Killing God Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:37 pm
I was bored yesterday and a thought popped into my head :would it be possible to kill a god? Not all mythologys consider gods to be immortal. So assuming there was a being or group of beings strong enough, what would happen if a god were to die? Would their be devistation, would life continue as usual, or would the sky rain chicken soup?

I have the wierdest thoughts... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:07 am
I think the Norse gods are always dieing in some story or another...

To kill a deity that is immortal, there is usually something that makes them mortal, or is able to penitrate their immortality. I've only heard this through Hollywood, though, so don't hold me to it actually being in a mythology.

If we look at the plot of God of War (warning: spoiler), if one kills a God, he or she must take the deity's place, so that is one possibility (I'm not sure if that has happened in other mythologies, as well sweatdrop ). I'm not sure of what other possibilities there could be; I'll leave that up to the others. wink  

Jameta
Captain

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:00 am
As my views on deities, are that they are beings dreamed up by humanitites collective unconscious (yes, I'm quoting Neil Gaiman), I don't think it's really possible to kill them per-say as you state it. I do think it's possible for them to fade away though.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:49 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
As my views on deities, are that they are beings dreamed up by humanitites collective unconscious (yes, I'm quoting Neil Gaiman), I don't think it's really possible to kill them per-say as you state it. I do think it's possible for them to fade away though.
kinda like in the merlin books, magic faded away from the world because people stopped beliving in it  

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:37 pm
SiegeDragomon
Nihilistic Seraph
As my views on deities, are that they are beings dreamed up by humanitites collective unconscious (yes, I''m quoting Neil Gaiman), I don''t think it''s really possible to kill them per-say as you state it. I do think it''s possible for them to fade away though.
kinda like in the merlin books, magic faded away from the world because people stopped beliving in it
I don''t think I''ve read those, but I gt your meaning. Pretty much, yeah.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:23 pm
Nothing is every truly destroyed. So the answer would be a no, though that begs further explanation, doesn't it? Matter isn't created or destroyed, so in effect we ourselves are all immortal. Just not unchanging. An unchanging universe would simply not exist as we are able to comprehend. All things are in motion, and without that, reality would cease to exist. Things simply change forms. So you can 'kill' gods, so to speak, but they simply transition to another form. Did that make sense?  

Starlock
Crew

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:34 pm
Starlock
Nothing is every truly destroyed. So the answer would be a no, though that begs further explanation, doesn't it? Matter isn't created or destroyed, so in effect we ourselves are all immortal. Just not unchanging. An unchanging universe would simply not exist as we are able to comprehend. All things are in motion, and without that, reality would cease to exist. Things simply change forms. So you can 'kill' gods, so to speak, but they simply transition to another form. Did that make sense?
me and my friends made the same theory domokun  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:35 pm
If you could kill a god, it would be like ripping random parts out of your car and then trying to drive it- just see what happens. Why anyone want to do that?^_^'

But I doubt that you could, honestly- even Ap/p, who is not a ntjr but more of an adversary worthy of one, can't be destroyed completely. The gods turn him away time after time, chop him up into bits, fill him full of knives and spears and tie him up, and sometimes even trample him underfoot, but he's always there again the next day- just waiting to be stomped upon again, I suppose. You'd think he'd give up after all this time.^_^'  

WebenBanu

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:41 am
WebenBanu
If you could kill a god, it would be like ripping random parts out of your car and then trying to drive it- just see what happens. Why anyone want to do that?^_^'
You make the best quotes! blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:28 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
You make the best quotes! blaugh

Thanks! ^_^  

WebenBanu

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:19 pm
WebenBanu

But I doubt that you could, honestly- even Ap/p, who is not a ntjr but more of an adversary worthy of one, can't be destroyed completely. The gods turn him away time after time, chop him up into bits, fill him full of knives and spears and tie him up, and sometimes even trample him underfoot, but he's always there again the next day- just waiting to be stomped upon again, I suppose. You'd think he'd give up after all this time.^_^'
what is ap/p and ntjr  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:45 pm
SiegeDragomon
what is ap/p and ntjr

Ap/p is a very large serpent-like creature in ancient Egyptian mythology, a fighter who represents the forces of chaos and un-creation which threaten our world on a daily basis. He is known to lie in wait for the solar barque and attempt to capsize it and attack Ra on His journey through the underworld. For this purpose, another god named Stkh is placed at the prow of the boat- He's generally considered to be the only one strong enough to deal the final blow to Ap/p, though lots of other gods help out. I write the word with a slash through it in deference to AE (ancient Egyptian) beliefs about the potency of written words- they would often mangle the signs used to write dangerous names, symbols, or words. Images of this serpent would usually show him with knives stuck in his head and back, and sometimes cut completely in half with three dots (representing grains of sand) separating the two halves of his body. I use the slash as a knife to cut the word in half when I write it.

Ntjr is the AE word for "god," and I use it to refer to ancient Egyptian gods specifically because They have Their own special qualities which I feel set Them apart from other gods. So when I speak of what the gods are like, I usually mean ancient Egyptian gods rather than just any god- to avoid assumptions that I'm speaking about gods in general, and in part because I'm used to using the term within the Kemetic community, I frequently type "ntjr" instead of god. The AE equivalent of goddess, btw, is ntjrt. Plural (masculine) is ntjrw, and plural (feminine) is ntjrtw. There is also a special Dual form of the word which I may use to associate two gods Whom I feel have a very special relationship with one another, but outside of the Kemetic community I will generally just use the English word "Two," with a capital T. I wrote some on the basics of AE conceptions of god elsewhere on the forum- it's still a work in progress, as I'm currently reading a fascinating book on the subject by Eric Hornung, but you can read it here if you're interested.  

WebenBanu

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:34 am
oh you mean apep why were you using a /  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:25 am
WebenBanu
I write the word with a slash through it in deference to AE (ancient Egyptian) beliefs about the potency of written words- they would often mangle the signs used to write dangerous names, symbols, or words. Images of this serpent would usually show him with knives stuck in his head and back, and sometimes cut completely in half with three dots (representing grains of sand) separating the two halves of his body. I use the slash as a knife to cut the word in half when I write it.

^_^  

WebenBanu

Panther Nightwind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:02 pm
SiegeDragomon
Nihilistic Seraph
gonk The poor faeries crying

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces