Welcome to Gaia! ::

History Huggers

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who do want to live in the past! 

Tags: history, historical 

Reply Main Forum
Money Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

should gold really be valuable?
  yes it's gold
  no it's just a metal
  it has many productive properties that help us
  shiny!
  does it mater? it works.
View Results

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:54 pm
ancient societies created money in order to have a better way to trade and make a profit out of life, the system works as (essentially) a trust system. we place a value in objects coins, bills, amongst other items though history, and expect others to place the same value on them (specially banks), this way we can trade for things we want, in my beliefs (correct me if I'm wrong) money was also created to help us regulate the system and to make our societies better, how is it that such a good idea could have turned into the fuel for most wars, why is it that humans chose to change good ideas to bad actions?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:39 am
Well money is anything we can trade with. You can trade with sheep for instance even today, if you can find anyone willing to accept them. People used salt, gold, silver, etc as money before.

Money isn't a bad thing..but realize that there has always been a significant lower class in any society historically, and the middle class usually consited of artisians or merchants, (save for China were merchants were frowned upon, and for good reason to because of their examination system).

Money doesn't really fuel wars, when you think about it, it's just paper. or just a coin. Nothing valuable. The two main causes of war are either nationalistic intolerance, lack of resources, or desire for glory/wealth.
Plus, money leads to greed corruption, and even worse things.

Overall money is a good thing...it keeps us going. xp  

Skizio
Crew

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:42 pm
but wealth=money and forevermore resources are where money comes from, out of the ability to trade money for said resources. i know money is not bad and that it keeps us going, but why do we use it as a pretext to start conflicts?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:26 pm
aoi no mizu
but wealth=money and forevermore resources are where money comes from, out of the ability to trade money for said resources. i know money is not bad and that it keeps us going, but why do we use it as a pretext to start conflicts?

Simple mathematical formula:

Money = Power
Power > Human Rights + Peace + Prosperity  

Skizio
Crew

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:50 pm
sad is it not?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:07 pm
yes very  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:16 pm
Actually, if no one minds, I'll bring up a particularly bad deal with today's money system:

Inflation! *cue Jaws theme*

This is what happens when the general price of necessities goes up--like food, clothing, etc...-- but wages do not. So far as I know, that was pretty impossible back when we traded sheep and blankets. If the demand for something went up, people could adapt. If cows were worth more than sheep, well, then, you'd raise a couple of cows. If blankets were in order, you'd run to your loom and work on a couple.

With money, the more you have, the less it's worth. (this works the same with precious metals and gems-less is more) Germany after WWI is a great example, because the German marks were so worthless people used it as wallpaper and stuffing and things like that.

For those living in the US inflation is getting obvious as well as painful, although wages have improved a little. Think about it, though. About four or five years ago the US dollar was worth almost exactly the same as the euro. Now, the euro is worth twice as much, and not because it's own value increased. US dollars are rapidly dropping their value. So what's to be done?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:25 pm
seems like a cycle  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:39 am
funny how we fall into our own traps.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:00 pm
yes it is  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 pm
unlike animals we don't learn, *sigh* shows how smart we are.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:39 pm
when have we ever learned  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Alonso Quijana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:53 pm
In the past, hasn't the government been able to curb inflation (and by the government, I mean certain branches of the gov't such as the Treasury or the Fed. Reserve)? If that's the case, why are these things not being done now?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:58 pm
i'm guesing because too much money is being spend and borrowed?  

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

the grey seer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:38 pm
maybe  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers