Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
best yarn for sweaters? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bookaholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:05 pm
This is going to be my first time making one, so I don't want to use any of those fancy yarns. I'm thinking of ordering from Lion Brand online, but I don't know what kind to get.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:11 am
it depends on what type of sweater you want to make... confused

my most recent sweater involves a wool-cotton blend, size 6 needles, and some ribbon.

centaury

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:32 am
I'd just suggest using something that's at least 90% a natural fiber- they breathe better, making a sweater more wearable. Also, cotton sweaters tend to be very heavy, so wool or wool and cotton blends tend to work better.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:00 pm
Gauge, type of sweater, when do you plan to wear it, and how do you feel about fiber care? And you'll have to define "Fancy." razz

My personal favorite so far is super-wash wool. I've used both Dream In Color and KnitPicks' line of it. Both have had wonderful results.  

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

bookaholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:16 pm
Hm... I want to be able to wash it in the machine, but it's not essential... If I did, I'm supposing it would shrink, right?

The pattern that I got uses acrylic yarn.... I didn't want to use the yarn that they did, though, because it's rather scratchy.

Also, what's the best place to buy yarn online? I already looked at Lion brand, but I'd like to know other people's opinions.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:44 pm
i dont like lion brand yarns. just a personal opinion. i like kpixie.com for buying yarn online. but i think its best to go to your LYS for yarn. then you can see the yarn in person, and see if it will be right for your pattern.

centaury

bookaholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:27 pm
The only store around here that isn't specialty yarn (as in hand-dyed and outrageously expensive) is Michaels, and it sucks... it only carries 3 brands.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:58 pm
I'd recommend Webs for sweater quantity yarn. Orders over $60 are 20% off. I don't know if that's more than you're looking to spend. Elann.com is also a really good source for discount yarns, and they have a really big selection of yarns. You could probably find something there in whatever fiber type you're looking for.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:02 am
Good yarn suggestions (these are all affordable and fairly easy to find):

** All of these are worsted weight unless noted **

Wool/Acrylic -
Lion Brand Wool Ease (25% wool/75% acrylic)
Plymouth Encore (30% wool/70% acrylic)

100% wool:
Lion wool
Paton's classic wool (they sell this at Jo Ann's)
Plymouth Galway
Cascade 220

Wool blends:
Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride (15% mohair/85% wool comes in worsted an bulky)
Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (50% cotton, 50% wool)

Sources:

Webs (listed above)

www.herrschners.com
www.knitpicks.com (they have thier own brands which are pretty nice to work with)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:37 pm
DecemberFlower
I'd recommend Webs for sweater quantity yarn. Orders over $60 are 20% off. I don't know if that's more than you're looking to spend. Elann.com is also a really good source for discount yarns, and they have a really big selection of yarns. You could probably find something there in whatever fiber type you're looking for.

i LOVE webs. its about an hour away from my house, so i go there all the time. they have the most amazing selection EVER and affordable prices too, and all the best brands like noro (okay, so i'm biased. noro is my favorite brand), brown sheep, blue sky alpacas, etc. etc.

p.s. to the author of this thread: other things to take into consideration are yarn weight, color, fiber, etc. acyrlic tends to be itchy and squeaky, if it is cheaply made, because it is made out of plastic. animal fibers are my personal favorite. experiment a bit to find out which works best for you. what sort of sweater do you want to make? (cardigan, pullover, short sleeved, cropped, scoopneck, turtleneck, vee-neck, etc.)

centaury

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:26 pm
centaury
DecemberFlower

i LOVE webs. its about an hour away from my house, so i go there all the time. they have the most amazing selection EVER and affordable prices too, and all the best brands like noro (okay, so i'm biased. noro is my favorite brand), brown sheep, blue sky alpacas, etc. etc.

p.s. to the author of this thread: other things to take into consideration are yarn weight, color, fiber, etc. acyrlic tends to be itchy and squeaky, if it is cheaply made, because it is made out of plastic. animal fibers are my personal favorite. experiment a bit to find out which works best for you. what sort of sweater do you want to make? (cardigan, pullover, short sleeved, cropped, scoopneck, turtleneck, vee-neck, etc.)

Someday, I hope to make a pilgrimage to Webs. xp For now, I'll content myself with just ordering online and enjoying the discount.

And to the OP, if you're looking for some recommendations for fiber types, if it's a cold weather sweater, I'd recommend something with wool or alpaca. Alpaca especially, for it is heart .  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:34 am
...I used to live 30 minutes from webs and never once went....

I know, I know! Dumb move. But- I always thought of it on sundays and their closed sundays.  

Silver Mist

centaury

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:24 pm
Silver Mist
...I used to live 30 minutes from webs and never once went....

I know, I know! Dumb move. But- I always thought of it on sundays and their closed sundays.

lol yeah... by "all the time" i meant more like "once every few months." usually i just go to my LYS.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:11 pm
centaury
DecemberFlower

the pattern is a longish cardigan, kind of like a trenchcoat (but not)  

bookaholic

centaury

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:53 am
bookaholic
centaury
DecemberFlower

the pattern is a longish cardigan, kind of like a trenchcoat (but not)

do you know what size needles and yarn weight the pattern calls for? that could help...

Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff