Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Extended Discussion
Time Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alchemist of the Twilight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:09 pm
What is Time but an artificial construct created by man to categorize everything that has and will happen?

It's something I was just thinking about (for some reason)

(I did have some trouble understanding some of the other discussions, so if I don't reply or something... sweatdrop ...yeah just saying. But I will try to follow!)  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:29 pm
I disagree. (I think. You were a tad vague, so I might be misinterpreting.)
I do agree, in that humanity tends to categorize things to make them easier to interpret, but Time, itself, is not the organization, I think. Which day a new year starts upon is decided by humans (arguably, though, because the creationist stories often involve a measure of time already in place), but I think that Time alone has an ebb and flow which we cannot comprehend nor measure. Nonetheless, it it present.
b  

Bellabie

carry on wayward daughter

Dapper Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:38 pm
i think time is relative
and somewhat irrelevant

but it is essential to the human way of thinking  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:42 am
tourniquetsmile
i think time is relative
and somewhat irrelevant

but it is essential to the human way of thinking

Ah, relative, yep~ but irrelevant...? *this makes me think idea * are you saying that we dont actually need to calculate time as we do?

i mean, in the world we live in, without watches, clocks or atomic clocks, we would be screwed. we depend on time to judge our lives, lifetimes and our culture is baced on time as well as you have said: "essential to the human way of thinking".

how much, how little, when, how long..? all based on time. Heh, but sometimes i wish there was nothing to measure, it would be simpler, but would definitely mess up our modern lives xd  

scintillio

Dameon the -V-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:34 pm
What I've come to believe is that time is not a caterogization of anything really but when you think about it we cant understand something which will never actually well be relivant to us, we go about our day trying to realize something that must never be tampered with. Time is a construct not of humans but of something else it is what and will allways be the real guide-lines to life because without time think of what we could do (thinking of time never on it forward course but having its...loop-holes) it would really mess us up like if I were to go back in time and tell myself if I would jump in that pool from the roof I would get hurt I probably would freak out and would shut out the memory, probably scarred, most likely paranoid the rest of my life about something I dont need to worry about so if we tamper with time we lose essentially the "sanity" of our "structured society"

wow O.o that was odd I just started typing whatever popped in my head

probably doesnt even make sense rofl

Very very stupid comment under this...highlight it if you want to belittle me...

TO CATOGARIZE IT KINDA HELPS! (hehe sorry had to be a little...wierd....)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:12 pm
Dammie-kins
What I've come to believe is that time is not a caterogization of anything really but when you think about it we cant understand something which will never actually well be relivant to us, we go about our day trying to realize something that must never be tampered with. Time is a construct not of humans but of something else it is what and will allways be the real guide-lines to life because without time think of what we could do (thinking of time never on it forward course but having its...loop-holes) it would really mess us up like if I were to go back in time and tell myself if I would jump in that pool from the roof I would get hurt I probably would freak out and would shut out the memory, probably scarred, most likely paranoid the rest of my life about something I dont need to worry about so if we tamper with time we lose essentially the "sanity" of our "structured society"

wow O.o that was odd I just started typing whatever popped in my head

probably doesnt even make sense rofl

Very very stupid comment under this...highlight it if you want to belittle me...

TO CATOGARIZE IT KINDA HELPS! (hehe sorry had to be a little...wierd....)

this is different~ (and slightly funny around the end whee )

*ahem* well, i do believe time does exist but the way we use it is not wholy what time is---if that makes sense...

like, we use time to literally 'time' things---but time can be lots of things---its also tied to infinity---

i sorta understand you---but its hard. sweatdrop (you have many run on sentences...and i don't feel like trying to read it. well, thats more my fault, but you know... sweatdrop )  

scintillio

Alchemist of the Twilight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:34 pm
((It was vague; I wanted it to be to get lots of ideas coming wink ))

But wasn't time created to categorize and help us sort through and understand when everything happened?
Of course Time passes by, but we created the hour, minute, etc.
((Sorry I'm having trouble typing out what I want to say. I'll be back when I can think of something))  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:55 pm
The concept of time is a man-made thing, but yes, things will progress, regardless of if we have given it a name or not. Just like how we think of things in terms of good, bad, or just. We think it's weird that a female black widow eats her husband and find it unfair, but it's nature, and the only reason why we find it unfair is because we've made up this weird thing called "justice."  

Fuku Taichou

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:36 pm
And yet, time is what we make of it. Time can be slower or faster based upon one's perception and mood, and in retrospect time is completely warped and fragmented. There are even moments (often in romantic situations) where time seems to stand still, and there are nostalgic moments where time seems to have flown by in seconds. And don't get me started on time as percieved in the dream realm...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:05 pm
Mobius Nightshade
And don't get me started on time as percieved in the dream realm...

I'm officially getting you started, sir.

Although the perception of time varies, I should say that it goes on without but slight variation.
b  

Bellabie

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:18 pm
Ahbut in a dream, time and physics are moot. An 8 hour sleep could occur when you go through a dream that seems like days, months, or even years! An entire lifetime can be lived in dreams! And nightmares... I had the misfortune to perform the latter twice... two nightmarish lifetimes... Equally, you cans top time, reverse it, make it go faster on whim, or have your subconscious do it for you and just go along for the ride.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Mobius Nightshade
Ahbut in a dream, time and physics are moot. An 8 hour sleep could occur when you go through a dream that seems like days, months, or even years! An entire lifetime can be lived in dreams! And nightmares... I had the misfortune to perform the latter twice... two nightmarish lifetimes... Equally, you cans top time, reverse it, make it go faster on whim, or have your subconscious do it for you and just go along for the ride.

hn,
the time in a person's mind differs from the time we actually occupy~ *but i think you already said that... sweatdrop *

your dream rant is awesome---as i have experienced that---some nights i have felt i've lived forever. gonk

But, can you truly stop time? is that just a perseption made in a person's mind? or is that really 'stopping time'?

ive had instances where i've looked at a clock---and for almost what felt like 4 or 5 minutes---seen the same, exact time....for that moment, did i stop time? was it just a glitch? or was it just in my mind?

sweatdrop geeze, you people make me think lol 3nodding  

scintillio

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:44 pm
I once stared at a clock so long it disappeared... Then it reappeared after I blinked. I do that with a lot of things.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:47 pm
Mobius Nightshade
I once stared at a clock so long it disappeared... Then it reappeared after I blinked. I do that with a lot of things.

im starting to think you've got some psychic aspects to you... xd *cues ghost howls* lol but, i think that sometimes happens to everyone--- 3nodding  

scintillio

Bellabie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:55 pm
I once had a clock that began ticking in the wrong direction for thirty seconds... It then righted itself. I am easily frightened, so I disabled it and hid it away...

I believe that dreams have such changes because our memory compresses different things in various ways and the important details (or seemingly less so) from dreams are viewed or lived for proportional amounts of "time."

Just a thought...
b  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas