Why are YOU here? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Beth Turner
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:36 pm
Well, I know why I'M here, but why are you here? I hope you're here for the same reason as I am. I am a fairly old Gaian. I've owned this User ID for more than a few years now, met thousands of Gaians, and had my share of a penny or two of gold. But the real reason why I dash to my college's on-campus computers for a few minutes of Gaia time is not for the gold or aquaintances. I really hope to find a few people and make some really GOOD friends.
On my quest for finding good friends I found a lot of bad ones. I also found a lot of people- Gaia has soup to nuts (and a little heavy on the nuts) who were confused on a lot of topics, especially Christ.
That's when I found my 'niche'. In the beginning I tried what a lot of young Christians like I was tried and still try- mortal combat. But 'mortal combat' with 'the enemy' as I saw them, broke me out in tears as often as not and really depreciated the value of my innocent computer's monitor.
I actually left Gaia for about a year, vowing never to return to talk to 'those people' again. However, in that year I found a few good verses that endeared me again to Gaia. Verses like:

Proverbs 14:7
"Stay away from a foolish man, for you won't find knowledge on his lips."

1 Thessalonians 5:9
"For God didn't appoint us to wrath, but to the obtaining of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ"

Proverbs 12:19
"Truth's lips will be established forever, but a lying tongue is only momentary. "

Proverbs 15:2
"The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouth of fools gush out folly. "

Proverbs 21:23
"Whoever guards his mouth and his tongue keeps his soul from troubles. "

James 1:26
"If anyone among you thinks himself to be religious while he doesn't bridle his tongue, but deceives his heart, this man's religion is worthless. "

2 Timothy 2:24-26
"The Lord's servant must not quarrel, but be gentle towards all, able to teach, patient, in gentleness correcting those who oppose him: perhaps God may give them repentance leading to a full knowledge of the truth, and they may recover themselves out of the devil's snare, having been taken captive by him to his will."

I realized that those people who confuse others on the Bible and truth are NOT the enemies, but the victims. After that time, a time I believe God planned to teach me a very important lesson about my own pride and lack of true knowledge, I returned to Gaia with a new purpose- to see if anyone would listen to the truth.
It was only after two full years of searching that I finally found a few people who did not want to quarrel, who did not want to speak and shout their opinions, but to listen, understand, and to learn from the Bible.
Those people are the ones who inspired me to save up the gold to start a guild for like-minded people: People who want to shed light through the Bible, and people who want to learn what the Bible's verses have to say.

So, my friends, it is my wish that we can all get together here in this place to glorify and worship God through close examination of the Bible. I sincerely hope you all will join in my quest, so that we can provide some Biblical truth to those other few individuals willing to learn.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:21 pm
Well, I'm here because you invited me Ms.Turner! wink I myself am a fairly old Gaian. Been on since late '04...but that account as wrongly banned crying And I had to gain most my stuff back....but anyway I digress. I know what you mean about there being a lot of nuts on Gaia. I don't even really go to the ED much anymore because of those nuts. I am a Roman Catholic. And I've been studying Apologetics for a few years now, and am more then willing to explain and defend my Catholic faith. I've study much on many Protestant denominations as well as study with "Jehovah's Witnesses" for about a year. I hope to represent the Catholic faith in it's fullest here. Oh and some reasons for my faith are listed as follows:

1 Tim. 3:15, 2 Pet. 1:20, Matt 10:22, Matt 25:14-46, Rom 11:22, Gal 5:19-21, Jas. 2:20,24,26, Is. 22:20-23, Matt. 16:18-19.  

fagon

Beth Turner
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:28 pm
Hmmm.... all good verses. Glad to meet another 'old' Gaian, ha ha. I've been on here since '04 too. 3nodding That was before I even MET my husband eek
Wow- I was young!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:06 pm
I'm here because you invited me to join. mrgreen

But ya, I've been on Gaia since March of '05 (my original account is Gaz51, but I abandoned it). I'm Baptist, but most of my family is Catholic. My grandmother is a secretary at the St. James Catholic Church in Ogden, Utah, and my other pair of grandparents use to go to mass daily at Victoria, Kansas before my grandmother couldn't go anymore because she has an oxygen machine.

I only just recently became active in ED, and I mainly participate in debate threads about either Christianity (to defend it, of course) or Evolution (to oppose it, of course). I have studied up on both sides of what I debate about, since it does help to know as much as I can about what I'm debating against. I prefer to only hold debates with people who don't insult me or who at least try to be level-headed. An example of this happened about a week ago, when I got in a small debate with an evolutionist over creation. When I used Ken Ham as a source, they instantly labeled him as a liar. When I brought up the four sources outside of the Bible that mention Jesus, they mentioned how one of them had been slightly modified and acted as if that disproved all 4 sources completely. Later, after I had stopped responding, the person used something that Answers in Genesis had said as a source against something someone else had said, even though it had been founded by Ken Ham, the very same person they called a liar. And now I'll stop myself before I go on a complete rant like I can be prone to do.

So that's me, I suppose. I'm glad to be a part of this guild! ^.^

P.S.: I like your choices in verses in the opening post. 2 Tim. 2:24-26 is one of my favorites.  

Into_the_Red

joeb56

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:12 pm
I have ony been on a couple of months. My daughter got me interested. I think this is a fantastic place. I like posting in the forums and discussing all kinds of subjects. It makes me sad how ignorant some are. I don't mean to disparage. I mean that they just don't know.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:12 pm
Into_the_Red
I'm here because you invited me to join. mrgreen

But ya, I've been on Gaia since March of '05 (my original account is Gaz51, but I abandoned it). I'm Baptist, but most of my family is Catholic. My grandmother is a secretary at the St. James Catholic Church in Ogden, Utah, and my other pair of grandparents use to go to mass daily at Victoria, Kansas before my grandmother couldn't go anymore because she has an oxygen machine.

I only just recently became active in ED, and I mainly participate in debate threads about either Christianity (to defend it, of course) or Evolution (to oppose it, of course). I have studied up on both sides of what I debate about, since it does help to know as much as I can about what I'm debating against. I prefer to only hold debates with people who don't insult me or who at least try to be level-headed. An example of this happened about a week ago, when I got in a small debate with an evolutionist over creation. When I used Ken Ham as a source, they instantly labeled him as a liar. When I brought up the four sources outside of the Bible that mention Jesus, they mentioned how one of them had been slightly modified and acted as if that disproved all 4 sources completely. Later, after I had stopped responding, the person used something that Answers in Genesis had said as a source against something someone else had said, even though it had been founded by Ken Ham, the very same person they called a liar. And now I'll stop myself before I go on a complete rant like I can be prone to do.

So that's me, I suppose. I'm glad to be a part of this guild! ^.^

P.S.: I like your choices in verses in the opening post. 2 Tim. 2:24-26 is one of my favorites.

Thank you, I'm glad you're here!
If you feel knowledgeable, why don't you start our first 'answers' post about Creationism and Evolution? I'd love to study your sources...  

Beth Turner
Captain

Beth Turner
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:14 pm
joeb56
I have ony been on a couple of months. My daughter got me interested. I think this is a fantastic place. I like posting in the forums and discussing all kinds of subjects. It makes me sad how ignorant some are. I don't mean to disparage. I mean that they just don't know.

Yes, exactly. It IS frightening. Your daughter is on Gaia too? Great! So is my little sister, ha ha... (She's one of my 2 friends, ha ha...)  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:16 pm
Beth Turner
joeb56

Yes, exactly. It IS frightening. Your daughter is on Gaia too? Great! So is my little sister, ha ha... (She's one of my 2 friends, ha ha...)
I can't believe how many people on Gaia have kids! eek I'm 20, but have been single all my life sweatdrop  

fagon

Chii Motosua
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:31 pm
Right. Hi Sis! I'm here because you invited me!

Thank you so much! I'm really happy to be able to have someone like you (of course) on gaia with me. heart I can always have SOMEONE to talk to on here, and if you're not online, I can CALL you anyway. biggrin mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:37 pm
fagon
Beth Turner
joeb56

I can't believe how many people on Gaia have kids! eek I'm 20, but have been single all my life sweatdrop

Awe- being single is Ok. Jesus was single...  

Beth Turner
Captain

fagon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:39 pm
Beth Turner
fagon
Beth Turner
joeb56

Awe- being single is Ok. Jesus was single...
rofl VERY good point. rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:03 pm
whee I'm excited to be here!

Like many of you guys, I was also invited. I joined willingly because often my friends question me relentlessly about Christianity. It's feels nearly impossible to argue their logic...so I don't. sweatdrop I'd really like to be able to explain to them why I'm a Christian. In the end, it seems I only end up doubting myself.

Soup Opera

Seventh_Son

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:09 pm
I'm also here because Beth invited me, and I am very thankful for it! 3nodding I've been trying to get involved in Christian communities...online and at school...and this looks like just the thing I need. I've had some rough patches and could use a strong community, but I also hope to help buttress it!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 pm
Soup Opera
whee I'm excited to be here!

Like many of you guys, I was also invited. I joined willingly because often my friends question me relentlessly about Christianity. It's feels nearly impossible to argue their logic...so I don't. sweatdrop I'd really like to be able to explain to them why I'm a Christian. In the end, it seems I only end up doubting myself.

Don't feel badly that you sometimes doubt. Non-Christians can sound logical and ask very difficult questions. I think if you stay in here and ask questions, you should be able to find the answers that you are looking for. I don't believe there are any new questions concerning Chrisitanity out there. Sometimes they are asked in a different way but they are still the same questions. The best thing is never get angry and lash out. That can hurt worse than saying "I don't know." "I don't know, but I will find out" is probably the best answer.  

joeb56

ChikiMongo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:49 am
Well< i'm here because you invited me....THANK YOU!!!! This sounds like an amazazing place smile I love to talk about God and have fellowship with other believers. I am Vice President of a Christian guild called, Dedicated Unto Him. It actually has some debates because we allow people in who are not Christians, but are curious about our faith. Those people don't actually seem to be as interested in learning as in debating, but what am I to do, eh? Anyways, it'll be nice to go to another Christian guild and be around all you guys. I love the God and I love reading His word....it fills me with such peace and joy!
By the way...if any of you want to check out my guild...feel free! We'd love to have you.  
Questions and Answers

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff