Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is Sneaked A Word? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vintage Transformer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:00 pm
Greetings, I have just recently had a fight with my friend Jessica about whether or not sneaked is a word. I, for one, disagree completely; she insists that it is a word for it is in the dictionary. So I ask you, is sneaked a word?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:38 pm
I've seen it as one.

Quote:
She sneaked into the castle

But let's check the dictionary...yes, it's indeed a word.

From Dictionary.com:
Quote:

–verb (used without object)
1. to go in a stealthy or furtive manner; slink; skulk.
2. to act in a furtive or underhand way.
3. British Informal. to tattle; inform.

Patron with a Mission

Vintage Transformer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:47 pm
Huh, I guess I wasn't thinking. Thanks though; Your a big help!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:28 am
Hmm...I always thought it should be "She snuck into the castle." Yet spell-check is telling me that it's wrong. I don't know now!  

Amaya84

Woodnut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:43 pm
It's "snuck" that isn't a word, actually. 3nodding However, Dictionary.com disagrees with me, as you can see in this Usage Note:
Dictionary.com
First recorded in writing toward the end of the 19th century in the United States, snuck has become in recent decades a standard variant past tense and past participle of the verb sneak: Bored by the lecture, he snuck out the side door. Snuck occurs frequently in fiction and in journalistic writing as well as on radio and television: In the darkness the sloop had snuck around the headland, out of firing range. It is not so common in highly formal or belletristic writing, where sneaked is more likely to occur. Snuck is the only spoken past tense and past participle for many younger and middle-aged persons of all educational levels in the U. S. and Canada. Snuck has occasionally been considered nonstandard, but it is so widely used by professional writers and educated speakers that it can no longer be so regarded.

That last part (in bold) really pisses me off. So what if a lot of people (including those who are obviously so "educated") have been saying something for years? That doesn't make it correct! I could go off on a whole rant on the bastardization of the language, but I'm literally falling asleep at the computer here, so I won't. But as far as I'm concerned, "snuck" is still incorrect.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:00 pm
Interesting. I never knew that. Thank you!  

Amaya84

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:34 pm
Well I know that American English deviates from England's English (just to be contrary) so I'm guessing the whole debate begins back there. I go either way on the word personally.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:53 pm
Well, I'm an England's english speaker, and my dictionaries don't have snuck in them at all, so that's the english view... emo  

Phantom-Of-Fandom

applecyder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:40 am
I've always thought it was 'snuck.' Now I know better. Thank you!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:29 pm
User ImageWow, I had always used "snuck" as well. Snuck doesn't appear as wrong in my spellcheck, however. I think that snuck sounds a lot better, and so I will continue to use it.
The whole sneaked business is quite interesting, though.

tetrasmaster

Lily-Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:24 am
Sneak

Sneaked

Snuck. (huh. Firefox spell check picked it up)

But anyway, it's another form of Sneak, even if it is improper English.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:08 am
It's a form of past perfect, isn't it? >w< Rather than participle, "She sneaked into the castle" it would be, "She had sneaked into the castle." If you were to use it completely correctly x3  

[FlyingPigKnockout]

QuixoticNeurotic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:47 pm
[FlyingPigKnockout]
It's a form of past perfect, isn't it? >w< Rather than participle, "She sneaked into the castle" it would be, "She had sneaked into the castle." If you were to use it completely correctly x3

"She had sneaked into the castle" is the way I've always used it.

Funny enough, this had me consult the members of a chat I was in and the Brits (two of them only, but still) said snuck. As did everyone but me. >.>

Though one of the Brits also mentioned "had sneaked" for which I was pleased.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:42 am
I have always thought than "snuck" was the proper word. Thanks you to the gaians who have pointed it out.  

nessa7

s3kShUn8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:59 am
Woodnut
It's "snuck" that isn't a word, actually. 3nodding However, Dictionary.com disagrees with me, as you can see in this Usage Note:
Dictionary.com
First recorded in writing toward the end of the 19th century in the United States, snuck has become in recent decades a standard variant past tense and past participle of the verb sneak: Bored by the lecture, he snuck out the side door. Snuck occurs frequently in fiction and in journalistic writing as well as on radio and television: In the darkness the sloop had snuck around the headland, out of firing range. It is not so common in highly formal or belletristic writing, where sneaked is more likely to occur. Snuck is the only spoken past tense and past participle for many younger and middle-aged persons of all educational levels in the U. S. and Canada. Snuck has occasionally been considered nonstandard, but it is so widely used by professional writers and educated speakers that it can no longer be so regarded.

That last part (in bold) really pisses me off. So what if a lot of people (including those who are obviously so "educated") have been saying something for years? That doesn't make it correct! I could go off on a whole rant on the bastardization of the language, but I'm literally falling asleep at the computer here, so I won't. But as far as I'm concerned, "snuck" is still incorrect.

Isn't that how most English-American words work today? Swear words were almost impossible to say because they were so repulsive but now you hear such words in everyday life. Just because everyone uses it doesn't mean it's good. Rap is a great example of how words are screwed over, if you hear some rapper say, "Ballin" everyone starts to use it and it then becomes a word. If you are bored, read a couple words on the UrbanDictionary.com. That should get you pumped. mrgreen  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff