I actually learned how not to do some things from her and my daughter and I have a better relationship now than my mom and I did when I was my daughter's age.
I do agree with Elysapeth, I don't think that there are only type a and type b, and I seriously doubt that someone fits into only one category all of the time. I try hard not to put people into boxes like that because we're all more complex than that.
I taught my daughter to crochet a few years ago. She enjoys it to a certain extent but has no real interest in learning more than a few basic stitches. I worried about it for a while but I figure she knows she can ask me to teach her new stitches any time and when she's ready to move on she will.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:06 pm
i love knitting! >.<  

_ChOcOlAtE_MuFfInZ_

sparklingbutterfly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:59 pm
_ChOcOlAtE_MuFfInZ_
i love knitting! >.<

errr that is slightly off topic and random.

I am a first year in a Early Childhood Education Class and there is always both Structured time ie circle time and non-structured time ie pick your centre time. You have to have both to have a happy kiddie. They will get bored and rebel if you don't.

So would you if your day was all class and no socializing!  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:56 am
My mother is the single-most creative person I know, and she doesn't fit into either category. Yes she'd have activities for us sometimes, but alot of the time we were left to our own devices, so long as no one was bleeding or destroying the house. She taught me to sew, and to quilt, and I watched her weave, and sew, and do nearly every creative thing I can thing of.

I think having a creative parent is a really neat thing, under the right circumstances, but as people go, they are just as likely to be bad parents, or good parents, as the ones who sit back and read, or watch TV, or play sports.

Parenting is alot more about what you teach, than how you teach. Or I feel that way, anyway. If the child grows up safe, and sound, and has a good head on their shoulders, some of that can be attributed to the parents, but you also have to look, at these kids who had the best upbringing in the world, and their siblings are perfect angels, but they're serial criminals. Parenting can only do so much.

But I've trailed off topic. I'm gonna go wander off now.

Rorek

Aki Yasu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:15 pm
Hmmm... I don't think my mom fits into either catagory. Is there one for "parental unit was a tv"? My mom is a single parent, so she was always at work trying to provide for me (I love and appreciate my mother more than I can say) I got into crafts out of sheer lonelyness and bordom.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41 pm
Love crafts ever since I was a little kid. Used to save all my money as a kid to spend in the craft store.
My son couldn't be bothered with crafts. Painting was slap some paint on the paper and hurry up give me more paper so I can slap some more on the paper. Had never heard of speed painting.Must be his dad's genes
My nieces LOVe to visit to pull out the craft box with beads,crayons paints chenille stems etc.  

eeveetaro

Dolly_Dear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:05 pm
okay i'm not a parent but I work in a retail store and I see parents either complaining an item we have is either broken or we don't have what their looking for.

which are clothes and toys, so you know I sometimes think to myself ....okay you don't like the prices or we ran out of something, you should just try making it yourself......like hats, mittens, dolls and scarves......

actually now that I think about it I guess if your a crafty parent your gonna find ways of getting your kids the thinks they need and like ^_^ yeah! and if your kids know you worked hard to make them stuff they'll be more thankful and less bratty......maybe less bratty.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff