Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Patron God/ess? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Clair Fay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:58 pm
I don't know about everyone else here, but the way I've been "raised" as a witch involved everyone having a patron god/ess. Because I'm a curious little witchling I would just like to know what everyone else's patron god/ess was and maybe a few details as to how you found out.

To break the glass, I'll tell you my short story. Basically, my patron goddess is Hecate. (Allows pause.) Yeah, she tried to convince me for two weeks that she was my patron goddess. She sent a lot of "Hey, lookie here!" signs and, well, I thought that there could be no way. She seemed, still does, too important to everyone to be my patron goddess. And by "Hey, lookie here!" signs, I mean, the number three followed me around, and suddenly, everyone became obsessed with willows (which are attributed to Hecate). The big sign, and this came after a week of her trying to convince me, was the fact that her name started appearing EVERYWHERE. Suddenly, every other paragraph of speech, it seemed, was involving Hecate. Finally, I did a meditation on the World Tree and I tried jumping over the small hole to the Underworld and my foot must have gotten caught on the edge, because I was pulled down. There she told me flat out, "I am Hecate and I am your patron goddess."

What's all of your stories? ^-^  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:20 pm
well by random happenstance my patron goddess is hecate as well... wierd huh? i found her, or i guess she found me at the crossroads. Quite literally i was having to do a lot of walking around and this brought me to a lot of cross roads and at one of them she kind of appeared to me and said rely on me for i am your patron and my patron god is Cernunnos and he just kind of popped into my conciousness and showed me the world through his eyes, leaves became paintings, the sound of laughter became orchestras it was amazing.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

[LadyRaven]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:42 pm
My Matron Goddess is Brid. She is the goddess of many things, not the least of which is poetry. I had the pleasure of meeting her once, many many years ago when I was working on a creative binge. I was up for the weekend writing and going through paper left and right, and in some hazy kind of state of being, I just kind of met and talked with her. I turn to her always when I work on a new piece, and find I never lack for inspiration. She's been good to me, and taught me many things, and helped me find the words when I thought there were none.

My Patron Deity seems to be Apollo, as a god of Music, Medicine and Prophecy... he has made his presence known in my life numerous times, and I find that As with Brid, when I turn to him for help, I always seem to find the answers I need.

Sorry there was no earth-shattering revelation in my stories, but I suppose some of us just have subtle deities. LOL.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:04 pm
I seem to have two for each... don't know why, it's always been that way.

Point of note: Matron is generally used for females, Patron for Males. Paternal, Maternal... that kind of thing. Just and FYI. (Edit: Damn Raven beat me to it.)

Matron Godesses: First, there was Inanna. She was not subtle about it at all. I was completely blindsided. When in high school, I still hadn't found my pagan nom de plume, as it were. However, I started signing all my artwork with a symbol. A crescent moon with a star cradled in it. This went on for a long time, and I didn't know why.. it was just something I did. My senior year of high school, I had a traditioned witch tell me my goddess had the symbol of the crescent moon and a star, which was why I used it. Research and about six months of unconscious resistance later, I turned to some more experienced pagans for advice, and was told to accept the facts. Inanna, Sumerian Goddess, She who died and was reborn... she who was tied to my Phoenix totem... was my Goddess. I should point out, one of Inanna's symbols is the cresent moon with the star (and why my Pagan name is Phoenix MoonStar)
Second on the scene, and not to be outdone, was Bast. This shoud be obvious to anyone who knows me.. as I love cats and cannot stand seeing them suffer in anyway. I was actually told by a psychic at a metaphysical fair that I had been one of the priestesses in the the temple of Bast in a previous life. The more I looked into Bast, the more things made sense. She was (by some accounts) a rare Goddess in her day, as some depictions of her showed her as fair skinned, with blue eyes and blonde hair (not usual for Egyptians). She was also said (again, by some accounts) to be a consort to both Gods and Goddesses. In layman's terms.. She was Bisexual. And... I have a habit of feeling very overwhelmed with emotions when I see images of her, be they pictures, statues, or carvings.

As for the Patrons, I again have two... but they aren't as different as Bast and Inanna... And... I'm almost afraid to mention them, because it's going to make me sound emo. Hades and Arawn. *hangs head* I know.. I know... two death gods. It isn't my fault. I have a very unique relationship to them, bordering on almost comical (and that has made several people raise an eyebrow more than once). Both of them just kind of showed up... Back near the end of my senior year of high school.. and I can't seem to get rid of them. But conversations with them are interesting, and they've kinda won me over, over the years... Persistence is putting it mildly, I kind feel like the girl at the bar who's been plied with one too many drinks.

rofl  

PhoenixMoonStar

Clair Fay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:15 pm
WitchyBoy
well by random happenstance my patron goddess is hecate as well... wierd huh? i found her, or i guess she found me at the crossroads. Quite literally i was having to do a lot of walking around and this brought me to a lot of cross roads and at one of them she kind of appeared to me and said rely on me for i am your patron and my patron god is Cernunnos and he just kind of popped into my conciousness and showed me the world through his eyes, leaves became paintings, the sound of laughter became orchestras it was amazing.

O_o Wow. That is strange. And we just keep bumping into each other, too. xd

Thank you both Raven and Pheonix. I'll correct that straight away. ^-^  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:19 pm
PhoenixMoonStar
I seem to have two for each... don't know why, it's always been that way.

Point of note: Matron is generally used for females, Patron for Males. Paternal, Maternal... that kind of thing. Just and FYI. (Edit: Damn Raven beat me to it.)

Matron Godesses: First, there was Inanna. She was not subtle about it at all. I was completely blindsided. When in high school, I still hadn't found my pagan nom de plume, as it were. However, I started signing all my artwork with a symbol. A crescent moon with a star cradled in it. This went on for a long time, and I didn't know why.. it was just something I did. My senior year of high school, I had a traditioned witch tell me my goddess had the symbol of the crescent moon and a star, which was why I used it. Research and about six months of unconscious resistance later, I turned to some more experienced pagans for advice, and was told to accept the facts. Inanna, Sumerian Goddess, She who died and was reborn... she who was tied to my Phoenix totem... was my Goddess. I should point out, one of Inanna's symbols is the cresent moon with the star (and why my Pagan name is Phoenix MoonStar)
Second on the scene, and not to be outdone, was Bast. This shoud be obvious to anyone who knows me.. as I love cats and cannot stand seeing them suffer in anyway. I was actually told by a psychic at a metaphysical fair that I had been one of the priestesses in the the temple of Bast in a previous life. The more I looked into Bast, the more things made sense. She was (by some accounts) a rare Goddess in her day, as some depictions of her showed her as fair skinned, with blue eyes and blonde hair (not usual for Egyptians). She was also said (again, by some accounts) to be a consort to both Gods and Goddesses. In layman's terms.. She was Bisexual. And... I have a habit of feeling very overwhelmed with emotions when I see images of her, be they pictures, statues, or carvings.

As for the Patrons, I again have two... but they aren't as different as Bast and Inanna... And... I'm almost afraid to mention them, because it's going to make me sound emo. Hades and Arawn. *hangs head* I know.. I know... two death gods. It isn't my fault. I have a very unique relationship to them, bordering on almost comical (and that has made several people raise an eyebrow more than once). Both of them just kind of showed up... Back near the end of my senior year of high school.. and I can't seem to get rid of them. But conversations with them are interesting, and they've kinda won me over, over the years... Persistence is putting it mildly, I kind feel like the girl at the bar who's been plied with one too many drinks.

rofl

thats cool i guess it all depends on the dieties right?
and to Kuriyaki:
perhaps we were meant to be friends in this life time.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:05 pm
As far back as I can remember, I have always had an affinity for Isis. I have read some (recently) on Aset and Kemetic Orthodoxy, but for whatever reason - I feel no connection to her in that form. I do feel a strong connection to Egypt itself, and even though Isis is considered to be her Greek/Roman form - I do know that there were temples to her in Egypt in later "ancient" periods. I believe that this is where my connection to her begins.

Finding "my" God has proven a bit more difficult, and for the most part I have yet to really connect to any one of them. Part of it may be because of the Christian upbringing, and although there are many things that upset me about Christianity in general (and the way its followers have interpreted it), I think part of my brain still equates God with..."God". Although for an eclectic Wiccan, maybe that is ok. (or maybe it's just plain weird blaugh )  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:07 pm
Well, for me, I have always felt a connection with the deitie Shiva. Shiva pure nature and stance just captivate me. When I use a circle, I imagine that Shiva is watching me ready to protect me if any "evil" presence invades my space. I don't know why I have this bond, but I can just feel it.  

Devil_Heart_Cry

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:28 pm
Beatrice_McDumples
Well, for me, I have always felt a connection with the deitie Shiva. Shiva pure nature and stance just captivate me. When I use a circle, I imagine that Shiva is watching me ready to protect me if any "evil" presence invades my space. I don't know why I have this bond, but I can just feel it.

perhaps he is your patron?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:51 pm
i dont know who my matron and patron deities are yet.
i havent tried finding out, either.
i will, eventually.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

Clair Fay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:48 am
xXx kitsy xXx
i will, eventually.

I think that, in your case, you'll simply know instinctively--when you're ready.

Lagaz--
Mayhaps. We'll just have to find out and see. But I'm sure it means something, whether it's one type of bond or another.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:38 pm
maybe so..... I like the whole mystery essence of wicca. Its what first led me to it. blaugh  

Devil_Heart_Cry

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:26 pm
Kuriyaki
xXx kitsy xXx
i will, eventually.

I think that, in your case, you'll simply know instinctively--when you're ready.

Lagaz--
Mayhaps. We'll just have to find out and see. But I'm sure it means something, whether it's one type of bond or another.

Perhaps some sort of bond  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:06 pm
*shrug* Only time and far too many questions will tell. xd

*nods* I was attracted to paganism... Well, I was introduced to it through my friends dabbling in spells. Quite naturally, however, I never believed that there was only one benevolent "God" who created everything and one purely evil force called "Satan". I've always thought that there had to be a God AND Goddess. I've also always thought that "good" and "evil" coexisted and were one and the same while two completely different things. To put it simply, I never believed what Christianity tried to pound into my head.

I have a head of steel! xd  

Clair Fay

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:38 pm
while i have my matron and patron, ive also talked to anubis and dianna so im sure there are other "god factors" out there to affect you.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games