Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Archives
The Promised Land Times- New Edition Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:47 pm
User Image

This Week's Contents:

kind of skimpy, due to the fact nobody felt the need to contribute a whole lot....

Pokemon News: news ranging from anything about pokemon to events in the guild.

Pokemon of the Week: Thats right, its back! Be sure to vote on next weeks pokemon in the guild paper forum!

Building the perfect pokemon: The first step of making your beginner's team. More steps to come each issue!

Raike's game review: Our friendly neighborhood raike rates several games, giving us his personal review!

Warstory: A different warstory will appear each week, they can be submitted to me, if I don't receive one I'll make it myself

Editor's closing note: I sahll finish each volum with a small personal note from me!

This Week's Editorial Staff!

Deathguiser- Editor and Chief, journalist, etc.
Raike- game reviewer
Tyhoon- provider of battle for warstory
Nitnit: journalist

(Format of the old paper was closely followed)  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:09 pm
User Image

Time for the guild news! Below you will find all updates involving pokemon, and our very own guild!

Pokemon News:

Not a whole lot changes all of the time in the pokemon world, but just recently there was quite the break through! Smogon, the local pokemon community, recently announced that Deoxys Speed form was being moved from his original Uber tire to the Over Used tier! Thats right trainers, at this moment deoxys (Speed form only!) Is allowed to be in your team!

Deoxys speed has many capabilites, it can be your physical attacker, it can be a special attacker, it can be many many things! Its relation to the other deoxys forms are what had him in the Uber tier for so long, but now he's back with a vengence. Deoxys is what many would call a revenge killer, meaning he is generally sent out after the knockout of one of your pokemon.

Deoxys can use many sets effectively, and can be incredibly dangerous in the hands of an experienced trainer. here is the common set for deoxys:

Deoxys @ life orb
Mild nature
~pyschic/pyscho Boost
~Superpower
~Ice beam
~Thunderbolt
Comments: great coverage, can't be stopped by your average blissey. Speed froms Godly spped whipes the floor with many Choice Scarf using pokemon, but don't wase too many EV's on spped, you won't need a whole lot to get the job done. If your opponent is foolish enough to send out his blissey to counteract your deoxys, show him the errors of his ways with a nice superpower. Go here for more sets and ideas for this pokemon: http://www.smogon.com/

Guild News:

Unlike pokemon news, our guild news is constantly being updated! perhaps the biggest news right now is the recreation of the newspaper! Now lets move on to the list of updates we have this week!

~ It is currently decided that Deoxys-S is usable in everyone's OU teams, more will be known after testing.

~ nitnit posted a new rule declaring that every member of the guild is allowed one, and only one battle thread to promote the newest feature of the guild!

~ The promised land battle challenge is here! Trainers battle to gain fame among the guild, and to finally reach the top rank. So build those teams and let the poke balls fly!

~ It was announced that a Second round to the Wifi League will happen within a two month time frame! Don't get rusty trainers! Find a team and join quick!  

Deathguiser

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:11 pm
Pokemon of the Week: By Deathguiser

Since I know we all enjoyed seeing a pokemon of the week, I decided I should bring it back for the newly reformed newspaper. I will just pick the pokemon myself for this first week, and the rest shall be decided via voting. Enjoy!

User Image

National Dex:-----#3
Johto Dex:-----#---
Hoenn Dex:-----#---
Sinnoh Dex:-----#---
Type:-----Grass/Poison
Weight----- 220.5 lbs
Abilities:-----Overgrow
Egg group:-----Monster/Grass
Time to hatch:-----5,376
Catch rate:-----45

Pokedex Entry:
After a rainy day, the flower on its back smells stronger. The scent attracts other Pokemon.

User Image

Standard set:
Venusaur @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold/calm
~ Sleep Powder
~ Leech Seed
~ Energy Ball / Grass Knot
~ Sludge Bomb
EV: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Comments: The very standard of Venusaur, the annoyer. Venusaur has enough hitpoints and defenses to take a few hits before going down, and if your careful you'll have nothing to worry about. Start off with a sleep poweder (Wide lens can be subsituted for leftovers if you feel you need it) and leech seed the switch. Venusaur easily switches in with leech seed/leftovers continuously healing him, and finish off your oponents with a energy ball/grass knot/sludge bomb.

Choice Scarf set:
Venusaur @ choice scarf
Nature: Timid
~ Sleep Powder
~ Leaf Storm
~ Hidden Power Ice / Sludge Bomb
~ Earthquake
EV: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Comments: The Ev spreads and shoice scarf put Venusaur at a nice 405 speed. This can outrun many annoying counters for venusaur, giving him the lead. Lead with a sleep powder, and make a switch. Utilize this venusaur as a hit and run pokemon, switching in and out with leaf stroms and aother attacks to quickly knock off enemies. This set is reccomended for more advanced players used to battle predictions.

Choice Specs Set:
Venusaur @ choice specs
Nature: Modest
~ Leaf Storm
~ Sludge Bomb
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Sleep Talk
EV: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Comments: This set is the most uncommon of the three, due to its somewhat difficulty to use. The base power of Leaf Storm from Choice Specs Venusaur rivals that of Draco Meteor from Salamence. Only Pokémon with a 4x grass resist (Salamence, Dragonite, etc.), Blissey, and Celebi will be able to switch into it more than once without risk. Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Ice will make short work of the grass types and dragons that do not fear Leaf Storm. Sleep Talk makes him a good Pokémon to absorb sleep from the common Gengar lead while still maintaining his supreme usefulness. Watch out for Steel types like Jirachi and Metagross since they resist all your attacks.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:12 pm
Video Game Reviews: By Raike99

This is where I put all my video game reviews!I'll be periodically updating this section.If there are any games you'd recommend to me either send me a ROM or just tell me a name.I'll be rating the games on a scale of 1 to 10.Feel free to comment.

REVIEWS
Mario Galaxy(Wii)-This game is just ******** amazing.The graphics are top notch for a Wii game.The graphics are so detailed, and well created.The gameplay is really good.The scheme is also very basic.Plays as a platformer.The only problem is the damn sting ray riding s**t, it just doesn't work right.The difficulty is absolutely perfect.I just don't like the secret ******** my skills were enough to beat them.*shudder*The storyline is just like all other Mario games.Just a lot better.Beat some s**t.Fight Bowser.Own his a**, and get laid by the princess.Just like it should be.The ending was just frightening.I wont tell you what it was.The music is really nice.A lot of nostalgia and the usual light hearted Mario music.FINAL RESULT:10/10

Wii Play(Wii)-HOLY s**t.THIS GAME IS ******** BULL s**t.Good I didn't buy it.God damn rip off at 50.00.Luckily my Wii came with two Wiimotes.The graphics are just normal.Just little Miis running around, doing s**t.The control scheme changes for all the crappy little games.The difficulty either depends on the person you play with or the bad A.I. As expected the game has completely no storyline at all.Booooooring.The music in this game sucks.I don't like it.FINAL RESULT:1/10

Metroid Prime 3:Corruption(Wii)-I love the Metroid series.I really do.Damn fun.This game is damn good too.The graphics are BEAUTIFUL.So much detail.Really well done.Nice job Nintendo.The control scheme is a lot like Mario Galaxy.Just a bit different.Plays as a first-person shooter(Not sure.Not a big fan of war/shooter games.).The difficulty?DAMN HARD.Bunch of puzzles, and wave after wave of crazy-cool enemies.Story in a nutshell.Samus goes on a mission.Meets Dark Samus.Gets owned.Gets corrupted by her phazon.The music.Ooooh.Chiiiils.Nice creepy Metroid music.FINAL RESULT:9/10

Sonic Battle(GBA)-I like this game.It's fun.It's like a neo Sonic the Fighters.Just better.The graphics are good for the GBA.They are MUCH better than the Sonic Advance graphics.Good job SEGA.The control scheme is nice.No complications or any thing like that.Just fine.Plays as a 2.5D fighter.The difficulty changes with every fight you do depending on who it is.The story:Sonic bored.Sonic go to beach.Sonic find robot.Hell break loose.I just don't like how they have to find random reasons to kill each other.I love the music.Really good usual Sonic music.No references.FINAL RESULT:9/10

Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time(GC/N64)-Dear god.This game is GOOD.Amazing Zelda game.Possibly the best.The graphics aren't really good, but that 'cause the game is so old, and in 3D.Really polygony.The control is a little complicated, but good.Plays as a puzzler/adventure game.The puzzles are damn hard.A little too hard.The difficulty is ******** story:I don't remember.Too complicated.Besides, I haven't beaten the game yet.The music is okay.It's usual Zelda music, but I don't really like that music.FINAL RESULT:10/10(My comments don't really show.)

NiGHTS:Journey of Dreams(Wii)-Oh...DAMN!I LOVE this game!SO FUN.The graphics are like the Saturn game just a lot better.The cutscenes are really choppy though.The control kinda sucks.Luckily there are 3 to choose from.Two of which are basically the same.The Wiimote+Nucnchuk and GameCube controllers are basically the same.Avoid just using the Wiimote.TOUGH.Plays as an adventure game...I think.Not sure.Still good though.The difficulty...it's okay.Basically depends on the level.Bosses are really frustrating to me.The story:About two kids.Will, and Helen.Some crazy s**t happens to them, and the keep getting nightmares.Eventually the end up in Nightopia, and meet NiGHTS.Wont tell ya anymore.The music.I like it.Lighthearted, but good.A little bit of nostalgia.The returning tunes make me feel all good inside.FINAL RESULT:9/10

Bleach:Shattered Blade(Wii)-Ugh.This game is sad.Lets get on with the review.The graphics are actually really good for cell-shaded.Pretty detailed.The controls are good.Not many problems.Again kinda like Mario Galaxy.Wiimote+Nunchuk.Plays as a fighter.The difficulty is chosen.This game really resembles a Naruto game.Easy is really easy.Enemy practically stops doing anything.Medium is okay.Not too far from easy.Hard is a true medium.Enemy "starts" trying really hard.Just does whatever.The story:Big rock.Big rock break.Mexican (Seriously.His voice has a heavy Spanish accent.)half hollow gets released.People fight to get pieces of rock.s**t happens.The music is okay.Most of the tunes suck, but the good ones are really good.FINAL RESULT:6/10

Sonic Riders(GC)-....Dear god.Okay lets just do the review.The graphics are actually pretty good when you play.Now the unimportant cutscene's graphics are bullshit.So choppy.So bullshitty.The important cutscene's graphics are really damn good.The controls don't really have any problems.The attacks are kinda hard to do.Plays as a racer.I don't really like racing games.The difficulty is just too damn hard.Ridiculous.Story:Sonic get emeralds.Sonic get emeralds stolen.Sonic chase.Sonic fail.Sonic race.The music is okay.Not too good not too bad.FINAL RESULT:3/10

Sonic Adventure 2(DC/GC)-YES.AMAZING ******** yea.The graphics aren't that good, but they were good for the DC's time and good for early GC time.There are absolutely no problems with me, and the controls.Occasionally the camera gets stuck.Plays as an action/adventure/racer game.The difficulty level depends on how good YOU are at video games.Story:Eggman bad.Eggman release angsty hedgehog.Hell break loose.Now for the music...simply...AMAZING.FINAL RESULT:10/10

Megaman 3(NES/GC)-OH MY GOD.KING OF MEGAMAN GAMES.Alright.Lets DO this s**t!The graphics are actually really good for the NES.Pretty well detailed.Amazing job Capcom.AMAZING JOB.The controls are really simple.Basically the same as 1&2.Plays as a platformer/adventure.Nice.The difficulty level depends on how good you are at video games.For me?Normal.A little hard, but normal.Story:I forgot.Post later.The music is awesome.Very,VERY good for the 8-bit era.I loved the music.FINAL RESULT:10/10

Soul Calibur 2(GC,PS2,XBOX)-Hm.Very good fighting game.The graphics, are actually REALLY good for the time it was made.Not many glitches either.Just a few rough movements.The controls aren't the easiest, but easy to learn.Not many problems.Plays as a fighter.The difficulty can be adjusted, and depends how good you are at the game.Very good selection.Story:Not really any storyline.The music is actually pretty damn good.Nice tunes.FINAL RESULT:9/10  

Deathguiser

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:14 pm
Building Your Perfect Team: Step 1
Building a pokemon team can be hard for beginners, and they usually just flock to the coolest looking, fastest, and strongest pokemon. Sure, this isn't a bad idea for battling people who fight similarly, but when you get to the competitive level you find you just don't compare. In the guide below I will give tips for building the perfect team! (Please note this guide is for people who just can't get their pokemon team going, not meant for advanced players. Since if you are advanced players, you shouldn't need help XD)

Step 1: Selecting your pokemon

As I said above, it isn't a good idea just to fill your team up with the buffest pokemon you can find, but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for them somewhere in your team!

Here’s what you basic team should look like:

1 physical sweeper
1 special sweeper
1 physical wall
1 special wall
1-2 other purpose pokemon

Now let’s take a look at some good pokemon to start your competitive battling team with. Once you get more used to the flow of battle, you may want to think more outside of the box, or you might want to just stick to the basics.

Sweepers:
Sweepers are the pokemon you use to "Sweep" through your opponents team for that hard earned victory. There are many advanced tactics to making your sweeper a powerhouse, but we will come to that in steps to come. Sweepers should excel in high attacks and special attacks, and high speeds. Good sweepers: Garchomp, gengar, yanmega, infernape, weavile, metagross (with agility), etc.

Walls: Pokemon meant for absorbing heavy attacks, and paving the way for you to switch in your sweepers. Many battlers like to hand over status moves to their walls to hinder their enemies pokemon, making them simple ofr you to pick off. Aside from walls having just a high defense or special defense, some walls have high stats in BOTH defense and special defense such as cresselia and Bronzong. Good Walls: blissey, skarmory, cresselia, bronzong, snorlax, miltank, etc.

Other: Pokemon don't have to be just walls or sweepers, some fall into other categories. I will briefly cover these categories.

Annoyer: A pokemon meant for status effects, used to hinder other pokemon. Good example is venusaur (see PotW)

Staller: used to make you wait out an effect such as toxic, or just to wittle down one of your pokemon into defeat. Most common example is probably Umbreon.

Cleric: Pokemon that recover your other teamates from status effects and battle damage, such as Blissey and Celebi

Hazer: Similar to cleric, but just geared towards removing status effects. I believe Blastoise is sometimes used as a Hazer.

Rapid spinner: Pokemon that is used to remove stealth rocks and spikes that could normally ruin your team's strategy. Rapid spinners are also known to lay down their own sets of stealth rocks, spikes, and/or toxic spikes.

I well go further into the basics of building a team next week, be sure to post questions or comments on things I might have forgotten, let me know!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:06 pm
WARSTORY! By Deathguiser, thanks to Tyhoon for a good battle!

((This was written AFTER the battle, so it may not be completely accurate))

Deathguser Vs. Tyhoon
6v6
Main clauses intact
No voice chat

Deathguiser sent out Deoxys-S lv. 100
Tyhoon sent out Hippowdon lv.100

Hippowdon's sand stream starts a sand storm
Deoxys used Ice beam
Hippowdown takes 100% damage
Hippowdon fainted
Deoxys is buffeted by the sandstorm

Tyhoon Sent out Tyranitary Lv. 100
Deathguiser switched deoxys out.
Deathguiser sent out swampert lv. 100

Tyranitar used Dragon dance

Tyranitar used Crunch (swampert lost half HP)
Swampert used roar!
Garchomp is sent out.

garchomp used outrage
Swampert loses 50% HP. Swampert fainted

Deathguiser sent out Deoxys-S lv.100 (big mistake coming XD)
Garchomp used outrage.
Deoxys-S fainted.

Deathguiser sent out Garchomp lv. 100
Garchomp(D) used outrage
Garchomp(T) fainted.

Tyhoon sent out regirock lv.100

Garchomp used outrage
Regirock lost 15% health
Regirock used curse!
Garchomp became confused! garchomp used outrage
Regirock lost 13% health
Regirock used Explosion!
Garchomp and regirock fainted

Deathguiser sent out Heatran lv. 100
Tyhoon sent out Aerodactyl lv.100

Deathguiser switched out heatran
Deathguiser sent out jirachi lv. 100

Aerodactyl used dragon claw! It wasn't very effective

Tyhoon switched out aerodactyl
Tyhoon sent out swampert.

Jirachi used reflect

Jirachi used zen headbutt!
Swampert lost 10% health

Swampert used curse!
Jirachi used Zen Headbutt
Swampert lost 11% damage

Swampert used curse
Jirachi used zen headbutt

Swampert flinched!
Jirachi used zen headbutt

Swampert used earthquake!
jirachi lost 48% Health
Jirachi used U-Turn!

Celebi lv 100 was sent out

Tyhoon switched swampert out.
Tyhoon sent out tyranitar

Celebi used grass knot. Tyranitar lost 60% HP
Celebi used grass knot. Tyanitar fainted!

Tyhoon sent out Aerodactly

Aerodactyl Used Fire Blast (44% Damage)
Celebi Used Leech Seed
The Sandstorm Rages
Aerodactyl had its health sapped by leech seed

Tyhoon sent out Swampert
Celebi used Grass Knot (100%+)
Swampert Fainted
The Sandstorm Rages
Dethguiser's Reflect wore off

Tyhoon sent out Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl used Crunch (30%)
Celebi used Leech Seed
The Sandstorm Rages
Aerodactyl had its health sapped by Leech Seed

Deathguiser sent out Jirachi
Aerodactyl used Crunch (20%)
The Sandstorm Rages
Jirachi Restored its health with leftovers

Jirachi used Reflect
Reflect Raised the teams defense
The Sandstorm Rages
Aerodactyl fainted
Taylor whited out...

End result
Deathguiser 3/Tyhoon 0  

Deathguiser

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:08 pm
Deoxys compared to other OU legendaries. By nitnit

Azelf's Notable Special Moves

((All elements can be accessed via hidden power, although they will be weaker than most standard special attacks (thunderbolt, ice beam, etc)))

Psychic Moves (STABed)

- Psychic
- Extrasensory
- Future Sight

Water Moves

- Water Pulse

Fire Moves

- Flamethrower
- Fire Blast

Ghost Moves

- Shadowball

Electric Moves

- Thunderbolt
- Thunder
- Shock Wave
- Charge Beam

Grass Moves

- Energy Ball
- Grass Knot

Ok, so Azelf VS Deoxys on the special front

Both have around equal amounts of types to choose from, except azelf gets flamethrower, whilest deoxys gets ice beam. Deoxy's also gets focus blast, so he narrowly wins the coverage battle, and to top it off, deoxy's gains an auto 100 damage move, another option in case you're afraid of shuckle or some s**t. Also, while not a direct attack, deoxy's has access to mirror coat, making him even more unpredictable.

Azelf trumps deoxys in ways of powering up - both have calm mind, but Azelf has the elusive Nasty Plot. Deoxys has agility... but, he won't be needing that in his speed form.

However, on the physical front azelf is extremely limited, having mostly Explosion, Return and U-Turn as notable moves.

Deoxys wins over with a STABed Zen Headbutt, Pursuit, Superpower, Counter, the priority based Extremespeed, focus punch, return, brick break, aerial ace, rockslide, drain punch and avalanch.

The only redeeming quality azelf has here is explosion.

As for supporting moves, Deoxys wins again, with stealth rocks, spikes, recover, psycho shift, knock off, thunder wave, and cosmic power and pretty much whatever azelf can do in forms of support.

Azelf does have much better attack stats, but the problem with Deoxys, in my eyes at least, is the fact that it can do everything... While its HP sucks, with 95 base defenses it can be slightly bulky, laying down rocks, knocking off items, and then dealing some damage ((all the while outspeeding everything mind you))

I'll actually reformat this and make it an article for the guild paper... I'm now on a roll to show just how ridiculously overpowered deoxys is.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:10 pm
Editor's Closing note: By deathguiser!

Well, my attempt to fix up the newspaper will hopefully be quite the success! We didn't get a whole lot of articles this week, but after this issue we can only hope for more! until next time, enjoy and discuss!  

Deathguiser

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:43 pm
IF YOU WANT A MOVIE/GAME/MUSIC ALBUM REVIEWED BY ME, PM ME AND I'LL MAKE A REAL FULL LENGTH REVIEW.

That is all.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:59 pm
The ending of the warstory needs to be cleared up just a little bit.

Aerodactyl Used Fire Blast (44% Damage)
Celebi Used Leech Seed
The Sandstorm Rages
Aerodactyl had its health sapped by leech seed

Tyhoon sent out Swampert
Celebi used Grass Knot (100%+)
Swampert Fainted
The Sandstorm Rages
Dethguiser's Reflect wore off

Tyhoon sent out Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl used Crunch (30%)
Celebi used Leech Seed
The Sandstorm Rages

Deathguiser sent out Jirachi
The Sandstorm Rages
Jirachi Restored its health with leftovers

Jirachi used Reflect
Reflect Raised the teams defense
The Sandstorm Rages
Aerodactyl fainted
Taylor whited out...

End result
Deathguiser 3/Tyhoon 0  

Tyhoon

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:06 pm
thaniks tyhoon, couldn't remember properly, and I had to go to dinner XD Edited it.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:44 am
Now time for my criticisms.

News section is cool.

PotW needs better graphics and organization. I don't really care about stealing from smogon, but it should at least look good.

VG reviews are illegible and biased, as expected from Raike.

Team building needs to be more flexible.

Warstory was well done, but needs to be more consistent regarding capitalization. Who cares about that outside of me anyways?

Deoxys analysis is oddly spaced out as expected from Nit.

It overall needs more art from Knight to make it look appealing. Good first issue though.  

Shigeru the Hero

PhoenixBlade983

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:18 am
Good job I like it!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:41 am
Lol, it actually says that I'll reformat it for the paper in the article xD

I got lazy and forgot to. Hopefully it's helpful for anyone who wants to compare azelf and deoxys, I'll make a better one for next week ((hopefully))  

nitnit
Captain

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 am
I guess I can revise raike's reviews (If he continues them) and somehow I mad the pictures in PotW too big, I'll have to work on it. I basically follwed the same format as jonnn used to in the old PotW

On the team building, I did it in a bit of a rush, and I'll do it better on the remaining steps. I appreciate the criticism.  
Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff