Reply The BIONICLE Guild
Anyone hate the new figures? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Partum Ignis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:01 pm
Well, yeah. I've been a Bionicle fan since it can out in July of 2001. I remember seeing the first TV commercials while I ate dinner with my family. I remember looking at my mom and saying, "Mommy, I want a Bionicle," and I remember the excitement of getting my first figures.

But now, much of that magic is gone, and it's not just because I'm 18 now. It's because the sets have changed so drastically. I have all the sets through 2005, and absolutely love them. But when I look at the small collection of 2006 and 2007 figures, I almost want to cry. BIONICLE is now completely about pose-ability, and no longer about functionality.

So I ask you, do you miss the old gear functions of the classic figures?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:51 pm
Well, I sure do miss those nifty gear functions, the only recent sets to have them are Pohatu Phantoka and Icarax.

Anyways, this is a bit off topic but who came up with "gear functions", or is that what it's supposed to be called?  

KZN02
Captain

Aekea Warrior

19,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Marathon 300

Hugh-T-Jass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:14 pm
Partum Ignis
Well, yeah. I've been a Bionicle fan since it can out in July of 2001. I remember seeing the first TV commercials while I ate dinner with my family. I remember looking at my mom and saying, "Mommy, I want a Bionicle," and I remember the excitement of getting my first figures.

But now, much of that magic is gone, and it's not just because I'm 18 now. It's because the sets have changed so drastically. I have all the sets through 2005, and absolutely love them. But when I look at the small collection of 2006 and 2007 figures, I almost want to cry. BIONICLE is now completely about pose-ability, and no longer about functionality.

So I ask you, do you miss the old gear functions of the classic figures?
Listen, there is a simple equation here.

Bionicle= Main Money Maker = Saves Lego

However, take out Bionicle and Lego goes out. To keep the sets selling they have to follow trends and the focus groups, and nowadays kids like pose-able toys, not functional ones. Besides, the functionality is kinda covered by the projectiles. I've been a fan since 2002, and it had to have been early 2002, cause the Turaga were still on shelves. I've sen the sets slowly change, and I have to say, no matter what, I'll love Bionicle.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:55 am
Well, I've also been a Bionicle fan since 2001, and of course the sets were very different from the new ones. But this doesn't mean they are worse, I still like them. And BTW, I think the gear functions of some of the Toa, all the Toa Nuva and all the Toa Metru was terrible, since it made them even harder to pose - turn one arm and the other arm is turning, too. Poseability isn't the most important thing, of course, but if sets are missing poseability because of missing articulations, you don't have to make them even more unposeable.

The only thing I don't like about the new sets is that the 2008 Toa Nuva don't look like the 2002 ones at all... But if they weren't called Toa Nuva, I'd like them, too. wink  

Toa-Nuva

raphaelninja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:55 pm
Me and my brother have at least some of most of the generations, (we started on the original Toa Nuva) and though the new ones are not my favorite, (we get Lego magazine and it has a comic in it.)(WHAT DID THEY DO TO KOPAKA!!!??? gonk He's funny!!!) I still like the new sets. I have Lewa, Tanma, Kopaka, and Solek, and my brother has Antroz, Radiak, Vamprah, Gavla, Mutran, and Vican.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:34 am
Kopakas_girl
(WHAT DID THEY DO TO KOPAKA!!!??? gonk He's funny!!!)

That reminds me, I believe somewhere in DeviantArt that there's some artwork explaining how Kopaka got that rod in his mask.  

KZN02
Captain

Aekea Warrior

19,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Marathon 300

Mozart Anarchy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:39 pm
KZN02
Kopakas_girl

That reminds me, I believe somewhere in DeviantArt that there's some artwork explaining how Kopaka got that rod in his mask.

El oh el.

Link pls? XD

And that funny rod in Kopaka's mask...

It's just a lego piece. What they use for the lightsabers in the SW line. gonk

AND TAHU LOOKS SILLY. HE HAS TARGETS ON HIM.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:24 pm
BeadedSerpent
KZN02
Kopakas_girl

El oh el.

Link pls? XD

And that funny rod in Kopaka's mask...

It's just a lego piece. What they use for the lightsabers in the SW line. gonk

AND TAHU LOOKS SILLY. HE HAS TARGETS ON HIM.

Link. Wow, what a coincidence, that artwork does have a lightsaber invovled.

Anyways for Tahu, I think of those "targets" as jet turbines.  

KZN02
Captain

Aekea Warrior

19,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Marathon 300

TheDarkHooded

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 am
It may be a lighsaber piece, but if it was really what it was supposed to be.... it's a scope. You know, like in Resident Evil 4? (all the weapons have a red scope) I can understand why people hate it, it does look weird on its own, but every time I look at mine, I think of a scope going on and on and on until it hits something, and I've actually grown used to it.

As for Lewa and Pohatu, They're great! Bah, cookie cutter designes, same old armor from other sets. Personally, I like the way they look. Lewa actually looks like he's wearing armor and Pohatu's super speedy feet have been moved to his arms.

*spoiler alert*

Even though Kopaka doesn't have a shield, he still uses one in Bionicle Legends #9

*end spoiler*

And well, yeah. As I said before, the Nuva, though completeling their mission in getting things ready for Mata Nui's awakening, still got their butts kicked over and over in the online stories. They needed a modern change, and this (I believe) is it. At least for Pohatu, Lewa, and Kopaka.

Now, as for Tahu, Gali, and Onua, the only one I am pleased with is Onua, but I haven't gotten to see very good pictures of the sets (They apparently mixed up a bunch of pieces between Onua and Gali at the toyfair thingie) and, yeah. Don't like that there's no Hau, or Metru Hau, but hey, their armor is from Artahka. Perhaps Artahka made a new mask of shielding the way he thought it should look ^^;;;;;;

As for the Makuta, they were walking all over everything until The Nuva reached Karda Nui =D  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:21 pm
TheDarkHooded
It may be a lighsaber piece, but if it was really what it was supposed to be.... it's a scope. You know, like in Resident Evil 4? (all the weapons have a red scope) I can understand why people hate it, it does look weird on its own, but every time I look at mine, I think of a scope going on and on and on until it hits something, and I've actually grown used to it.

That's exactly what I like about the red rod on the Akaku, it's like a laser pointer. But could have been better is if we could have a real laser pointer in the mask, like what they did for Piraka eyes. That would be more appealing.  

KZN02
Captain

Aekea Warrior

19,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Marathon 300

TheDarkHooded

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:11 pm
Yes, most definitly! I was talking with a co-worker today about that. It would be weird for Kopaka to only light up, plus he'd cost more money, but I don't doubt that someone is going to custom make one! =D  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:46 pm
sometimes I do miss the gear functions but then I buy the sets have them built for like a month and then dismantle them and put them into my bigger collection, so the model of the new sets do'nt bother me that much because the way I see it I get newer more detailed pieces for my bigger mocs. so I guess ethier way it doesnt matter to me what the sets are like.  

kopakanui

Yitsul

Romantic Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:09 pm
like I said before, I don't like how krika and gorast lack full limb articulation and have avotoran limbs  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:36 pm
I think the limbs fit pretty well, though I must agree they went all out on the matoran parts for the three insect Makuta.

But it does make sense, the Av-limbs are a lot more insect and alien like than anything else we've seen before in Bionicle. At least they're not cookiecutter designes. ^_~ I think they'll make considerably better sets than Tahu, Gali, and Onua. (still have mixed feelings about those three)  

TheDarkHooded

Rabin Toa of Electricity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:23 pm
I'm not that big a fan of Kopaka's lightsaber eye, so I replaced it with a red Barraki eye. Looks a bit better IMHO.
-Rabin

The BIONICLE Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces