Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Seriously, America? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:49 am
So, America, founded on democracy and freedom of all men, equality and liberty, am I right? That's what Americans hark on about, how equal and fair their country is.

Well, watch this
Edit: we have news now

This student was taking part in a debate with ex-presidential candidate John Kerry, he asked many uncomfortable and probing questions of Kerry, and refused to stop. He was asked to leave the debate (for asking questions and debating, just not the things Kerry wanted to discuss), and refused. He was then tasered, whilst held down by several officers for "violent refusal of arrest".

Held down.

I'm sure those fine officers of the law could have easily overwhelmed one snot-nosed college kid just fine. So why the need of the taser? Such measures against political opposers smacks of Mugabe's Zimbabwe to me, not only public humiliation but what - arguably - can be comparible to torture and certainly uneccesary force.

What happened to America's proclaimed love of democracy where one can state their opinion in a free way without fear of reprisals? (sarcastic comments are obvious here kids)

Sorry, but this was a sad day for America's 'democracy'. Beware kids, freedom of expresion will get you several thousand vaults up your arse in America.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:54 am
Link's not working.

Welcome to Puppet Theater.  

Divinity Rage

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:11 am
Didn't you already know that all of that "Freedom of speech" "Freedom of expression"is a big load of crap?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:06 pm
Blackrose Kaire
Didn't you already know that all of that "Freedom of speech" "Freedom of expression"is a big load of crap?

Obviously I didn't, otherwise I wouldn't have put anything about sarcastic comments  

Isobel Bellamy

-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:34 pm
Hey, I'm pissed off too. But this reminds me of an incident a couple months ago when a boy got into an argument with the security at his college. He tasered once, and because electric weapons cause lose of bodily control he fell to the floor. He was then tasered a second time when he was unable to stand.

People with tasers go out of control with them. It's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:04 pm
just for refusal to leave a debate, that earns a tazer blast!?
I live in the states, but sometimes i wonder...>

WHAT THE common sense:stupidity  

dark_LordBeld

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:48 pm
-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-
Hey, I'm pissed off too. But this reminds me of an incident a couple months ago when a boy got into an argument with the security at his college. He tasered once, and because electric weapons cause lose of bodily control he fell to the floor. He was then tasered a second time when he was unable to stand.

People with tasers go out of control with them. It's ridiculous.

The kid in the library with no ID incident?

Things like this are harder to tell.
One one side it does seem overly agressive, on the other hand the security gurds are doing their job.
It sounds a bit overzeloused, but who the hell knows what the security guards are thinking.
And with the kid doesn't seem to be making it easy while he's being lead out.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:24 pm
I've long been a moderate in this sort of story, because I don't think it's nearly as extreme as either side reports it.

Does police brutality exist?

Yes. But not every cop is looking for a chance to beat you into submission, nor do most cops think that hurting people is fun. Most cops want to go about their jobs without any violence, any trouble. Certainly, there is a minority that abuses their position of power, but it is a minority.

Is freedom of speech and expression complete and uncompromised?

No. There are limitations, and there is censorship. But we don't live in a totalitarian society. Bill Maher calls President Bush a retard quite regularly, and he isn't sentenced to death. People are, for the most part, able to express their opinions.

The blur in freedom comes from two sources-

A) Public Speaking - While extreme or vulgar comments are accepted within private areas, are they appropriate within the public eye?

B) Harrassment - When does "freedom of speach" stop being expression and start being harrassment?

Unless I see a transcript of the actual conversation between the man and Kerry, I'm going to reserve judgment on who's in the wrong here.  

GilAskan
Crew

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:38 am
GilAskan
I've long been a moderate in this sort of story, because I don't think it's nearly as extreme as either side reports it.

Yes. But not every cop is looking for a chance to beat you into submission, nor do most cops think that hurting people is fun. Most cops want to go about their jobs without any violence, any trouble. Certainly, there is a minority that abuses their position of power, but it is a minority.

No. There are limitations, and there is censorship. But we don't live in a totalitarian society. Bill Maher calls President Bush a retard quite regularly, and he isn't sentenced to death. People are, for the most part, able to express their opinions.

A) Public Speaking - While extreme or vulgar comments are accepted within private areas, are they appropriate within the public eye?

B) Harrassment - When does "freedom of speach" stop being expression and start being harrassment?

Unless I see a transcript of the actual conversation between the man and Kerry, I'm going to reserve judgment on who's in the wrong here.

Very good choice to reserve judgement for the moment, but I'm generally anti-cop because they only help themselves (eg. people who pay ther paycheck - rich people, not tax payers btw, the rich have the power). Plus the fact is, even if he was telling Kerry he was an idiot and his mother as a street whore, the kid was still out numbered when tasered, and in a busy campus there's probably little chance he ould get too far if he did a runner.

True, after virginia tech they're going to be more jumpy, the kid couldn't have had any major weaponry on him, any cop could see that if they're worth their salt. But, they still tasered him for what seemed to me to be little reason.

I'm a little worried for my litle island country seeing as we're getting taser holdin police, I do't wanna get zapped for shouting at a politician - something I see myself doing if I get the chance  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:30 am
Blackrose Kaire

I agree with you..  

Devils_lilboy

Snows Wyntre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:31 pm
Three words: Common sense isn't.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:36 pm
Isobel Bellamy
GilAskan

Very good choice to reserve judgement for the moment, but I'm generally anti-cop because they only help themselves (eg. people who pay ther paycheck - rich people, not tax payers btw, the rich have the power). Plus the fact is, even if he was telling Kerry he was an idiot and his mother as a street whore, the kid was still out numbered when tasered, and in a busy campus there's probably little chance he ould get too far if he did a runner.

True, after virginia tech they're going to be more jumpy, the kid couldn't have had any major weaponry on him, any cop could see that if they're worth their salt. But, they still tasered him for what seemed to me to be little reason.

I'm a little worried for my litle island country seeing as we're getting taser holdin police, I do't wanna get zapped for shouting at a politician - something I see myself doing if I get the chance

methinks cops shouldn't have tasers.  

Ayame_Rikimayu

perrenthezombie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:00 pm

http://www.netenfo.com/caught_on_tape.htm

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=18371987

Some other good videos that show what happened before and after. I agree with the msnbc news. The guy was kind of an idiot, but arrested and tasered? More than a little ridiculous. And while all this was going on, Kerry was answering his questions. hah.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:13 pm
Ayame_Rikimayu
methinks cops shouldn't have tasers.

What then?

Mace? Would you rather have mace sprayed in your eyes than be tased?

Night sticks, like they used to? Would you rather be beaten and bruised than be tased?

Honestly, I think tasers are about as humane as any stun weapon can be, with the exception of flash-grenades. Which are expensive, and stun more than just your intended target. And cause a panic.  

GilAskan
Crew

My Lovely Ora

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:45 pm
Heaven forbid that so-called free citizens exercise their ability to criticize politicians. rolleyes  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff