Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Dotting your T's & Crossing your Eyes ;) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which way do YOU write the letter "i" ?
  One vertical line
  One vertical line & 2 horizontal lines (top & bottom)
View Results

Kuo51

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:55 pm
I was wondering something, there are 2 ways to write the letter "i"; One looks like this: {I} with 2 horizontal lines accross the top & bottom. The other way to write the letter "i" is to simply draw a vertical line, like so {l}. So which way do YOU write the letter "i", and do you have any other odd hand writing quirks?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:49 am
It really depends. I usually just draw a vertical line unless I'm going to putting in a lot of l's which are also vertical lines. I don't think about it too much because I don't hand write a lot anymore. Almost everything I need to turn in for school must be typed. It is a relief because my hand writing is pretty pathetic. I'm just not dexterous. I'm not lazy at all because I've tried and failed to improve it.  

Niccea Majeare

Tezur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:59 am
"I" think we've ran out of things to talk about here...that or I'm just bored and really wanting the temperature to rise even a little bit for walking... xp  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:01 pm
I'm Sorry. sweatdrop I created this thread while surfing late at night. Now that I think about it again it does sound kind of odd.  

Kuo51

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 am
In my normal writing, it is just one vertical line. However, if I'm writing something for Chemistry, I use the three-lined I. Iodine is a capital I, and one vertical line can mean an "I," a lowercase "L," or a "1." It gets really confusing when you're trying to figure out which one it is, so I make them look neat and tidy so I don't say, "The Ionization energy is the Azimuthal number? What?"  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:18 pm
I make my I's with a line on both the top and bottom. 3nodding I don't like getting them confused with my 1's and l's.  

Hersheydudette

Miss_Rag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:20 pm
Strangely enough, I use the "I" with the lines when I'm speaking about myself, but if it's at the beginning of a sentence, I use "|". >.>  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:12 am
I always use the "I". I don't want to confuse my letters.  

Sachiko13

Dodger Gunning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 pm
"l", because I'm really lazy, and I have a serif phobia. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:56 pm
I write the letter 'i' out as 'I'. Also, I'd like to note that ones can be written as '1' or 'l'. Due to this, I write my ones out as '1'. I think that there are 'l' I's due to old computers with few pixels. This caused the horizontal lineless I to become mainstream, at least in my oppinion.  

Zemedelphos

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

toachung

7,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:08 pm
I do it with the two horizontal lines because it gets a little weird and confusing when you have a word with "L"s and you write the "I" as just a line next to it. For an example, if it the word were written on paper: "lllustrate." It looks a little crazy to me.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:20 pm
I...think it changes, actually. I think all my letters change. Between cursive and print, between lowercase and uppercase in the middle of words. Sometimes I'll write a two story a and sometimes just one. I think most of the time I don't cross the I though.

Hmm, I kind of want to start a thread of scanning handwriting and posting it. That might be interesting. Or maybe I'm just weird and wanting to do anything other than design. That's entirely possible.  

Quatrina

Quatrina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:27 pm
Dodger Gunning
"l", because I'm really lazy, and I have a serif phobia. sweatdrop

But serifs are your friends! sad  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:49 pm
I really don't have to worry about that, because I type faster than I write so I type most of the time anyway, and I have this permanent muscle in my hand that makes me write in cursive! XD But I used to write it with the lines on the top and bottom, because I used to get confused. I also used to always capitalize my 'L's, for some reason. God, my own logic confuses me. o.o  

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

Satin Kiss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:03 pm
I typically write in a broken or lazy cursive. Not everything is connected, but a lot is. My I is one vertical line when standing alone, and when the beginning of a word, it's a vertical line curving into the next word. I can't print for too long, even on forms and applications.

I do on rare occasions add the serif lines, but sans serif mixed with script if my preferred style of writing.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff