Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)
Books (read an interesting book - tell us about it!) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HiddenBeliefs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:05 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Have you been reading something interesting lately? Let us know!!!

Books in this list should be primarily fiction (any topic) or "off-topic" non-fiction. For non-fiction books on Wicca, Witchcraft, etc...please check out the Guild Reading List in the Library.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:07 pm
Deadly Nyhtshade wrote:

Quote:
Twilight&&New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

In my opinion, both books are extremely well written books.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
TwilightUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

From Publisher's Weekly's starred review: "The main draw here is Bella's infatuation with outsider Edward, the sense of danger inherent in their love, and Edward's inner struggle—a perfect metaphor for the sexual tension that accompanies adolescence. These will be familiar to nearly every teen, and will keep readers madly flipping the pages of Meyer's tantalizing debut."

From Becky Anderson, of Anderson's Bookshops: "What a totally amazing debut! Twilight is that rare story that combines suspense, desire, love and friendship with an awesome twist on the vampire genre! Both young adults and adults will be "sucked" into Edward's and Bella's world and beg for more, especially after they turn the last page. I can't wait for the next book!"

From Karen Rosenthal, Children's Department Manager for R.J. Julia Booksellers (printed in Publisher's Weekly's "Galley Talk"): "I'm not usually a vampire book reader, but I haven't read a book in a long time that had as much sexual tension and creepy terror throughout as Twilight by Stephenie Meyer [Little, Brown]. The main character is extremely compelling. The protagonist is so consumed with her crush on him that she blocks everything else, and the fact that he's a vampire adds a whole other level. It really is the perfect crossover book. It will appeal to kids who read fantasy and darker books, but also kids who like more realistic fiction like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and all those kids who read Gossip Girl... It's a riveting action book but thoughtful as well. Sometimes teen books can be plot-driven and the quality of the writing goes out the window, but this one has both.
From Teens

"Twilight is one of the most moving books I have read in a long time. It kept me thinking about it long after I read the last page. Its heartbreaking romance and suspenseful twists made it hard for me to put the book down. Twilight allows the reader to experience a whole new outlook on vampires and how they interact around mankind. After reading this book I recommend it to anyone who would enjoy reading about an incredibly suspenseful romance."

Katie, age 16

"Stephenie Meyer's first novel Twilight is a gripping journey through the united worlds of fantasy and high school. As soon as I started reading Twilight, I couldn't stop. The plot is the thing that led me to the book in the start. Boy meets girl, girl likes boy, boy turns out to be a vampire. The characters are so vivid, so intense, that you feel like if you look up from the pages Isabella or Edward or Alice is going to be staring at you. This suspenseful novel leaves me with one question... Is there going to be a second?"

Kelly, 15

"Twilight caught my interest so much, I couldn't stand to put it down once I started. I read this book in one sitting and didn't finish until 5:00 AM, but it was worth every minute. It's the love story between a vampire and a human, and the love feels so real, it's hard to imagine it's just a book. The main character, Bella Swan, is instantly likeable, and it's impossible not to empathize with the new couple as their relationship starts to bud. The vampire, Edward Cullen, is captivating with his extraordinary beauty, ancient genteelness, and ability to read minds. But just when the tension eases and it seems like things are going to work out for them (and that's a hard thing to come by, considering their separate diets), disaster strikes. The book was so much more than I expected; the love feels so real, and at its heart, it's more a love story between two beings than anything else. Of course, because one of them is a vampire, there's a bit of hunting and quite a lot of action as well. This was a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable book—I recommend it completely."

Chenzi, 16

Cant find any reviews on New Moon...yet

POST YOUR OPINIONS

information used atStephenie Meyer.com

HiddenBeliefs

HiddenBeliefs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:08 pm
Rainbowboy wrote

Quote:
Earth Power By Scott Cunningham....i thinks that his last name lol... its really good. and it helps on many different things from to simple spells to divivination....

Sorry for the miss spellings....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 pm
Angel Bruja wrote

Quote:
M.R. Sellers is the author of a mystery series featuring Rowan Gant, who is a Wiccan that is a police consultant for 'strange' cases. The books are real page-turners and a little spooky, but that is what makes them interesting to read. There are seven books out right now, with the eight to, supposedly, some out in October. I just wanted to let other's know, or see if anyone else has read this author. I'll try to find the names of the books in the order they are supposed to be. Of course, if you read the series backwards like I did, it's fine. They always refer back to the previous books, so you get an idea of what happened.

HiddenBeliefs

HiddenBeliefs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Isabeau the Foundling, discovered as a babe in the roots of a tree, is raised by an old wood witch in the shadow of Dragonclaw, mountain of the dragons. From Meghan of the Beasts, Isabeau learns herb-lore and the languages of animals, but dreams of the old days, when witches were the greatest power in the land. Before she was born, an evil sorceress cast a spell on the Rìgh, winning his love and turning him against the Coven. The great Witch Towers are now all abandoned ruins, magical creatures are hunted down and the Coven’s ancient wisdom is lost.

Only the Cripple, enigmatic leader of the rebels, fights to undermine the Banrìgh’s power as her dark plans slowly come to fruition. Little does Isabeau know that she is to play a key role in the battle against the Ensorcellor, for she has a strange and mysterious destiny.

As Isabeau is initiated into the Coven on her sixteenth birthday, soldiers sent to hunt down dragons stumble across the clandestine ceremony, and her peaceful life is torn apart by blood and fire. Alone she must set out on a perilous quest that will bring her face to face with her own destiny. For Meghan must go and confront the dragons and, afraid she will never return, entrusts the sacred Key of the Coven to Isabeau, who must carry it to safety. Without the Key, the witches can never release the Lodestar, an sphere of great power that was locked away on the Day of Betrayal.

Meanwhile, the sea-dwelling Fairgean stir, children vanish in the night, and the dragons - the most ancient and dangerous wisdom in the land - rise against the Ensorcellor.

~*~

Meghan looked directly into the dragon's topaz eyes for the first time... She had a sensation of time rolling away, vast vistas of years, the swing of planets and stars. Sunsets bloomed above her head, clouds raced away, the world spun on its axis and the dragon's eyes glittered cold...

A tale of dark mysteries, dire enchantments and dangerous quests, Dragonclaw is the first in a gripping fantasy series, The Witches of Eileanan. Published in the US under its series title, the witches of eileanan.

~*~

This is a great series and the undercurrents of wicca/witchcraft is great, and the story is amazing, I'm currently on the third one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:13 pm

synopsis:
Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome -- and Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's exactly the kind of guy she's been waiting for all her life.

But Bill has a disability of his own: he's a vampire with a bad reputation. He hangs out with a seriously creepy crowd, all suspected of -- big surprise -- murder. And when one of Sookie's co-workers is killed, she fears she's next.

~*~

this is another great series I've read all the 7 thats out so far.. its an easy read, hilarious and full of drama and action, but most likely on suited for mature ages as the content.

HiddenBeliefs

HiddenBeliefs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:15 pm

A delightful new comedy about witches, vampires, and the search for the perfect man.
Recovering witch Garnet Lacey manages Wisconsin's premier occult bookstore. And a fringe benefit of the job is getting customers like Sebastian Von Traum-piercing brown eyes, a sexy accent, and a killer body. The only thing missing is an aura. Which means he's dead. And that means trouble.

So what's a girl to do if she's hot for a dead man walking? Run like hell-and take full advantage of the nights

~*~

This book is a great start to what seems like is going to be a great series, of nonstop laughs and adventure. and not to mention trouble. but most likely on suited for mature ages as the content.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:55 pm
heyy I got a great spell book for beginers the teen spell book by jamie wood it is very informative expaining all the symbols belifs and easy spells

Got you again

Blood_Thorn07

Hilarious Gekko

5,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:42 pm
User Image
Eclipse By Stephanie Meyer.
It was very good and also the 3rd book in the Twilight series
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Eclipse is the third novel in Stephenie Meyer’s popular Twilight series. You really want to have read Twilight and New Moon (in that order) first before reading Eclipse, because the author doesn’t spend too much time expounding the story-lines of the previous novels but rather drops the reader straight in to the story. You also want to read Twilight and New Moon because they are both excellent novels and, trust me, you are missing out if you haven’t read them.

Eclipse carries on not long after New Moon left off. Bella’s high school graduation is approaching and she will soon be leaving Forks forever, ostensibly to go to college - but in reality she is planning to join her boyfriend in his vampire existence and will therefore be unable to return home, due to being dead and possessed by a terrible blood lust for the first few years. Not that the reader is actually taken that far in this story, we make it through graduation but then the dangerous vampires from Seattle come to Forks and dealing with them dominates the rest of the novel.

This is only one part of the story though. Eclipse is primarily a romantic saga, so Bella and Edward’s relationship is the primary focus of the novel. Or as I should say Bella, Edward and Jacob’s relationship - because there is a love triangle in the plot of this novel.

Bella and Jacob have always been friends, at least they were - right up until Jacob became a werewolf. Then the enmity between vampires and werewolves put a huge strain on their friendship. Besides which, Jacob is in love with Bella, who is in love with Edward so this is going to make things awkward between them.

At this point, Eclipse descends into soap opera territory – Bella has found her soul mate in Edward but Jacob is the soul mate she should have / could have / would have had if Edward didn’t exist. She loves him too but not as much as Edward. Why she loves Jacob is beyond me – he knows that she loves Edward but Jacob still tries to make her feel guilty that she can’t love him like he wants her too. Blatant emotional blackmail is unattractive whatever way you serve it up and it detracted from his otherwise fine character. Worse, it lead to a large proportion of this book being devoted to teenage angst and with this book being 628 pages long that a substantial amount of angst!

To be fair, Eclipse is written for the young adult market so I really shouldn’t complain about the teen angst and the drama but for me it meant that this book lacked the magical quality that made Twilight stand out from the crowd of vampire romances available in bookstores today. Don’t misunderstand me - Eclipse is still a really good read. The book didn’t feel like it was over 600 pages long, I literally flew through the pages and had to make a conscious effort to slow down my reading so I didn’t finish the whole book in a couple of sittings.

For teens already hooked on the series, Eclipse is another solid instalment of Forks goodness. Adult readers may be put off by the teenage relationship angst in this novel but if you have already enjoyed the author’s previous offerings I think there is still plenty here to entertain.

It will be intriguing to see where Stephenie Meyer takes the ideas and characters in this series next. Writing for the Young Adult market always means that there is some expectation for the author to set a good example for impressionable young minds and criticisms that Bella’s character is too dependent and needs set a better example for young women seem unfair. This is romantic fantasy – enjoy it!

This book is rated at four and a half stars (but I haven’t got a graphic to show that.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I totally recommend it if you've read the other 2.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:25 pm
As far as fiction books go I would have to say that Anne McCaffrey is by far my favorite.
I like ALL her books about "Pern". But for those who think they may find her work interesting enough to pick up, I'll list the books in Chronological order rather than the order the were published in.

heart Story “Survey P.E.R.N.” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall
heart Dragonsdawn
heart Story “The Dolphin’s Bell” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall
heart Story “The Ford Of red Hanrahan” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall
heart Story “The Second Weyr” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall
heart Story “Rescue Run” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall
heart Dragon’s Kin (with Todd McCaffrey)
heart Dragon’s Fire (with Todd McCaffrey)
heart Dragonsblood (by Todd McCaffrey)
heart Dragonseye/Red Star Rising
heart Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
heart Story: “Beyond Between” in: Legends II (anthology edited by Robert Silverberg)
heart Nerika’s Story
heart The Masterharper of Pern
heart Story: “Runner Of Pern” in: Legends (anthology edited by Robert Silverberg)
heart Dragonflight
heart Dragonquest
heart Dragonsong
heart Dragonsinger
heart Dragondrums
heart Story: “The Impression” in: The Dragonlover’s Guide To Pern
heart Story: “The Smallest Dragonboy” in: Get Off The Unicorn
heart The White Dragon
heart The Renegades of Pern
(actually covers the whole period from The Masterharper Of Pern to All The Weyrs Of Pern)
heart Story: “The Girl Who Heard Dragons” in: The Girl Who Heard Dragons
heart All The Weyrs Of Pern (overlap with next book)
heart The Dolphins of Pern (overlap with previous book)
heart The Skies of Pern

I own all of these, but I got the order from Anne McCaffery's site.
In case you didn't notice... there were far too many books for me to put pics up too.

The Giver
by Lois Lowry

Deception Point
Digital Fortress
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code
by Dan Brown

I'm not done rooting around my books quite yet... I'll be back to post more when I get all my books sorted out.

In the meantime I hope someone picks some of these books up. They are all awesome in my opinion!  

Ijivirus

Sparkly Hunter

5,800 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Cariaith

2,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:13 am
Hmm here are some of my favorites razz dunno if i translate them properly, so you might have to look up by the authors name

A true story about how a woman experienced her drug addict
Christiane.F : Wir kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (freely translated: We children from Metrostation Zoo)

A story about a Chinese girl, who goes trough allot, in the old chinese things, like having to have small feet and the painful way of getting there ans such

Lisa Lee; Snow flower en de geheime waaier (Snow Flower and the secret fan)

Its about a girl who has borderline, and a relationship, and all the trouble that comes along with it.

Ronald Giphart : Ik ook van jouw (freely translated: I love you too)

half-fictive stories about wicca;

The Wicca series from cate tiernan.

And last but not least, the stories of Avelon

Unknown author(forgot); nevelen van avelon(Mists of Avelon)  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:43 pm
I have so many books I've read that I love that I'm not going to even try to name them all... I'm a huge bookworm and treat my books like family (people think I'm a freak when I freak out that they bend the spines and stuff)... But my fav books are by Tamora Pierce and Cate Tiernan... I'm a fantasy book fanatic and read anything I can get my hands on  

violeteyes77

*~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games