Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wormmon
Captain

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:51 pm
User ImageUser Image

Someone wrote the word kawaii in their post today in the GCD and I know people tend to be rude and sarcastic in the GCD but. . someone decided to tell this person that they were being a Japanese wannabe and to stop abusing the Japanese language just because they said Kawaii and only once might I add.

I don't see how that is both wannabe-ish or abusing the language. o_O Who is this person to tell them how to speak/type anyway? For all they know, this person behind the avatar could be Japanese. Let them say that instead of cute if they want to.

If people are annoyed by the word Kawaii, hell they should be annoyed by every single word in every single language. Every word is used all the time.

What do you guys think of this?User Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:18 pm
I just kinda don't like people who mix languages in general. Sure, okay, we get it, you can "speak" more than one language. Now show that you're actually smart by sticking to one. Even just one word kinda annoys me, unless it's for a purpose. But really, why, use "kawaii" instead of "cute"? It makes no sense to me. In my defense, I'd do it with any language. If someone randomly stuck guapo in a post instead of the word handsome, I'd get just as annoyed.

The difference between me and those GCDers, though, is that I don't actually tell the person to quit it. I just kinda look at it, get a bit annoyed at it, and move on. End~

I don't like people who get on someone's case for something minor. Like I said, stuff like that annoys me. But not enough to get on someone's case 'cause of it. Kinda like I don't run around and correct people's spelling/grammar left and right. Bad spelling and grammar annoys me a lot more than mixing languages. But there could be reasons behind the errors. The person could have some sort of learning deficiency, or English isn't their first language or something. Who am I to judge, anyway? I don't use perfect grammar online.

<.< And now I'm completely off topic. So I'll stop. n.n"  

NightIntent

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:20 am
KAWAII BAKA DESU

It doesn't bother me. I say "uber" every now and again, so I'm not in a position to judge. I don't see how it hurts anything. Some languages even have whole borrowed words. =0

Eh, there are worse things to be annoyed about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:09 am
I'm pretty sure desu is less Japanese, and more of something some girl says at the end of every sentence in Rozen Maiden...

Rathmanian

gimme_chocolate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:20 am
Desu is Japanese, it's the copula. Most basically, it means that something "is" something else.

Though I have my limits--I usually only do it when talking/typing to friends or myself--I use what I call "hybrid sentences" a lot. Example: "How hen," "hen" being the Japanese word for "strange." Also, occasionally I'll start babbling to myself in Japanese and realize that I don't know all the words I need, so I'll say those in English.

But as I said, I avoid doing this in front of others because I know it's a rather silly habit of mine. Also, I'm planning to major in Japanese and become a translator, so I like to think that that gives me the right to practice speaking Japanese whenever the heck I like.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:52 am

I can understand why some people may find it annoying. If you put your time into learning something, you probably don't like seeing people well...doing it wrong. It does annoy me when people make stupid comments about the things that come under my degree program.

But I do think that some people are a tad too protective of the Japanese language, and to be honest, it does just seem like an excuse for elitism. If I say "ja" instead of "yes", I fail to see how it harms the German language at all. Spanish doesn't care if I say "uno" instead of "one".

Maybe it's because I'm just not interested in Japan, so I'm having a problem with empathising and missing the fact that Japanese is special. I dunno.

gimme_chocolate: Agreed. And good luck with your plans. =]

Language shouldn't be treated like it's sacred. It should be treated like what it is: a fluid thing that evolves over time and a tool for expressing things. If two words express the same thing, then why should it matter? Aside from the fact that some people may not understand it.

I really can't see what the fuss is about. If someone cares enough to learn it, then why shouldn't they use it? And if they don't and they're just spewing crap, you have every right to ignore them if it bothers you that much.

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

Devil Nightlord_Dante

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:10 am
I dunno, as an Otaku myself, even I found the word KAWAII annoying. Its stupid how I see there's a ton of phrases and kawaii being no.1, and now I believe its become a freaking joke. Even manga now see adding kawaii is an acceptable and universal word, its like saying cool and forget that its no longer popular anymore...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:17 pm
Mixing languages itself doesn't annoy me, it's more the intention behind them, which is almost always to 'show off' it would seem.

I type the way I talk. Pretty much EXACTLY the way I talk. So if I do a language meld, it's only because I'd actually say that in real life. I never use Japanese though.  

Dragonfire Goddess

capcartoonist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:43 pm
kawaii !!!

First and only time I've ever used that word.

biggrin

What does it mean?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:48 pm
People who are multi-lingual often switch around languages in order to convey exact meanings that one language has when another doesn't.

At the Orion's Arm SF World-builing site, it is presumed that the Post-humans speak "Polygot," which is basically a composite of EVERY known language. Again, it's designed so that people in conversation can pick and choose terms that will convey precise meanings.

Also, Japanese uses a lot of loan words from English.

And English itself borrows and steals vocabulary from everywhere. For example, the word "couch" (meaning a vehicle, not a sofa) is not English at all, but Hungarian.  

capcartoonist

Marikaa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:55 am
I guess people are being annoyed by the word "kawaii" because it's overused. However, I'm not ninja

Kawaii..no desu! whee  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:19 pm
I don't really mind.
Heck, once i thought they meant hawaii but they typed it wrong. sweatdrop  

MyntyGreen

Nyadriel

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:47 am
I have very little to say about it. Except that I dont like how certain things are like... over used. Ya know? (a little California Valley girl talk there which one of THE most annoying language forms there is in America. So its not just over use of words)

ANNOYINNNNG!!

I do find it interesting that peopl ARE not above themselves to learn a different language and are willing to use it - as long as they dont confuse people with it. I made a complaint once in a guild I am in that if they were gonna use Japanese to please give the rest of us a translation.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:36 am
Was gilt that most people who say "Kawaii!" don't even know what it means?

Like the Hindu living in Japan (I forget the manga this was in) who was told that "p***y" meant "Hello." So he'd walk into a room, wave his arm in the air and shout out "p***y!" with a big grin on his face. What a maroon.  

capcartoonist

Ruka Minazuki

6,300 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:01 pm
capcartoonist
Was gilt that most people who say "Kawaii!" don't even know what it means?

Like the Hindu living in Japan (I forget the manga this was in) who was told that "p***y" meant "Hello." So he'd walk into a room, wave his arm in the air and shout out "p***y!" with a big grin on his face. What a maroon.

rofl  
welcome to - P o l l s P a r a d i s e - We need life! D:

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces