Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How much of a Grammar Nazi are you? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How much of a Grammar Nazi are you, anyway?
  One mistake, and I'll rain fire on the person who made it.
  I'll tell them they made a mistake, but be nice about it; only if it's a huge mistake.
  As long as I can read it, I'm fine.
  lol why u haet txt tlk!!111
View Results

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:29 am
Yeah, we all know that bad spelling and grammar are annoying. But how annoyed do you get? Do you tell the person, or let it go? Does it depend on the severity of the offense?

Personally, as long as I can read it, I'm fine with it; it's just that "txt-tlk" really gets me worked up, since I have to translate it to read it.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:36 am
MyOwnBestCritic
Yeah, we all know that bad spelling and grammar are annoying. But how annoyed do you get? Do you tell the person, or let it go? Does it depend on the severity of the offense?

Personally, as long as I can read it, I'm fine with it; it's just that "txt-tlk" really gets me worked up, since I have to translate it to read it.

Agreed. But, I dont bother reading anything in txt-tlk. (At that point, I safely assume this person has no valid points or anything relevant to say at all.) Translating a paragraph of jiberish just to realize he has nothing to say is too fustrating for me to handle anymore.  

xboxzombie

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:32 pm
To be honest, because I'm a writing tutor, patience just comes with the job. Outside of it, I try to be as patient just as much as I am on the job. Sadly, my friends make fun of me because of my job, and that REALLY tries my patience, so I get mad if they make mistakes. sweatdrop I am trying to change, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:27 pm
I'm usually more tolerant of txt tlk here because it's the Internet, and it's not like I can actually do anything about it. Usually I kind of respond with a cynical comment, like "Do you write your homework like that?" and others.

However, txt tlkers in the "real world" will not be accepted!  

CristoVII

kuro xx mae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:50 pm
Occasionally I do tell people their mistakes, but sometimes I just leave it. Some people can be quite defensive, but I do hate it when people make some mistakes like "there" when it should be "their" and "your" when it should be "you're".  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:19 pm
I make mistakes like that ALL the time. And when I see someone else doing it, I don't mind, but if they start doing it often, then I am inclined to correct the poor uneducated soul, before the Gestapo can get to them.  

Psychotic Daizy Dukes

O.G. Gekko

suscha

Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:14 am
I tend to correct people in real life far more than online.
People in the real world know me and can handle my annoying tendencies better than some poor soul on an online forum. xD

The other day my friend was talking about some guy and referred to him as "the most ugliest guy in the world."
I just stared at her and said, "Please, rephrase that."
She gave me a puzzled look. "What, don't you think he's ugly?"

rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:56 pm
At work we leave notes for the manager when we want a day off. Several people misspelled his name! So I anonymously went through them and corrected his name on several. Funny enough, the next time someone left a note, they asked how to spell his name first.  

Amaya84

Shikaeii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:29 am
My friends talk so fast I can't quite catch the grammar errors that they made, and text talk (As in Lol, Wtf, Lmao, Rofl etc etc) has finally penetrated my brain... so that I use it as well eek
I still text (with my mobile phone) other people with proper spelling and punctuation domokun  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:54 pm
If I can read and comprehend whats being said I'm usually fine. I generally use decent grammar in texting, unless I'm in a hurry.
I tell people if they repeatedly mispell a word or something, and hopefully people would do the same for me. I'd be a bit embaressed if I were spelling a word wrong over and over again, not counting typoes. >.>

-Ever Clever-

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:03 pm
If it's simple grammatical errors like switching up words (e.g. their, they're), I'm pretty much fine with it.

I get ticked off the shortening of words (like u for you and ur for your/you're), and I get pissed when people don't understand that some letters need to be capitalized.

When people write in leetspeak, all I see is illegible gibberish and that's where I draw the line.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:39 pm
- -
- -

..Some quiz somewhere told me I'm grammar!Hitler. o_o; I come across lots of less-than-great grammar, and I usually don't say anything about it unless I'm feeling particularly mean, or it's just that bad. :/ ...Usually.

- -
- -

Guttergoo

Fashionable Gawker

8,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pup in Fluff

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:46 pm
I'm the person who's always saying, "We live in America. Speak English."

However, not everyone on Gaia is from America so I try to tolerate some of it... as long as it's not too horrific. Usually though, I'll say something to bring it to their attention how annoying it is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:08 pm
Whenever I see someone make a grammatical error in an argument or insult, I raise hell on him or her.

However, to most other people, I'm way too damn lenient. Maybe I should start criticizing grammar more. sweatdrop  

The_Ky-Guy

Abnormal Munchkin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:54 pm
I very rarely correct people but it hurts me when people use txt tlk and such.
I also die a little every time the people on the radio say "There's a lot of cars out there"  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff