Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I need ideas! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:37 pm
Hello. I need ideas on a good way to use up scraps of fabric from quilts. Both me and my mom like to quilt, but she keeps giving me all her quilt scraps, and I have leftover fabric from the few quilts i've made, and Now I have a large box full of large and small scraps, but i don't know what to do with it all.

i also have a bunh of fuzzy yarn that i cant use, what can i do with that? i have it left over from one of those knitting machines where you thread the yarn and tun the handle and it knits for you, bu the machine broke, so now I have all thi yarn and nothing to do with it. I need ideas as to what to do with all my scrap fabric and fuzzy yarn.

Also, anyone know any good projects you can do with denim, I have a huge pile of worn out blue jeans, and I need to find stuff to make out of them, I'm already making a denim quilt, but I want to know what else I Could make out of them.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:03 pm
A friend of mine makes awsome bags and purses with scrap fabric that is put together with quilting techniques. If I can get a picture of it, I'll post it tomorrow, but I got one made of old jean sracps from her as a gift, and I bought one made from old upholstery samples as a gift for my Mom. They are beautiful and a great way to use up scraps.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:36 pm
YourAzureGoddess
A friend of mine makes awsome bags and purses with scrap fabric that is put together with quilting techniques. If I can get a picture of it, I'll post it tomorrow, but I got one made of old jean sracps from her as a gift, and I bought one made from old upholstery samples as a gift for my Mom. They are beautiful and a great way to use up scraps.

Thanks for the idea, I'll have to try that with some of the larger scraps and some denim.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:38 pm
I made a denim quilt for myself. It has denim on both sides AND filling.

This is a wonderful blanket that if you toss it onto a small child, they won't go anywere ^_^  

Zanthess

1,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100

User_2629207

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:07 am
Rulin' ya universes...

How about trying Tsumami Kanzashi?
Or making eyepatches biggrin Eyepatches are cool.
...since 1992.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:40 pm
A friend of mine patched some of her jeans with scrap fabric, and used ribbons and stuff to embellish them, making her own pair of Hippie Jeans.

Depending on the thickness of the yarn, and if you know how to chain crochet... you could get some pony beads and make some necklaces or bracelets. That same friend of mine does some of those, and they're cute. I think it's just chaining and adding a pony bead every so often. It takes a really small hook and thin yarn though.

Again, depending on the yarn in question, there's a pattern somewhere for you to crochet potholders. I'll have to see if I can find it again, but I'm sure you could look it up too.  

[LadyRaven]

Zanthess

1,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:02 pm
Miss Sushii
Rulin' ya universes...

...since 1992.

Eyepatches are awesome to make for charities. A lot of people that need to use them are sick of the plain beige color. And if I had to wear one, I'd make it colorful, because people are going to look at it anyway!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:26 pm
xd , I found a use for two small scraps of fabric. I'm about to attempt to make a very simple bunny stuffed animal thing.  

Kay-VW

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:27 pm
rofl Well, that so called bunny attempt didn't turn out very good, I still have to add the face yet.

I SHALL CALL IT TEH BUNNY MONSTER! xd I'll have to machine sow it next time, and with a better pattern. Lmfao, it doesn't even really look much like a bunny, except for the face.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:05 pm
gonk Darn it, my cat got into a pile of yarn I had, and now I have one big tangled mess of yarn, it was my nice green yarn too, >.<  

Kay-VW

gryphondreamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:32 pm
sorry about the cat, they love string. smile

you can use the smaller pieces of fabric as stuffing for things you make with the larger one.

you can make really small pillow forms (such as a heart or start) and sew finished stars together to make a garland of sorts. just thinking off the top of my head.

i have a ton of scraps I am going to use--someday--to use as backing for my finished cross stitch projects.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:36 am
It's really great that you want to recycle your scraps, I fully approve.
One thing that I like to do with scraps is to just go at it with scissors and cut them up as small as you can. They make great stuffing, and it takes less of them and is much more ecofriendly than using processed cotton or polyester stuffing.
If your material is exceptionally pretty, bags and small holders (like pencil cases) can be made very easily from leftover fabric.
As for your yarn, well, I would really need to know more about it, but I would say off the top of my head to knit a fluffy scarf. It can be hard to make an item entirely out of novelty yarn, but scarves look great no matter what.

Kingyo~goldfish

Kingyo~goldfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:38 am
Zanthess
Miss Sushii
Rulin' ya universes...

...since 1992.

Eyepatches are awesome to make for charities. A lot of people that need to use them are sick of the plain beige color. And if I had to wear one, I'd make it colorful, because people are going to look at it anyway!

I'd never heard of that!
What a neat idea.
Any links?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:28 pm
Kingyo~goldfish
It's really great that you want to recycle your scraps, I fully approve.
One thing that I like to do with scraps is to just go at it with scissors and cut them up as small as you can. They make great stuffing, and it takes less of them and is much more ecofriendly than using processed cotton or polyester stuffing.
If your material is exceptionally pretty, bags and small holders (like pencil cases) can be made very easily from leftover fabric.
As for your yarn, well, I would really need to know more about it, but I would say off the top of my head to knit a fluffy scarf. It can be hard to make an item entirely out of novelty yarn, but scarves look great no matter what.

Thank you for the idea. I'm already searching for a pattern for some fingerless gloves. I have this really nice velvety green fabric, I want to make something nice out of it; so I am going to make some fingerless gloves with it. I already made a really nice soft pillow out of the largest chunk of it, but i still have a bunch left over, so now I'm going to make some gloves out of it. biggrin Any ideas where i can find a good pattern?  

Kay-VW

gryphondreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:33 pm
hmm...i have tons of patterns for knit and crochet fingerless gloves. i am sure you can take a regular glove pattern and just modify the finger part. i wouldn't be surprised if you could find glove patterns from simplicity.

or you could just outline your arm and hand with extra room for the seams and such. smile  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff