Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Extended Discussion
HOW HUMANE IS HUMANITY? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bellabie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:04 pm
Feel free to tear this apart.
I wrote it, but it could do with better organization, explanation, etcetera.
b

Through centuries of war and peace, poverty and aristocracy, and brutality as well as kindness, many have been led down similar paths into questioning the capability of humans to care. Could it possibly be that cruel killers are no worse than those who donate to charities? Our culture applauds the generous, but are these acts ones of selflessness or selfishness? Now, it is evident that we must reexamine, "How humane is humanity?"

What motivates humans to commit acts of good and evil? One mindset argues that the core and instinctual justification for both said actions is power. Could this really be? "Saints and psychopaths" aside, I continue to disagree that the main force behind human action is to gain power over others. People care for their families without the necessity for control. The "king model," as I've dubbed it, in which a man might kill his brother for the crown, cannot apply to all or most people. What drives this hunger for power in the king model is an uncommon selfishness. This is one of the few points where the idea of action in equality to greed applies. Politicians must campaign for support, some through friendship, others fear, but we are not all politicians.

In my knowledge and experience, I have witnessed and read about many extraordinary acts of selflessness. Just because an armed robbery makes the headlines of local news does not mean that a town is necessarily plighted by unrest. Our media tries to recognize the issues, but, often, censors human success. The fact of the matter is this: What people should be doing doesn't sell as well as what they shouldn't. Modern society is infatuated with its own faults and, as a result, our more exemplary points are muted.

People cannot possibly hate one another automatically. Humans have such a deep power for interpreting situations that we've come to understand one another better than with any other species. Perhaps, some may say, that it is a weakness to only be able to recognize and relate to the experiences of those so similar to ourselves, but I believe that this is a great accomplishment. We've been taught to understand one another. The mere fact that people can be triggered into crying during a movie seems to prove this deeply embodied power.

People care. It is evident in the acts of individuals like Mother Teresa and countless unmentioned others. They cannot possibly all be anomalies. Whether we like it our not, humans will treat each other as (near) equals until there is something that convinces them otherwise. Slavery in America is a very clear example of this. So long as people were taught to believe that those of African descent were animals, then there was little friction, but as it became evident and supported that this was not so, change was made.

As much as I would condone and encourage activist groups that protect the rights of animals and the environment, the rights of humans ought to come first. One program that I believe should be put into place is the equivalent to an animal rights group, something I call PETH, or People for the Ethical Treatment of Humans. Some may argue that this is not necessary and say that people already have the capability and conscience that this would provide. Others state that people cannot be inspired at all to do better for others unless they were to be benefited directly by this kindness. They might even claim that my efforts would be hypocritical because I would do them only for the purpose of gaining power. I disagree.

It is only fair that one should practice kindness to others. Nearly every religion or guiding set of rules tells followers to treat others as they wish to be treated. This is no coincidence. Looking beyond the immediate benefit, even in a scientific sense, all is for the general advancement of a species, a group, a family. Take care of your family.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:20 pm
I came to steal your heart away...
Bella if you dont mind I'm going to quote you and bring this up in the "GAIA extended discussion"
...I walked away with a Soul Mate

Dameon the -V-

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:05 pm
Good luck with that one, Dammie. 98.8% of the Gaia populace couldn't make a sensible, intelligent argument to save their lives. Be prepared for idiot responses mostly involving religion.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:32 pm
*looks at Bellabie's post* *snif* That... is... *snif* BEAUTIFUL!!! crying  

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Bellabie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:41 pm
Mobius, you flatter me, but I think you've not read into it fully.
I neglected to support my claims. It is dreadfully self centered (I think this and I think that). It is disorganized. As I wrote, I lost my own opinion and began to lean towards the other side...

Dammie-kins, if you do, may I have the link?
b  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:15 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/morality-and-religion/how-humane-is-humanity/t.35482709/  

Dameon the -V-

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:13 pm
I have read it fully. It is poetic. It is epic. And it is right. You are beautiful in your statements. Your words ring far truer than any I've heard yet. They are pure. They are just. They are fair, and wise. I agree whole-heartedly, and that it why I said what I said. Your words need not support; their pride and valour support them. Besides, we all try to support our opinions on 'facts' which are merely more opinions refined to seem smart. Self-centred? Wrong again. You worry about the state of others, and of this planet. You worry about the collective Soul of Mankind, and are virtually (in more than one sense) selfless in presenting that arguement. Disorganized? So? Do you think I organize my lectures and sermons? No! I do all I do from the seat of my pains and the fire in my heart! And so what if you lost your opion and started to change? People change. It's natural. It's Balance. It's the way things are, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:18 pm
I thank you your kind words, Master Nightshade. Your sincerity and flattery is quite lovely. I wish I could accomplish such.
heart
Also, Teh Boxman, thanks to you for commenting. I realize that you pointed out the specific weak points. I was aware of some of them, but I am very glad to have heard of what you think on the matter.
b  

Bellabie

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:08 pm
You're welcome. I was actually not going to post because you've all heard my diatribe before, but I wanted to provide a counterpoint and see how people would react.

Also, that topic doesn't seem as popular as the others. I have a feeling it's going to sink several pages back in an hour or so. Maybe someone (Mobius, perhaps) should jump in and save it.

Most of the posts in the subforum revolve around religion, too, so I think it would've been best to post it in the main ED forum.

I voted it up, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:13 pm
Voted it where, friend?

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them, even a second time. I often forget that people cannot all agree. I tend to be selfish in that sense.
Thank you, once more.
b  

Bellabie

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:46 am
Perhaps a quote I said to a friend on the matter would spark some sort of discussion...

You need to give love to take love. You need to break love to make love.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:19 am
I think that topic died. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Do you think it's against the rules to make another post in the original ED forum that includes a link to the post in the M&R forum?  

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Bellabie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:24 pm
I should like to, but I do not know if I may.
I added another post for response in hopes of something, but I don't know if it will do any good.
It is a tad long...
sweatdrop
b  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:00 am
Yay!
I'm having this published in a magazine.
heart
b  

Bellabie

guantanamobayxx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:14 am
Wow, bellabie, that is an amazing concept. It isn't self centered at all, and you didn't stray your ideas. But as writing, the i's and a tad bit of disorganization don't make for a great essay. But it is a good essay, and I love your ideas and how well thought out they are and how much effort it seems you have put into this. And has for the magazing publication, congratulations. You have such great positive thinking and I envy you for it. This is great bella <333.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff