Reply Buying and Advice
semi vs revolver Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sabotabby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:28 am
My winter carry gun is a Sig p239. But I am thinking about switching to a Ruger sp101 (I'll be trial carrying one soon). I love my Sig but I was talking to the Rugers owner and I asked why he preferred that to a semi. He said up close he can pull the trigger and nothing will get tangled in the clothing of the attacker but with the semi the slide can get hung or snagged on jackets and such. Any input out there?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:05 am
Hi. Floyd's mule here.

Arguments can be made that any sidearm can catch something on a belt, purse or other item of clothing in a combat ready situation.

The hammer of the revolver or semi-auto is the best place to start. That item alone can act as a hook, making quick drawing your side arm a gamble.

A well placed holster is your best defense in dealing with carry concealed side arms. You'll need more input on that subject than I have time or space here to discuss.

Since I'm not familiar enough with either pistol you are considering, I cannot be more specific about recommendations in either case.  

fpgilmore

Generous Entrepreneur

13,925 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Generous 100

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:11 pm
I don't know much about sigs, but since the Ruger SP-101 is the smaller version of the GP-100 and a GP-model is the next gun I want I know a bit about it. And I know the SP is acurate, reliable, sturdy, and nice-looking.

As for revolvers versus autos on general, they both have advantages and disadvantages. When I'm 21 I'll be going for a Smith Airweight.

Revolvers...

The average number of rounds expended in a mugging, home defense situation, etc, is 2.3 rounds. So if you can't save yourself with five or six, you're probably not going to do it with ten, or twenty for that matter.

The versatility of the .357 Magnum revolver is that it can fire .38 Specials as well, making for cheaper and easier practice. And the more you practice, the better you get.

Revolvers basically never jam. And you might say "Well my auto hardly ever jams." But it only takes one jam to put you in a bad sitation. "The loudest sound in the world is a click when you want to hear a bang or a bang when you want to hear a click." Also, if a primer fails to activate, with a revolver you just pull the trigger again and it moves a new bullet in line. With an auto you have to shuttle the slide and let the bullet out.

Power. The .357 is pure, unadulterated velocity, and it puts good-sized holes in whatever it hits. It doesn't have the bulk of a .45 ACP bullet, but it goes faster. Think of the difference as getting hit by a baseball from a medicine ball.

Revolvers are simple. Push a button and the wheel falls out. Six chambers. If it's loaded or unloaded it's quite clear. No magazines and slides to check. Pop the cylinder in and pull the trigger--gun goes bang. No safeties, no slide catches, no nothing. Just bang. That's what you want in a personal defense situation.

Granted, autos have advantages as well.

More bullets, for one thing.

Generally lighter trigger pull, though many small autos are DA, so the trigger pull would be the same as a revolver.

Usually reloading is faster, but if you practice you can make a revolver just as fast. Jerry Miculek can fire six shots from a revolver, reload, and fire another six in 2.99 seconds. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giSaNiQ-Wb4 ) So revolvers aren't slow.

It's really personal preferance--whatever a person thinks is right for them. Because either way you can't go wrong.

But I don't kick down doors for a living, so I think five or six is enough.

"Six bullets... more than enough to kill anything that moves."  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:49 pm
im personally a revolver fan myself, i just am

the biggest advantage is THEY WILL NOT JAM  

tokarov

Old Lord Brocktree

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:53 pm
Correction, they rarely jam. If you never clean them, they will jam.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:55 pm
Old Lord Brocktree
thats if your a ******** idiot

(glock enthusiasts)

ooops lol

kidding, glocks are ok

but my point is they are very simple to use, people without any prior knowledge to handguns can use them and figure them out with little instruction  

tokarov

Old Lord Brocktree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:44 am
tokarov
Old Lord Brocktree

(glock enthusiasts)

ooops lol

kidding, glocks are ok

but my point is they are very simple to use, people without any prior knowledge to handguns can use them and figure them out with little instruction

When it was first issued, the M-16 was said to enver jam, so they never had cleaning kits.

Guess what happened?

One guy told me a story of how they were in a firefight, and nine people in his unit jammed their rifles.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:43 am
I don't like carrying wheel guns at all. They're just so damned wide.
The SP101 is pretty sexy though. heart  

I am an eggplant
Crew

Sabotabby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:34 am
Thanks guys! The SP is hammerless and really smooth. But I like having more rounds and I love my Sig. But .357 will make a bigger hole than a 9mm. Both of them have good and great points. I'm going to carry the Ruger next week and see how it feels. I have to use the holster the owner has and it doesn't fit as well as I would like but its not really bad. I have to special order holsters. Most holsters are made for men and you guys just don't have the curves we gals have! No offense! Hey I could wear the Sig on one side and the Ruger on the other! smile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:58 pm
Sabotabby
Hey I could wear the Sig on one side and the Ruger on the other! smile

That's the idea! Then if you're ever in a firefight you could lend someone you're with a gun for him/herself. When I carry I'll probably get a NAA Mini Revolver for a pocket to back-up the Airweight.

Pretty small back-up, though...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

ArmasTermin

RedNeckJuggernaut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:00 pm
3 words RUGER SPEED SIX  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:22 pm
Drako1413
3 words RUGER SPEED SIX

Two words, Colt Python.  

Barru

tokarov

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:32 pm
Old Lord Brocktree
tokarov
Old Lord Brocktree

(glock enthusiasts)

ooops lol

kidding, glocks are ok

When it was first issued, the M-16 was said to enver jam, so they never had cleaning kits.

Guess what happened?

One guy told me a story of how they were in a firefight, and nine people in his unit jammed their rifles.
well, now we know better

the original m16s=POS  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:15 pm
Sabotabby
Thanks guys! The SP is hammerless and really smooth. But I like having more rounds and I love my Sig. But .357 will make a bigger hole than a 9mm. Both of them have good and great points. I'm going to carry the Ruger next week and see how it feels. I have to use the holster the owner has and it doesn't fit as well as I would like but its not really bad. I have to special order holsters. Most holsters are made for men and you guys just don't have the curves we gals have! No offense! Hey I could wear the Sig on one side and the Ruger on the other! smile

Then why not get the best of both?
Get a Sig in Sig .357.
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=8&productid=63
See calibers.  

OberFeldwebel

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:17 pm
tokarov
Old Lord Brocktree
tokarov
Old Lord Brocktree

(glock enthusiasts)

ooops lol

kidding, glocks are ok

Guess what happened?

well, now we know better

the original m16s=POS

That and the place that they were being used was really ******** WET!  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff