Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Did you notice this? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NanaoThrowsPetals

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:48 am
Mireille _san is caught unawares by NanaoThrowsPetals! Unfortunately, NanaoThrowsPetals's ridiculous attack only made Mireille _san look at their watch.

SPOT THE ERROR IN THE DEFAULT ATTACK COMMENT!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:41 pm
Shouldn't it be "his" or "her" watch?

Another point is, when you get your grab bag from a NPC in the shops, it says "effots" instead of "efforts".

Seriously.  

Zealot of Insanity

applecyder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:44 am
'Applecyder screams at the top of his lungs....'

I'm a girl.
It's a default comment anyway. One can't expect much from it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:52 am
Still, the incongruencies are unacceptable! Some said "his," others "her," and then "their," which is completely uncalled for! Grump!  

NanaoThrowsPetals

Pup in Fluff

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:22 am
I'm actually noticing that they used the word, "unawares." In no way does "unaware" need to be plural. (Nor do I think it can be plural and make sense.)

Using "their" instead of "him" or "her" actually makes sense to me as it is easier than making separate automated attacks for males and females. Plus, there are guys with female avatars and vice versa. "Their" covers either or.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 pm
Quote:
FeelinShiny walks wearily down the street, him brim pulled way down low...

This is the one that got my attention... whee  

FeelinShiny

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Professor Armitage

Lupine Gearhead

11,450 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:00 am
The amount of grammatical errors and other obvious signs of impersonal response (such as the universal use of he or is, rather than applying to the specific gender) shows how little effort went into the battle system.

You'd think they'd have made a point to consider their user's respective genders, or at least to have used a definitively generic speech pattern to divorce any and all gender attachments when they did the auto-posts.

Not to mention, you'd think with the amount of money that goes into GaiaOnline.com, they'd hire a decent proof reader.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:15 am
I saw the "their" error, but it's actually quite a common thing. ...I admit I've done it a few times when I'm talking to friends because it's annoying to keep using "his or hers" whenever you're communicated. -_-  

Fuku Taichou

Woodnut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:51 pm
Pup in Fluff
I'm actually noticing that they used the word, "unawares." In no way does "unaware" need to be plural. (Nor do I think it can be plural and make sense.)

Actually, "unawares" is appropriate. According to Answers.com, unaware is an adjective, whereas unawares is an adverb.
Answers.com
Unaware, followed by a prepositional phrase with of (expressed or implied), is the usual adjectival form modifying a noun or pronoun or following a linking verb: Unaware of the difficulty, I went ahead. She plunged into a dangerous situation wholly unaware. He was unaware of my presence. Unawares is the usual adverbial form: The rain caught them unawares (without warning). They came upon it unawares (without design or plan).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:43 pm
NanaoThrowsPetals
Mireille _san is caught unawares by NanaoThrowsPetals! Unfortunately, NanaoThrowsPetals's ridiculous attack only made Mireille _san look at their watch.

SPOT THE ERROR IN THE DEFAULT ATTACK COMMENT!!!
User Image

"NanaoThrowsPetals's? There shouldn't be an "s" after the apostrophe.

User Image

-x x kyoxtohru x x-

Shikaeii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:52 am
Look at 'their' watch...
Mireille _san has a Siamese Twin!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:12 pm
FandomSpike
Look at 'their' watch...
Mireille _san has a Siamese Twin!
User Image

Oh my gosh. :0

User Image

-x x kyoxtohru x x-

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:23 am
There are a lot of spelling errors on the site. I noticed the "effots" immediately, and most apostrophe errors catch my eye. I don't blame them for using "their" if they were strapped for time, but they need to check these things before they release them.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:22 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Flying high above the clouds...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. -Agreed.

Honestly, one would think this site was made by people who's second language is English. I used to think it was..- User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...Since 1988User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Requiem 0f Eternity

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces