Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I would really like... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Text-Talk?
  AAAARRGGHHH!!!
  Eeeewwww....
  It's okay, I guess
  i,lyke,luv,lyke,it!
View Results

Artificial Joy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:04 pm
When I poke about in the chatterbox (Or anywhere else, these days...) I see people using text-talk like it's some kind of REAL language. When people use 'U' instead of 'you', I just want to keep on posting this icon over and over, until they get the point...

User Image

Also, sorry if this post is in the wrong place, or if there's something wrong with it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:25 pm
You're absolutely right. "U" is NOT a word and it's annoying when people use it. It's really annoying how people actually say "btw" aloud. They're making it into "text-speak" too!  

kuro xx mae

Artificial Joy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:43 pm
Oh, no! I've heard them in the hallways at my school. They also like to say "lol" and "wtf" or "wth" Are they REALLY getting to be that lazy?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:46 pm
Actually, aren't all letters of the alphabet considered words? "U" can be used as a word as in "U-bend" and stuff like that.

I just don't like it when people use it instead of "you." mad

Fuku Taichou

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:50 pm
Yeah, that's true, but only as a part of other words. Well... I don't know..  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:57 pm
That drives me insane too when people do it forums. Instant messenger I can understand but not here.  

Stormy Snuggles

3,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Team Edward 100

Chocolatepanacea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:07 am
The other day my friend said, "I less than three" instead of "I love" or "I heart" this person.

It made me cry on the inside. crying  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:45 pm
Chocolatepanacea
The other day my friend said, "I less than three" instead of "I love" or "I heart" this person.

It made me cry on the inside. crying

Is that what that means?

...That's... really... bad. sad  

Kira84

Aelanaar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:00 pm
I cannot stand txt tlk, it was developed for texting over the phone when it took forever just to get out one word on the screen. However, when you are sitting at the computer and can fully type out the word but choose not to its just lazy.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:01 pm
I don't have an issue with text talk. I think there is and there isn't a right time to use it.

If you're apart of a MMORPG, maybe one with a large community, and are posting in a Suggestion or Wishlist forum, your idea should be well typed, without any text-talk.

If you're RPing, Text-talk can take a big effect. To show someone has bad grammar, text-talk is a perfect way to show this. sweatdrop  

Wylde Style

noonnonon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 am
Text-talk should stay on the internet, where it belongs.

=/  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:37 pm
I disagree text-talk should be kept strictly to phone texting, which it was invented for.

The worst I've heard out loud is "lolzor". Apart from the fact it is the one "word" I cannot stand on any platform of communication my ex says it out loud. In conversation. When he could be using a proper word, or actually be laughing.

I've also heard "lol", "cbf" and "gtfo" used in coversation, but Chocolatepanacea your friend takes the cake. That is tragic.

little_evil_goth

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 am
The only thing worse than that is when I see it in essays. Drives me nuts, especially since they have had time to edit it before they came in to see me.

Ah well. I will correct the world, one essay at a time. 3nodding  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces