Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Nintendo Gaming
Recommended DS games? OWHAT? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:24 pm
In an attempt to start conversation in the guild, because I like taking pictures of my stuff, and that I am going on a trip over the summer and would like some portable games to play, what are your favorite/recommended DS games?

Oh and you can post pictures of your gaming stuffs too.

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:05 pm
I actually thought the top game said "King of Farts" at first -_-;;

Here's my DS collection (in order of when I got them):

Advance Wars: Dual Strike (recommended)
Pokemon Diamond
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (recommended, but not as good as the other ones in my opinion)

It's a rather lengthy collection, eh?

Not as lengthy as my Wii collection! Which consists of.

Super Smash Bros Brawl.

(No kidding, I ended up returning the copy of pokemon battle revolution that I won at the gamestop tournament way back when)  

nitnit
Captain

ravemaster47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:20 pm
FFCC ROF was good, but not great, i suggest advance wars days of ruin, jump ultimate stars, mario kart ds, the world ends with you, brawl, pokemanz, and tetris, it provides hours of excellent gameplay. also, YGO WC 2008 wouldn't be bad either.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:33 pm
Well, let's take a look at what I've got...

Animal Crossing Wild World: More than decent game that will devour an hour of your day, every day...untill you forget about it. It's truly addictive while you are playing it and if you get into the online community, but the repetitive nature of doing the same or similar actions every day kinda makes the game loose its draw on you. Good for casuals, great for completionists, not so great for the in-between.

Etrian Odyssey: Awesome game with a lame story and horrible graphics. So why is it awesome? The game is designed to be hard. Gut-wrenchingly hard. It's a throwback to stat-stacking pc games where the dungeon is an ever expanding grid map, ramping up the difficulty every time you clear a level. This is probably the only game where grinding won't annoy you, mainly because the game forces you to play smart or die fast. Great for RPG fanatics, good for people who like to micro manage, bad for...everyone else. The second in the series should be hitting western shores soon, but this is still worth checking out.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates: Action RPG done right! While I am saddened that the race balance was thrown off, this is still a good game and worth a look if you're a fan of the original. This fun game is short, but the draw is toward the multi-player, (which isn't supported on wi-fi), which is awesome; it reminds me of a GBA game called "Shining Soul II", but with friendly fire. Good for casuals, (what with the 10 hour story), good for a good laugh with friends and family, (which is why I play it), somewhat mixed for fanboys.

Geometry Wars Galexies: One of the best games for a handheld, and at the same time one of the worst. The concept for the handheld version is genious, and adding in the extra stages and the mini-me drone was a stroke of genious. Excellent for casuals. It's flaws lie in the fact that it's simple: you shoot the same enemies, upgrade the same way, follow the same patterns, and so on. However, there's no depth, no real story, no creativity, and no draw past shooting things for 20 minute intervals while you switch your brain to auto-pilot. This is a shoot-em-up^2, this isn't a bad thing; some people are going to get bored with it very fast while others still aren't going to be able to stop playing. Depending on whether you like the genre will determine if you like it, because there's nothing else on display.

Jump Ultimate Stars!: "Smash for the DS". This quote fits, oddly enough; with who-knows how many fighters and refferences to the many characters in the Jump comic universe, the unlockables, frenetic gameplay, and somewhat wacky items make it a fun fan-service to anyone who reads the Jump action manga. Gameplay is fast, fun, and satisfying with a few exceptions; much like many fighters before it, there are characters that stand at a higher tier of power and tend to see more play online and competitively. Seeing the powerful characters and over-powered abilities over and over again seems to make online play nauseating. Good for comic/anime-fans, good for casuals, great for competionists and people who speak the secret digimon language. Bad for anyone with a closed mind, of low intellect, and of short patience.

Ninja Gaiden DS: While not the best looking DS game, it is one of the smoothest. Taking a cue from Phantom Hourglass, the gameplay is almost completely controlled by the stylus save for blocking, (which can also be done by using the stylus). For a western DS game it's hard, but for a Ninja Gaiden it's a bit too easy. Good game to try out, but save your money for something with a bit more play than an online leaderboard.

Pokemon Pearl: ...you're in a pokemon guild, infer your own damn opinion. XP

Star Fox Assault: Thanks to Wal-Mart, you should be albe to get this game for $20, which is nice if Star Fox games are your niche. Single Player alone is worth the original price in my opinion, what with the multiple paths, strategies, and endings. The game boasts multiplayer dog-fighting, which is less exciting as it sounds. Depending on the pilot and ship selected, matches can either end quickly, or take an eternity to finish. Good for fanboys, casual players, and furries, but the game is passable for everyone else.

TLoZelda Phantom Hourglass: Strong game with good gameplay, great graphics, a fitting story, and a fun multiplayer that shines just as brightly as the single player. Thumbs up all around. I really can't think of any reason not to like this game.  

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200

Katrina Blackwater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:45 pm
Games with the Hatter seal of approval:
Worms Open Warfare 2 - Pretty fun, has various solo games so if you don't have anyone to play with its still fun.
Mario & Luigi Partners in time - Mario and Luigi travel back in time and meet up with the baby versions of themselves. Good times to be had by all.
Lunar Knights - If you're a fan of Solboy
Trauma Center - Okay, I'll admit it, I'm not vary far into it. The damn nurse keeps bugging me. But I'm sure it'll get better. I hope. ._.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time/Darkness - I hated rescue team red/blue. I dunno whats so different about this one, but I have a hard time putting it down. Probably because the controls are easier.
Harvest Moon DS: I hope you live in America, because the EU version had some stuff removed. Poker and Black Jack. How sad. And they didn't replace it with something else. Just made all 3 Sprites have Match Up as their game. But its just as glitchy. Oh yes, this is a very glitchy game, but I still love it.
Etrian Odyssey - I liked this game, brought me back to when I used to play .. Might and Magic? I can't recall. xD But it brought me back, thats for sure. Turn Based RPG, First Person Dungeon Explore, almost complete customization. You can have a party of 5 Medics if you want. Not the best idea, but its awesome that you can if you want.

Games I haven't played but am waiting for:
River King: Mystic Valley - This is Animal Crossing + Harvest Moon - some things + more advanced fishing. Its by the people who make Harvest Moon. Its a fishing game, but it looks great. And it should be released today. Unless the pushed the date back without my knowing. XD;;
Summon Night: Twin Age - I loved the Summon Nights games on the GBA, so am anticipating this game. They've changed the combat, but it still loves fun. I hope there is good Multiplayer. June 3rd.
Harvest Moon Isle of Happiness - Yes, I love the Harvest Moon series. This one comes out June 10th, if gamefaqs is to be believed. But heres hoping. ^_^
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard - June 17th, and this baby comes out. I can't wait. I'm expecting big things from this.
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - If you liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, then you'll love this. If you're a FF fan, no doubt you've heard about this from the grape vine. This is said to be released on June 24th. I can't wait. >3<

Honorable Mention:
These are games I'm waiting for, but I consider July the start of summer.
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 - July 1st
Final Fantasy IV - July 22nd  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:51 pm
I want to get The World Ends With You soon and I'll look into Etrian Odyssey and Advance Wars (and other stuff you said).  

Pay Per Cuts

ravemaster47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:03 pm
just beat the world ends with you. well, the main story anyways... i still have a ton of things to do before it's exactly finished.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:59 pm
My reccomendations:

Nintendo DS

Advance Wars days of ruin: Its a great game, as people listed above. Play solo, decently lengthed story mode. Once you've beaten the game, or your just bored, you can build your maps and fit enemies into the map to challenge yourself. Of course theres wifi, with friends, I just reccomend using the fog of war option.

Rondo of Swords: A quite difficult SRPG, with gameplay far better than any fire emblem. The game uses the route maneuver system, skills, magic, and limit breaks, but you'll have to see for yourself. Even minor adjustments make this game great.

TLOZ and the Phantom Hour Glass: This is a given, a pretty long game with challenging puzzles and fights, classic zelda game.

Final Fantasy IV: I don't know how soon you are leaving for your summer trip, but this baby is coming out July 22, and if you can BUY THIS GAME! It takes final fantasy IV, a favorite among the final fantasy's, and gives it the DS remake, and fixes all of the crap that was wrong with final fantasy III (Like the stupid job system is definately gone, thank Jesus) Look it up for several of the details: P.S. if you played the GBA version, and you realized Edward, the bard, was the worst character, thats one of many things they fixed for this third remake.

You'll also wanna get some sort of mario game, such as mario party DS or mario world Ds or something, in addition to your mario kart DS.

PSP Games to get:

Final fantasy VII Crisis Core: This game will last you 3 days to week, depending on how much you play it straight. Incredibly interesting story (moreso if you played the original for PS1) and some of the best graphics on the portable. Fun gameplay, and the oh so awesome showdown with Sephiroth we all want. And two new guys with equally cool swords. Oh and Zack is much more badass the cloud.

Disgaea: Afternoon of darkness: Most people didn't have all of the time required to play the game back on the PS2. Thats why people are more inclined to buy this version, since you can turn the thing off at anytime. This will suck up a minimum of 50 hours (if you play the game straight, without taking extra time to beef up characters,) and hundreds more if you customize your team of characters, and try different options. It can take hours just to finish one dungeon, so good thing the PSP can be turned off at anytime and you can pick up right where you left offf later.

Monster Hunter Freedom 2: A seemingly endless game, where you build your own hunting character and hunt things ranging from small puny dinosaurs to raging dragons. And the occasional dragon-dinosaur hybrid. Seriously though, this game is extremely fun, but difficult. Make sure to upgrade whenever possible!  

Deathguiser

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:24 pm
o_O did you just recommend mario party?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:37 pm
The World Ends with You got a pretty good rating  

paleHorse91

Deathguiser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:33 pm
nitnit
o_O did you just recommend mario party?

Its a time blower offer. I don't actually own it, but I have heard it was decent. From my friends, though...  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:55 pm
Mirri the Sneak
Animal Crossing Wild World: More than decent game that will devour an hour of your day, every day...untill you forget about it. It's truly addictive while you are playing it and if you get into the online community, but the repetitive nature of doing the same or similar actions every day kinda makes the game loose its draw on you. Good for casuals, great for completionists, not so great for the in-between.

Awesome choice.

Quote:
Etrian Odyssey: Awesome game with a lame story and horrible graphics. So why is it awesome? The game is designed to be hard. Gut-wrenchingly hard. It's a throwback to stat-stacking pc games where the dungeon is an ever expanding grid map, ramping up the difficulty every time you clear a level. This is probably the only game where grinding won't annoy you, mainly because the game forces you to play smart or die fast. Great for RPG fanatics, good for people who like to micro manage, bad for...everyone else. The second in the series should be hitting western shores soon, but this is still worth checking out.

F O E!

P.S. Complete lack of the greatness that is Ace Attorney. Get at least the first one.  

Shigeru the Hero

Ten of Hearts

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:07 am
Any of the Castlevania DS games are good. I like the first one better, but Portrait of Ruin was good too.  
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:30 pm
Pokémon time and darkness. It was pretty good. Dialga was hard though.

Bleach: blades of fate: It was decent. Except for the part where Gin does an OVER NINE THOUSAAAAND combo.  

iOath

Shigeru the Hero

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:11 pm
iOath
Pokémon time and darkness. It was pretty good. Dialga was hard though.

Bleach: blades of fate: It was decent. Except for the part where Gin does an OVER NINE THOUSAAAAND combo.

I disagree with both.

EDIT: Actually haven't played the top. I thought the first MD game was being mentioned, which was subpar at best.  
Nintendo Gaming

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff