Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
People Who Look at You Weirdly? Scratch that:: Strangely! =P Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:16 pm
So, the other day, I was talking to some friends, and they were talking about some girls they had taken to a dance that had happened over the weekend. One of the guys said a name, but I didn't hear, so I said, "You took whom to the dance?" Then they stared at me.

Was it because I used whom incorrectly (I probably did)? Or was it just because nobody uses whom anymore?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:23 am
Most likely becuase no one uses it anymore. I have no idea if you've used it in the right context or not. My grammar puts me to shame at times. It's the same if you drop "queer" in a sentence and you're not making reference to the gay community. It's a shame because I do like the word.

It's irritating at times when people have no idea about language. In class I've noticed it makes me come across as posh although I'm far from it.

little_evil_goth

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:21 am
Your usage sounds right to me. In your sentence, "whom" is the direct object, therefore it's right because "whom" is the objective form.

I'll have to agree that nobody uses "whom" any more. I don't even think I was taught to use "whom" when I was at school. It's always "who" for both subject and object.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:27 pm
I think if you used "strangely" it would be better than "weirdly"... it sounds less... weird. ha.  

winry_chan13

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:37 pm
Meh, I look this stuff up on my own, nobody teaches it to me. The English objective case is only half of the German accusative one...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:21 pm
You should stop them dead in their tracks if you use that word again and they start to think crazy stuff about you. Tell them "I like using that word and...?" 3nodding  

Stormy Snuggles

3,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Team Edward 100

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:22 pm
Rainy Nightz
You should stop them dead in their tracks if you use that word again and they start to think crazy stuff about you. Tell them "I like using that word and...?" 3nodding

That would so work...
whee  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:08 pm
It's true that a lot of young people probably don't use "whom," but don't let that stop you! It's a perfectly good word. 3nodding (You did use it correctly, by the way.)  

Woodnut

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:55 am
I've never used "whom," at least in speech. I should try that sometime.

In novels, it's another story. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:56 pm
"Who" or "whom" is used differently depending on how it's used in the sentence. It has the same association as the words, "he" and "him." Grammatically correct, the words "who" and "whom" are not interchangeable, although in everyday speech, we incorrectly use it that way.
Depending on whether it's the subject or object, it's used differently.

Example
Who are you?
or
You are whom?
We tend to use only the word, "who," even though that's wrong... Some people think using the word, "whom" is weird...  

Naokohiro

Woodnut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:11 am
Naokohiro
"Who" or "whom" is used differently depending on how it's used in the sentence. It has the same association as the words, "he" and "him." Grammatically correct, the words "who" and "whom" are not interchangeable, although in everyday speech, we incorrectly use it that way.
Depending on whether it's the subject or object, it's used differently.

Example
Who are you?
or
You are whom?
We tend to use only the word, "who," even though that's wrong... Some people think using the word, "whom" is weird...

I agree with everything you said except your example. I believe the second question should also use "who" ("You are who?"). To use your comparison to "he" and "him": If someone called you and said, "Is this Naokohiro?" you would answer, "This is he" (not "This is him").

To use the objective form, it has to be the object of something (an action or a preposition). For example, you could say, "Whom did you punch?" or "You punched whom?" and in both cases, "whom" is the object of the action (did punch, punched). In the sentence "To whom was that punch directed?" "whom" is the object of the preposition "to".  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:55 am
little_evil_goth
Most likely becuase no one uses it anymore. I have no idea if you've used it in the right context or not. My grammar puts me to shame at times. It's the same if you drop "queer" in a sentence and you're not making reference to the gay community. It's a shame because I do like the word.

It's irritating at times when people have no idea about language. In class I've noticed it makes me come across as posh although I'm far from it.

Truer words have not been spoken. Even my mother, a language teacher, stops and stares at me when I say, "queer." And yet it is perfectly fine to use gay as a derogatory term?!  

Chocolatepanacea

saiducky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:08 am
I have to say, I don't use whom often. However, I think you used it correctly.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:18 pm
You used, "whom" correctly, I am sure.
Personally, I like to throw people out of whack by replying to their contemporary word usuage with old-fashioned understanding. For example, if someone asks, "Are you gay?" I'll reply with, "Of course...I'm very happy! Aren't you?"  

Bruce of House Banner

6,650 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250

Ithaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:09 pm
Okami no Tsubasa
You used, "whom" correctly, I am sure.
Personally, I like to throw people out of whack by replying to their contemporary word usuage with old-fashioned understanding. For example, if someone asks, "Are you gay?" I'll reply with, "Of course...I'm very happy! Aren't you?"

That's fun. xD

I also love the word queer, in its archaic usage.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff