Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"txt tlk" in other languages? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NanaoThrowsPetals

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:38 am
I realize that we use English on here, but I was wondering about "txt tlk" in other languages. Actually, beyond that: do other languages find chatspeak more/less acceptable? What are some annoying grammar mistakes people make in other languages? I thought it would be interesting to find out. Anyone know?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:36 pm

I read somewhere that sometimes Japanese people use numbers in place of words in text messaging (for example, "ni", the Japanese word for "two", is replaced by the number 2). Would that count?

Shigures Editor

Stormy Snuggles

3,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:54 am
Wow.... I can't even think about that being in another language. Makes my brain hurt sad  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:23 pm
Well, there are a few in spanish, like the word 'que' is often just written 'k'.  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Pure_Sango

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:26 pm
Now that I actually think about it, I've never heard "txt tlk" in another language. I know that they use such terms as 'lol' and 'omg' and all that jazz, but I've never seen chatspeak (the occasional error, yes). But I'm only counting on five-year's worth of Dutch and very limited German I know, though, so I might be wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:53 pm
Look at them squirm like worms in mud,
Blaming a ghost who's flesh and blood.
Crossing the line, tossing the dice,
Making decisions and paying the price.

I know some of the French ones, like "g la n" (j'ai la haine, hate) and slt (salut, hi). But yes, French people definitely use chatspeak. I went into a Francophone chatroom on fishing or something and couldn't understand ANYTHING they were saying, even though I'm almost fluent.

If I were really a ghost, my dear,
I'd find a better Hell than here!
-Erik, The Phantom of the Opera, Tom Alonso

Elanchana

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:37 am
Here's an entry about it on Language Log.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:53 am
It's actually a very interesting question and I've never thought about it.  

Naturally-Obsessive

Igdra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:43 am
Well, I can say that we do have it in Hungarian ^^ some of them even I don't know =D for example we shorten:
"nem tudom" (I don't know) to "nemtom"
"nem tudok" (I don't know) to "nemtok"
"miért" (why) to "mér" or "mé",
"mi ujság" (whats new) to "mizujs",
"szivesen" (you're welcome, or my pleasure) to "szivi",
"tényleg" (really) to "télleg"
"megyek" (I'm leaving) to "meek"
"vagy" (or) to "v"
"hogy" (err...therefore or something along those lines =P) to "h"
"szóval" (therefore again) to "szal"
"valószínüleg" (most likely) to "valszeg"
"körülbelül" (about) to "kb"
"tudod" (you know) to "tod"
"aranyos" (cute) to "ari"
"és a többi" (and so on) to "stb"
"mindegy" (whatever) to "mind1" (egy = one)
"szerintem" (in my opinion) to "sztem"
"köszönöm" (thank you) to "köszi"
"maximum" (maximum) to "max"
"légy szíves" (please) to "légyszi"
"vagyok" (I am) to "vok"

Anything that starts with "vala" (some?) like "valamilyen" , "valaki" (somebody), "valaha", "valamerre" (in some direction), "valahol" (somewhere) to "vmilyen", "vki", "vhol" and so on.

And there are some shortenings in school stuff too like
"dolgozat" (test) to "doga"
"témazáró" (this is a type of test that, whatever grade you get, you get two of) to "tz"
"földrajz" (geology) to "föci"
"történelem" (history) to "töri"
"matematika" (math) to "matek"
"biológia" (biology) to "bios"
"testnevelés" (physical education) to "tesi"

And we use "wtf" and "omg" and "lol" and everything as well xD

Gee...I didn't think I would write this much o.o sorry!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:01 pm
I'm sure other languages have it, because there are always abbreviations in every language. It's tough to sort out the abbreviations from the text talk. The changing of "ni" to 2 in Japanese is similar to how people change "to" to 2 in English. I've seen people abbreviate "por que" to "pq" before, I think, but again, that's more of an abbreviation.  

Fuku Taichou

faeriebread

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:09 pm
I know that in Taiwan, there's a type of "txt tlk", though this example might not really fit. As we all probably know, in Taiwan, people will speak Chinese. Now though, more and more people in Taiwan can speak english. Therfore, sometimes they will used english letters as an abbreviation for chinese words. For example, the word for weird (in pingying), qi guai, is often abbreviated to "qg". So they would say someone is weird like this: “我觉得那个人非常奇怪“ which in pingyin would be "wo jue de na ge ren fei chang qg!" which basically means "I think that person is very weird." They'll say qg in english instead of 奇怪 in chinese. I thought that was very interesting. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:08 pm
    ijustcan'tstopafterjustonetaste

I don't know about audibly, but I know that in the Philippines it's used a lot. (People there are so text/cellphone crazy.) This one time I was texting my aunt about how things were back where our houses are (I won't go into detail about the whole situation but basically a bunch of the family [including my immediate family of my mom, sisters, and myself -- my dad didn't come along -- jammed with various other branches] went on a little trip to my grandpa's house and got a flat on the way back. But seeing how it's the Philippines, getting that until control took HOURS. And there was a storm warning. Oh and where we usually stay, there are more than one house for us all xD; ) and her Tagalog-Ilocano-English "txt tlk" was pretty hilarious to read. (x

Glad I was still able to understand it though.

Most of the time they only shorten words in English, though. It's kind of hard when it's in Tagalog, especially with words that have multiple vowels together to string a different meaning. Gets confusing, hehe. Then again, it mostly gets down to the individual person.

thisaceisminetoteaseandplease

Zero J0ker

Elocutionist

Shikaeii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:49 pm
I only know three ways of typing chatspeak in Korean...

ㅋㅋㅋ (Pronounced as -KKK- or -Kikiki-... Very hard to explain) /ㅎㅎㅎ ( Pronounced as -Huhuhuh- or -Hhh-... Also very hard to pronounce using letters only...) - A sign of laughter, similar to LOL

ㅇㅇ (Pronounced eungeung) - Okay. (KK)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:00 pm
"w" is Japanese's version of our "lol". It's short for "warau", meaning laugh.  

Vakruz

Familiar Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:24 pm
Thats a terrifying thought. I cant believe it exists in other languages. I never thought about that.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff