Reply Avatar Talk
The AT just plain sucks a**... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jibo Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:03 pm
It's true and you all know it, the AT is just a shell of it's noble elite past. The tektekers and avatar arena have made our forum from a fashion empire to that dirty part of town where they put all the adult book stores and TJ Maxx.

Well it's time for a good ole' fashion revolution, VIVA LA AT! We need to start a plan to slowly take back AT, to make it a place to hang out in many threads, not just one or two, hiding among the majority of tekteks and rate backs.

So let's start our ideas here on ways we can all chip into make AT great again.

-Staring our own rating threads that we recycle instead of just making new ones each day.
-Boycott the rate-back system, this only leads to dishonest rates and I feel the old AT worked better when a majority of the threads were one way or the other.
-Boycott Tektek threads for people who are simply too lazy to design something themselves. If it's an avatar contest that allows tekteks, that fine, at least someone is getting a prize, but these open ended "I'll give away 5K if I like it" crap needs to end.
-Start rating honestly and giving low number if they are deserved. I actually seen people in the AT say "I'm one of those rater that never gives below a 7." WTF!?!?!

Keep the ideas and debates coming. We need action people!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:25 am
If I have to give below a 7 I just plain don't rate it. That is, I'll give item suggestions if I think of any but no numbers. As for tektek threads talk2hand that's how I feel about those.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Aiko Afriel

Codebreaking Survivor

Senile Poison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:57 am
I think we just need a 5::1 Oldbie to Newbie ratio...

We also need more honest people...

And people with new ideas...

The boycotts are a good idea as well... But I think most of us do so anyway... More or less.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:05 pm

Each Oldbie Needs To Make A Ratings Thread And Has To Keep It Bumped As Frequently As Possible To Get Rid Of All The Trash On The Front Page. 3nodding

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Jibo Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:46 pm
I always want a solid rating thread, but i suck with all the little catchy graphics stuff. But I am planning one out, I think that would help since newer people would visit the threads of respected ATers and would get more honest feedback and information to shape them into the next gen ATers. I think that's where the system broke down, with alot of old timers coming and going, we lost that part of us that wanted to shape people.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:11 pm
candycrack

Each Oldbie Needs To Make A Ratings Thread And Has To Keep It Bumped As Frequently As Possible To Get Rid Of All The Trash On The Front Page. 3nodding

You know, that's a pretty good idea xd
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Aiko Afriel

Codebreaking Survivor

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:57 pm

They don't even have to be a rating threads per say. We just need all oldbies to bumb oldbie threads as often as possible. Whether they are rating threads, contest, events, informative threads or whatever. They need to be bumped to over through the clutter of tek-tek's, GD Trolls & One Times.

Let the new generation actually interested in AT see what it truly is all about, or what it once was all about.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:14 am
CC, you need to finish your How do I rate that thread. gonk  

Bro Lunchbox

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:43 am

The 3 sections remaining are being written by others... Who keep saying they will but forgetting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:23 am
What sections?  

Bro Lunchbox

Saffrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:51 pm
Elitists!

Iunno. You people keep saying you need to do stuff with the "Oldbies", but what about the Newbies who want to participate in something that's not a Tektek-like thread?

Sadly a lot of ATers move in their own circles, and when people leave, the circles just get smaller.
You need a way to happily welcome and include any Newbies that are willing to join in the way that you want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:26 pm
Saffrin
Elitists!

Iunno. You people keep saying you need to do stuff with the "Oldbies", but what about the Newbies who want to participate in something that's not a Tektek-like thread?

Sadly a lot of ATers move in their own circles, and when people leave, the circles just get smaller.
You need a way to happily welcome and include any Newbies that are willing to join in the way that you want.

I second that. <3  

Qwannah

Jibo Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:52 pm
Saffrin
Elitists!

I think newer people often see the term oldbie or elite as a way of them being excluded from the AT, when it's just a term of saying someone who has made the AT their home for a long time.

Of course we want to welcome new people in, what fun would it be without the passing of knowledge. Candycrack use to run an adopt-a-newbie program which we all loved.

I think when people say they want the AT the old way, it's not that we don't want new ATers, we just want a more community/family feel like it use to have. Before tek-tek and the avatar arena, newbies use to be a little more open to the idea of someone helping them and rating them (I'm not going to say all of them because there have always been n00bs), now that "ratings" take place in the arena (on what scale those people are operating on sometimes hurts my head) and that tektek allows them to have any item they want, there is a sense that ATers opinions don't matter even though they are being requested.

I think the tektek dumbed down alot of new people coming to the AT, because they can create whatever with all the items and not learn that feeling of having to slowly work towards an avatar. I personally would like to see more Avatars that feel like their owners put more thought into them then 5 minutes.

There are alot of cool new ATers I have gotten to hang with since I returned that remind me of Old School AT in style and personality, the shame is it's hard to sort through the mountain of crap threads to find them.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:07 am
I want the AT Adopt a Newb back. :[
(I'd run it...if that would be alright with everyone.)
It was a good place to bring up little ATers with solid understandings of the forum.
And with this chunk of oldbies wanting to be involved in renewing AT, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

alhandra patchoulii

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:37 pm

I gave it to Joey... She killed it. xd
I would gladly help with it but I don't have the time to run it like I used to. I'm sure that would be fine with Joey, since she is also limited on time. I'm sure she would love to help out as well.

Also P.E summed it up the best.
It is not that we do not want new AT'ers it's that we want educated AT'ers again. People who know how to rate, and are not dumbed down by the tek-tek phase.

The reason we all refer to oldbies is because we have infact been around the longest, and no one I know who has been around along time would I call elitist. We simply suggest the oldbie making the numerous threads, so that new people can come in and learn things a bit better, have knowledge of better rates, and see just how nice older members can be. In short, having oldbie threads would help expand the knowledge of better AT ethics. Also, no not all new members are morons, but sadly a good majority are. :/

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games