Welcome to Gaia! ::

History Huggers

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who do want to live in the past! 

Tags: history, historical 

Reply Main Forum
Conditions in the Industrial Era Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Skizio
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:05 pm
Horrible.
It shocks me just how bad it was. It brough such progress, but it turned the average man into a lifeless zombie. Only thining about "sensual gratificaion" and gin. It's like the people who owned those factories didn't view these people as humans, they viewed them as tools, to be used to increase profit. It's hard to imagine a world like that. It still goes on today, how and to what extent I know not, living in a relativley wealthy suburban community, but I can imagine going down some of the more dangerous streets in New York and seeing similar conditions.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:22 pm
well i hate working long hours
but i love gin  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

radio paste
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:27 pm
The depersonalization introduced by the Industrial Revolution is still going strong today. Particularly as services continue to dominate the world's most "successful" countries' economies, workers become tools rather than people. The biggest difference between now and then is that despite the depersonalization, most standard workers have more money in their pockets, allowing them more freedom in their free time.

But the industrial revolution definitely created a new kind of worker, much like, as you said, a "lifeless zombie." And I do think it will continue, as more and more people get jobs behind computers.

Also, the number of people working horrible hours in factories is still high, and not just in "the most dangerous streets in New York". There are factories everywhere, if you keep your eyes open. I live in a suburb, too, not necessarily impoverished, but certainly not well-off, and there was a building that I always assumed to be an abandoned factory, until one night, around 10 PM when I saw the outline of people working through the windows. It was really eye-opening.

Forgive my rambling. XD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:10 pm
we're alll zombies in a way  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Skizio
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:12 pm
radio paste
The depersonalization introduced by the Industrial Revolution is still going strong today. Particularly as services continue to dominate the world's most "successful" countries' economies, workers become tools rather than people. The biggest difference between now and then is that despite the depersonalization, most standard workers have more money in their pockets, allowing them more freedom in their free time.

But the industrial revolution definitely created a new kind of worker, much like, as you said, a "lifeless zombie." And I do think it will continue, as more and more people get jobs behind computers.

Also, the number of people working horrible hours in factories is still high, and not just in "the most dangerous streets in New York". There are factories everywhere, if you keep your eyes open. I live in a suburb, too, not necessarily impoverished, but certainly not well-off, and there was a building that I always assumed to be an abandoned factory, until one night, around 10 PM when I saw the outline of people working through the windows. It was really eye-opening.

Forgive my rambling. XD

I see...for some reason I get the feeling that we are slowly moving towards how Industrialization looked like when it first began. It will proabably be diferent, but I think we are slowly going towards that decline. Afterwards we'll probably repeat the same thing...nobody learns from history because they die to quickly.

That's a good point...but as the population increases along with the amount of educated people in the United States, the average worker will not be worth much at all, so that may soon change. It's really ad that it's always going to be a cycle..

Jariah Syn; Most, not all.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:48 pm
true so true  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

wiilgator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:01 pm
Skizio
Horrible.
It shocks me just how bad it was. It brough such progress, but it turned the average man into a lifeless zombie. Only thining about "sensual gratificaion" and gin. It's like the people who owned those factories didn't view these people as humans, they viewed them as tools, to be used to increase profit. It's hard to imagine a world like that. It still goes on today, how and to what extent I know not, living in a relativley wealthy suburban community, but I can imagine going down some of the more dangerous streets in New York and seeing similar conditions.

its just like that now in iraq  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:38 pm
we're just mindless drones 2 the
"man"  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Skizio
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:53 pm
Jariah Syn
we're just mindless drones 2 the
"man"

She's the man. razz  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:26 pm
what  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Doctor_Orc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:18 pm
Now’s a bit different.
I had a real eye opener this year. This year I had a new class in College called something like “Management of Corporations”. It was incredible and awful at the same time. The detachment of reality we had to have to be able to say, write and make certain decisions was incredible. Workers were numbers, simple numbers. One of the main ways to save money in a business was to lay of people, because not only we would save his salary, we would save an extra in taxes. Also, if an illegal practice enables us to make money (after deducting the fine) we could do it.
There was also the labor. A certain country had workers able to work really cheap, so we could go there and build factories according to the standards that country demanded (sweat shops!). These countries had low conditions of life, but the more time the factory worked there, the people word start accumulation money. When the conditions of life rose to the point where the worker were able to buy the products they produced… well, that’s time to leave to the next country. The former workers would became consumers.

But in the industrial age there was one thing that helped a lot: Coffee and Tea. To be able to work almost around the clock, people would drink these, seeing that both have stimulant abilities. But as a beneficial side effect, boiling water ended up killing germs and making people healthier!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:47 pm
Doctor_Orc
Now’s a bit different.
I had a real eye opener this year. This year I had a new class in College called something like “Management of Corporations”. It was incredible and awful at the same time. The detachment of reality we had to have to be able to say, write and make certain decisions was incredible. Workers were numbers, simple numbers. One of the main ways to save money in a business was to lay of people, because not only we would save his salary, we would save an extra in taxes. Also, if an illegal practice enables us to make money (after deducting the fine) we could do it.
There was also the labor. A certain country had workers able to work really cheap, so we could go there and build factories according to the standards that country demanded (sweat shops!). These countries had low conditions of life, but the more time the factory worked there, the people word start accumulation money. When the conditions of life rose to the point where the worker were able to buy the products they produced… well, that’s time to leave to the next country. The former workers would became consumers.

But in the industrial age there was one thing that helped a lot: Coffee and Tea. To be able to work almost around the clock, people would drink these, seeing that both have stimulant abilities. But as a beneficial side effect, boiling water ended up killing germs and making people healthier!

They teach you this crap? If only they chose to teach ethical business practices instead. And treating employees like numbers ins't one of them, nor should profit be the number one goal of a business.  

Skizio
Crew

Doctor_Orc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:04 am
Actually, by law a corporation is obligated to generate profit. The law demands that the corporation maximizes its profits for the investors’ sake.

Also, with that “plural individual” a corporation is able to present itself as an individual, and as such, own things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation#For-profit_and_non-profit  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:47 pm
u know they only give u half tjy're profots  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:41 pm
i come originally from Mexico and i have worked on fields, it was hard work and i paid nothing but food, this job felt good. i now live in the United States and i work for a Starbucks, i feel like I'm just a piece that can be replace at anytime, this work feels like my soul it self is being drained away slowly. sorry if this was irrelevant to the conversation.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff