Guns... in... SPACE... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:32 pm
First quiestion FTW.

If you fired a handgun in space, would the recoil be enough to effectively move you around? Would it be too powerful? Or would there be some weird law of something that discounts the whole idea?

I think this idea came to me from watching Cowboy Bebop. Spike shot a gun (Jericho 941, I believe, but I haven't seen the episode in a while) while in space to move himself around in this such way. Never thought of asking about it, though.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:26 pm
ArmasTermin
First quiestion FTW.

If you fired a handgun in space, would the recoil be enough to effectively move you around? Would it be too powerful? Or would there be some weird law of something that discounts the whole idea?

I think this idea came to me from watching Cowboy Bebop. Spike shot a gun (Jericho 941, I believe, but I haven't seen the episode in a while) while in space to move himself around in this such way. Never thought of asking about it, though.
I doubt it would give much push, unless it was a very large gun.  

Isitcanbemuletiemnao

tokarov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:31 am
its all physics......firstly the bullet would leave and travel....and keep going and going and going until acted upon by an outside force

as for making you the individual fly back, i doubt it, the recoil would have to be far greater than that to move a mass so large, it will move you probably, but not very much and nothing you couldnt control with your wrist, and with the absence of gravity i dont think it would be difficult

my question is would the bullet even fire, seeing as how space is ******** COLD the metal my act funny, also since there is no O2 in space, it cant burn, possibly

im not sure on this just a theory....im surprised nasa has not done any testing on this (or have they)  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:53 pm
tokarov
its all physics......firstly the bullet would leave and travel....and keep going and going and going until acted upon by an outside force

as for making you the individual fly back, i doubt it, the recoil would have to be far greater than that to move a mass so large, it will move you probably, but not very much and nothing you couldnt control with your wrist, and with the absence of gravity i dont think it would be difficult

my question is would the bullet even fire, seeing as how space is ******** COLD the metal my act funny, also since there is no O2 in space, it cant burn, possibly

im not sure on this just a theory....im surprised nasa has not done any testing on this (or have they)
I don't think you can shoot in deep space, but if you were inside a bulletproof spacecraft, you could. This was the reason that gyrojets kicked a**. Solid rockets, they'd fire in space, underwater... anywhere.  

Isitcanbemuletiemnao

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:29 pm
I posted an article excerpt two months or so ago about the Russian Salyut 3 Almaz orbital platform where they tested firing a 23mm Nudelmann aircraft cannon for anti-satellite purposes. Their claim is they shot up at least one test object in 1974.

So you can shoot things in space if you have enough money and technology.

My money would be on an astronaut being pushed fairly far if he or she fired a pistol like a Colt .45 outside of the effects of gravity.  
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:27 pm
ArmasTermin
First quiestion FTW.

Be an example to your men,
in your duty and in private life. Never spare yourself,
and let the troops see that you don't in your endurance
of fatigue and privation.

I read the question and I instantly thought of that episode (heavy metal queen).

The concept is plausible. Anything in motion remains in motion unless effected by an outside force and everything at rest remains at rest unless affected by an outside force. In space there is no wind, no gravity, pretty much nothing else so the recoil will move you. Sadly though in a realistic point of view the vacuum of space would have killed poor spike. D=

Always be tactful and well-mannered and teach your
subordinates to do the same. Avoid excessive
sharpness or harshness of voice, which usually
indicates the man who has shortcomings of his own to hide.

Rommel_Desert_Fox

Rommel_Desert_Fox

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:28 pm
tokarov

In space there is no wind or gravity so you're essentially weightless. It could very well work.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:17 am
Isitcanbemuletiemnao
tokarov

I don't think you can shoot in deep space, but if you were inside a bulletproof spacecraft, you could. This was the reason that gyrojets kicked a**. Solid rockets, they'd fire in space, underwater... anywhere.
why not? assuming you could fire the weapon without problem, then the projectile would continue to move unless acted upon by an outside force  

tokarov

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:30 pm
tokarov
Isitcanbemuletiemnao
tokarov

why not? assuming you could fire the weapon without problem, then the projectile would continue to move unless acted upon by an outside force
Not sure, but firing a bullet in space leads nowhere. The gyrojets used the same solid booster that the space shuttle used, so they could still move in deep space.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 pm
s**t, how did I miss this topic?

Smokeless powder contains its own oxidants, so it would fire in space and would have a constant speed until it hits an object.

As for the recoil, whatever force is applied to the bullet will be applied to you. Since you have more mass than the bullet, you will just move at a lower speed.  

I am an eggplant
Crew

Rommel_Desert_Fox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:16 pm

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:25 am
User Image  

Crash Maniac

Jarlo Jarlego

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:20 pm
I'm not too sure a bullet would even fire in space. but even so, if you were just floating in space, and you fired a handgun, you'd go spinning into a backflip unitl something came and stopped you. with out gravity, you have nothing to put your feet on, nothing to brace yourself. it's not just your hand that gets affected by the recoil, it's your whole body.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 am
it doesnt matter that there isnt any air, the case creates its own environment. my question is how fast would it go, since there's no air to cause drag, it could go faster, and the vacuum could pull the bullet out quicker. another question is since space is so cold it would cool the barrel, but how would it react with the heat shock of the gases, and what effects would the vacuum itself have on the barrel, the buildup of gases on the inside and the absence thereof on the outside may compromise the structural integrity of the metal, causing it essentially to shatter.
as for blackpowder, it may not be that it would fire at all, the fulminate of mercury would work but theres no air for the flame to travel through, however if the flame could indeed travel to the powder would the powder ignite, and if it did would it fizz or go off?  

Sagakuru

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:54 am
Sagakuru
it doesnt matter that there isnt any air, the case creates its own environment. my question is how fast would it go, since there's no air to cause drag, it could go faster, and the vacuum could pull the bullet out quicker. another question is since space is so cold it would cool the barrel, but how would it react with the heat shock of the gases, and what effects would the vacuum itself have on the barrel, the buildup of gases on the inside and the absence thereof on the outside may compromise the structural integrity of the metal, causing it essentially to shatter.
as for blackpowder, it may not be that it would fire at all, the fulminate of mercury would work but theres no air for the flame to travel through, however if the flame could indeed travel to the powder would the powder ignite, and if it did would it fizz or go off?
On the contrary, space would FAIL to cool a gun. Think about it, with no medium to cool, it can't give off excess heat by convection or conduction. It would have to radiate it. It would have to get red-hot before it could get up a decent radiative cooling, and by then your gun is long past ruined.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff