Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Garchomp, now the most overused pokemon Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:53 pm
According to the shoddy statistics for February, the top 3 most used pokemon are Garchomp, Gengar, and Blissey (in that order)

This is very ineresting, because for a long time Blissey was the most OU, with Garchomp very close behind. Gengar was always close by in the top 5.

So, does this mean that we'll be seeing less defense and more offense in teams?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:27 pm
Less offense and more offense?

I think Smogon's "Garchomp, the most broken pokemon is OU" thread is a big result in this. A lot of people have been pushing for it to become Uber, so more people are using it because they realize how broken it is.  

Jonnnn

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:30 pm
Fixed. I meant less defense and more offense  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:25 pm
Predictable. If you haven't noticed, Mamoswine has enjoyed a huge boost in use as Garchomp grows ever more popular. It looks like Aerodactyl's fallen out of common use, though, probably because Garchomp does it better.
What I really want to know is how Lucario made 6th, besides its incredible versatility and general sweeping power...  

darkslasherX
Crew

16bit-Plumber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:21 am
the fact that blissey is up mean that defense is being used more
..i mean it wasnt even on the chart before  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:56 am
User Image
I was bored

Chomp isn't broken just Ice Shard it or any Ice Attack. Really just hope you take the attack.
So I got this D: User Image

Kunx990

Shigeru the Hero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:01 am
16bit-Plumber
the fact that blissey is up mean that defense is being used more
..i mean it wasnt even on the chart before

Wait what?

Blissey has always been top 3 and most of the time being the 1st.

Regarding Garchomp, even I have difficulty taking them down, because it is difficult to determine its type without losing a Pokemon. Kinda like Salamence, except Sand Veil pisses you off more than Intimidate.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:50 am
Even though making a counter team is not the best idea in D/P, you kinda have to have a Garchomp counter or you'll lose practically any game with a Garchomp in it (unless it's your Garchomp). Even then, with Sand Veil, your Ice Beam or Ice Shard can still miss 1 in 4 times in a sandstorm.

One more observation I've made: this metagame shift could be due to Wobbuffet, since Garchomp and Gengar can easily defeat it with powerful STAB moves, and Blissey doesn't do well against Wobbuffet at all. Then again, I detest Wobbuffet in OU.  

darkslasherX
Crew

16bit-Plumber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:35 am
darkslasherX
Even though making a counter team is not the best idea in D/P, you kinda have to have a Garchomp counter or you'll lose practically any game with a Garchomp in it (unless it's your Garchomp). Even then, with Sand Veil, your Ice Beam or Ice Shard can still miss 1 in 4 times in a sandstorm.

One more observation I've made: this metagame shift could be due to Wobbuffet, since Garchomp and Gengar can easily defeat it with powerful STAB moves, and Blissey doesn't do well against Wobbuffet at all. Then again, I detest Wobbuffet in OU.
My team is prue counter...kinda  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:06 pm
Is it really that overused? Most people i've encountered rarely use a Garchomp  

paleHorse91

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:00 pm
paleHorse91
Is it really that overused? Most people i've encountered rarely use a Garchomp

Yes. Yes it is. As is blissey. I'm guessing you don't play that many competitive level players (on sites like smogon, or games like shoddy) no offense.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Garchomp is a real pain in the a** to kill.

But I got the best counter for him heart

I just love how Smogon created a pokemon to just counter Garchomp, it makes me laugh in the inside heart  

Pachulo

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:19 am
ninja I've seen about 50 matches on Utube, and yeah... the most common pokemon I've seen (asides from Ubers) were Garchomp, Charizard, and Gengar. Nobody seemed to use Blissey, but everyone had a Blissey counter.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:43 am
pathetic_negi_magician
ninja I've seen about 50 matches on Utube, and yeah... the most common pokemon I've seen (asides from Ubers) were Garchomp, Charizard, and Gengar. Nobody seemed to use Blissey, but everyone had a Blissey counter.

Charizard?

confused  

Jonnnn

Chuuyya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:52 pm
Garchomp, Charizard, Gengar, Blissey and Tyranitar will fall to a two pokemon team? Yes Blastoise and EV SPEED Alakazam depending on how you use them... Yes this is a team I use.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff