Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Archives
POLL - Randomization Override ((read to understand)) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:50 pm
Ok, as I was rolling the matchups, I realized something:

Some teams may end up fighting one another over and over, same with their players. While the chance is very small, it's still there.

Do you guys think we should leave this completely random, or make it so if 2 teams that have already fought get paired up, we cancel the match up and reroll?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:30 am
Same two teams should be able to battle..but reroll until you get as many different matchups of players from the previous as possible.  

SerraBloodsong

Alex the Fuzzy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:50 am
the same team should be able to fight twice in a row. but if it happens 3 times then you should rerole  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:41 am
I'd say leaving it as is is fine.  

Dwlr

950 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Zombie7775

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:08 am
TheBasementDweller
I'd say leaving it as is is fine.

same.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:12 am
I'd say leave it alone, but make sure each team gets to battle each other at least once.  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

Hollysmokes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:34 pm
Ooo I was under the assumption this was a ladder tournament  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:42 pm
i don't particulalrly like how you randomly decide who fights who (not team to team, I mean player to player) This is kind of unfair, since it will basically make the winner of this tournament based on luck, since you could potentially have the weakest link on your team paired with the best on theirs, etc. I mean think about it, lets say you go captain to captain, 2nd to 2nd, etc. Thats fair, since the players will be more on their own level. lets say you randomize it. captian could fight the 5th, 2nd could fight the 4th, etc. making it difficult for your team to win with out making all of your battlers exactly the same in strength, which is difficult to do. You may disagree with me, but thts how I see it.  

Deathguiser

Dwlr

950 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:00 pm
Deathguiser
i don't particulalrly like how you randomly decide who fights who (not team to team, I mean player to player) This is kind of unfair, since it will basically make the winner of this tournament based on luck, since you could potentially have the weakest link on your team paired with the best on theirs, etc. I mean think about it, lets say you go captain to captain, 2nd to 2nd, etc. Thats fair, since the players will be more on their own level. lets say you randomize it. captian could fight the 5th, 2nd could fight the 4th, etc. making it difficult for your team to win with out making all of your battlers exactly the same in strength, which is difficult to do. You may disagree with me, but thts how I see it.
With that the deciding match is the 3rd in commands if it works exactly like your example.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:55 pm
TheBasementDweller
Deathguiser
With that the deciding match is the 3rd in commands if it works exactly like your example.

of course not, because as you proabably have notcied with the difficulty of reaching some team members, the matches will happen out of order. And in either case, all matches must be finished anyway, so those player can add to their scores to possibly win awards listed in one of the PM's sent to all team captains.  

Deathguiser

powuh_of_PIE3142

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:23 pm
You forget though, a lot of captains aren't as good as the people on their teams. Some people just brought a team together because they had the initiative to do so. Look at darkslasher, he freely admits people on his team are better than him. (or is that bdweller? I might be confusing you two up, correct me if I'm wrong or if it's someone completely different)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:51 pm
powuh_of_PIE3142
You forget though, a lot of captains aren't as good as the people on their teams. Some people just brought a team together because they had the initiative to do so. Look at darkslasher, he freely admits people on his team are better than him. (or is that bdweller? I might be confusing you two up, correct me if I'm wrong or if it's someone completely different)

You're thinking of Nokboolaki.

Besides that, I think that each team needs to fight every other team at least once.  

darkslasherX
Crew

Mesa the Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:14 pm
I think the best example of the captain not being as good as the other members may be the Provo team as it was constructed randomly. I battled their captain and i HIGHLY doubt he was the best on their team considering he was so easy to beat and Wilhemina actually lost her match meaning that "Make me your sex toy" was indeed a skilled opponent.

I think there should be some other factor deciding which teams fight which teams though.

I have an idea regarding that, but I need to know how many teams there are participating. I beleive it is 8 but I may be mistaken.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:18 pm
Yes it is 8.  

nitnit
Captain

Mesa the Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:27 pm
Ok simply take your teams from this round and split them into 2 groups.

we have 3 teams that won, 3 that lost and 2 that tied(which counts as a loss i know)

so first take your 5 losing teams and match those up. take your leftover team and throw it in with the winners then separately match them up.

This will not only ensure that each team is fighting a different team then before(with the exception maybe of the 2 that tied) but it will also attempt to close the skill gap between teams by putting them up against other teams with equal or similar records.

Things become a bit more complicated however as more rounds go on, however it's not to hard to match up, but the match up procedure will be different every round depending on who wins, who loses, and if any more ties occur(ties really screw things up).  
Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff