Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Do you ever slip and use "txt-tlk" Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever slipped and used "txt-tlk?"
  Yes, I admit.
  Never!
View Results

Carrielicious!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:23 am
Have you ever accidently slipped and used a "txt-tlk" appreviation, whether it be in an IM, text message, or post on Gaia?

I admit. I've done it. But, I don't do it much. Occasionally, I'll slip and use "u" or something, but that's it.

Discuss: Have you ever accidently used "txt-tlk?"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:40 pm
Accidently, yes. Sometimes when I text the kids at my school, I won't think about it and will type like you as 'u'. I text without looking at the phone, but I still get somewhat agitated with I do it. sweatdrop  

Wylde Style

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:30 am
I actually type more formally when texting. Since I have to press the "1" about nineteen times to get to the apostrophe, I just type out "I am," "I will," etc., because it's quicker than getting to that stupid apostrophe.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:10 am
Well, when I am in a more informal conversation in a chat room, I have found myself slipping in an occasional 'LOL' if I think something is funny. Other than that, I try to keep it to a minimum.  

wolfen26

Conservative Werewolf

6,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Soujiroh Nishikado

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:28 am
Why yes.. Whilst texting.. Despite the fact that my phone has a full qwerty keyboard, I do sometimes when I just get lazy or have to type it fast.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:20 pm
[ ( ' , ') ]

While MSN-ing, I do use 'lol' a lot.
But only when I have nothing to say.
Now, I'm trying to keep my 'lols' at a minimum.

xx ___ camelotto r o s e

soupyeh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:45 am
On my phone there is an option to use Word instead of Abc. It makes typing out my words a lot better. Instead of (God I'm about to type this...) LOL I just write hehe or haha depends. The other day a group of teenagers were making cards for the old people at a nursing home and one girl asked if she can write LOL on the cards! Old People + Text Talk = what does that mean? sheesh I couldn't believe her.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:18 pm
I actually use terrible grammar when playing DotA because if you don't type fast enough, you'd end up dead. I don't really actually use "text-talk". I just use terrible grammar and spelling when playing it, but occasionally I would forget to press a key. Like instead of spelling "what" I might spell it "wat".  

kuro xx mae

Skadi-The-Elf

Ruthless Loiterer

17,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:26 pm
I don't send text messages on phones, so I don't have that problem. And the only times I slip up and use lazyspeak (txt tlk) is when I am telling some knuckle dragging gorilla off when they text talk at me. I find it is not only easier to shorten everything when on a tirade, it also helps me avoid using words that might be too large for their slack jawed brains to understand anyway.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:04 pm
I tend to use lol/omg/wtf/brb/etc semi-frequently, but not in excess. I will never use u/ur/ru/r/2/sum1/ne1/etc unless I'm intentionally mocking someone else who talks like that.  

Mikhalia

pinkpink527

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:02 am
i use wtf, because i don't actually want to "say" the f word. lol
and i use lol when it's really funny, because what's the fun in typing out "i'm laughing out loud over here, you're so funny" yeah try doing that when you're cracking up! i use "omg" just when i'm making fun of someone. and "osm" is the same way. i think the "osm" for awesome is pretty clever, tho, i have to admit. and i use brb often. i have a child, so reaching with one hand when i hear her cry and type out brb [enter] is a lot easier than "be right back". anyway, that's my txttlkin' profile.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:36 am
I hate to admit it, but I do use 'lol', 'g2g' and 'brb' quite a bit. I try to keep it to 'ha ha' and 'gotta go' but it's difficult when you are talking to a friend who constantly uses 'txt-tlk' on AIM and in text messages.
Plus, in text messages it's difficult not to use text talk. It's kinda like...
You just wanna get the text over with so you say, "Wat r u talkin' about?", or somethin'. I dunno...I try to be as literate as possible.
"Tolerate illiteracy, not stupidity."

GreenBeanie94

Roosterofdoom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:11 am
Never slipped...but I did bash my face in immdeiatly after saying "lol"...she forced me to. But I have a kinda laggy keyboard so sometimes it might not catch some letters and I'll accidently send someone something that says "I saw yo lst nigt" Or something like that...  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:08 pm
I don't use txt tlk often. When I'm in a hurry, like when I'm sending a text message in class ( sweatdrop ) I will occasionally leave out apostrophes and such.  

Neko-chan101

Kuo51

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:35 pm
No, I could never do something as terrible as that! xp

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items