Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply .:. Shadows of Africa .:.
[OOC] Newbie/Oldbie Thread: Questions and Advice Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 44 45 46 47 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mila Farrell
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:40 pm
Last updated 08-09-10 by DFA; New banner and info.
User Image

Do you have a question or want some tips for surviving in SoA? Feel free to post here with your queries and the oldbies of our shop (those wonderful people that have been here for years and know everything there is to know) will try their best to give you answers! Questions and advice can be anything: how the shop works, RP advice, etc.

If you are an oldbie and would like to help answer questions or give people tips, please feel free to post here. If you're unsure of an answer, please refrain from posting - we don't want to confuse people anymore than they already are. Also, if you know the rules well, have been with us for awhile, and wouldn't mind people contacting you via AIM/PM with questions, please post your name and how people may contact you.

Warning: The answers given here by anyone except Meepfur may not be accurate, as the owners may not be responding to this thread. The purpose of this thread is to give newbies a place to post questions where they are not ignored or missed like they sometimes are in the quickly moving main thread. If you have a particular question that can't be answered here or you're unsure of the accuracy of the answers you're getting, you should PM the mule (Mkodi) with your question.

NOTE: In-depth questions, which have no posted shop rule/guideline/regulation, do not belong in this thread.

If you've been part of the SoA community for a while, know the general 'how' things go, and have a question you can't find an answer for... then it should go to the mule, not here. We can't foresee every development the shop will take and often questions from 'Oldbies' are things we haven't considered before and need staff deliberation to answer. Questions in this thread are, again, of the general type that anyone can answer, NOT specific ones the staff needs to rule on.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:53 pm
Well i only have one question~ can fmiliars star there own "herd"? 8D; -Wanted to make a pride specifically for waterbucks... but others can join too?-  

GallusDomesticus

Desirable Sex Symbol

Tisiphone

Feline Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:54 pm
There hasn't been a familiar group just yet, but I think I remember either Meep or Mila saying that it was allowed/just hasn't happened.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:23 pm
A few tips for newbies to RP like pros

-If you're the first post, try to include a little information about the scene/time of day for the next person. As in, "The sun was high when Nzinga stalked through the tall dry grass, looking for a meal." Africa is big big place, and there are a lot of different kinds of environment you can be in. Don't forget though, that it is mostly a dry Savannah with some areas of trees or rivers. Only in certain pridal areas are there dramatic landscapes like tropical forests or deserts.

-Give the next person to RP a little material to work with. Don't just scribble off two lines and leave it at that. Try to give as much as you can, and usually that will help the other person creatively think up a response. Also, give the next person something to respond to. Have your character ask their character a question, for example.

-It's also pretty common to start out an RP with a character going hunting; if you don't know how to start, that's a good safe scenario. Every predator in Africa has to eat sometime, right? You can always take the RP somewhere else after that.

-Don't forget to use your character's name in an RP post! Seems obvious, but I've rped with people who haven't and I can never remember their character's name. SoA names are often hard to spell and hard to remember, so please help the other person out by using their name at least once in every post.

-Don't assume that your character can read minds. Often a person will directly give a lot of information away about their character's state of mind, but the character might not be wearing their heart on their sleeve in their actions. So if someone says,

"Banjoko was restless this morning. Where was Amani? She was late, and he wasn't happy about it. He paced back and forth, his tail twitching, wondering what was keeping her."

any character that approaches him right now doesn't know that he's worried about Amani, they just know that he is pacing and maybe he looks anxious. Your character shouldn't know about anything that isn't described in another character's words or actions. This is just a broad example of something I've seen happen from time to time.

-It really helps to post picture of the SoA you're RPing the first time you RP that character with a new person. There are a lot of SoA and it's hard to match names with faces. Don't assume we know anything about your character, even the gender or age.

In the same way, if you post a picture, you don't need to describe your SoA in-text. As in, "Through the trees stalked a small green-and-gold leopard with orange stripes and purple eyes." It's basically redundant.

You CAN say, though, "The blue-eyed lioness glared at her prey." Things like that are helpful so that you aren't constantly repeating your SoA's name or "he/she" all the time.

-Your character does not know someone else's name without being told what it is. We know that you, the player, probably knows the other SoA's name, but ICly, they have to be introduced first. So don't forget introductions when your SoA is meeting someone new =)

-Try to keep your character's actions realistic. Almost everyone here RPs their SoA acting as close as real animals act - with of course the ability to speak, think and feel like a human. You might not want to have your lion scratch his head in confusion: not only would it be hard for him to reach his head with his paws, but it also doesn't make sense for a lion to scratch anyplace unless he has an itch or something.

(Hopefully these are helpful?)

Lisirra

Ivory_Feld

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:45 pm
Are perma Gods any cheaper? I assumed the higher prices for the younger the God was due to the fact it would cost a person extra cause they'd be growing.

I could have sworn I asked if there was perma Gods to begin with and got a yes, but if I'm asking about something that doesn't get done, please lemme know? sweatdrop

I'm looking to get a perma adolescent Goddess. If you do perma/non-growing (and obviously non-breedable; cause she's not adult & never would be) how much would a perma adolescent be?

And one last question. Do Gods come with wings & some edits included or do those cost extra (or have to get items separate from an item shop.)  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:50 pm
Gods and Goddesses can be permanently frozen into a certain stage usually if they are cursed, though I do not believe that gods or goddesses are cheaper if they do not grow, I think its the same price (though I could be wrong).

Oh and so you know adolescents, of Gods/Goddeses as well as other species can breed but will have smaller litters, :]

On the custom page there are prices there, though again, perma-gods/goddeses I don't think have a price difference, though I'm not positive.

Gods and Goddesses can be with or without wings, edits do not cost extra for they are included in the price, and you can choose them, you can get items with your custom you don't necessarily need to get them from the shops, that is unless you want to add items on later.

:] Hope that helps some <3

DragonsRage24

Jiraiyah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:15 pm
I have a hard time figuring out all the different linearts...

What lineart is this ? It so cute D:!!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:23 pm
Adult male leopon (lion x leopard hyrid) 3nodding  

Successful Edit

Quickbeamed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:25 pm
Ivory_Feld
Are perma Gods any cheaper? I assumed the higher prices for the younger the God was due to the fact it would cost a person extra cause they'd be growing.

I could have sworn I asked if there was perma Gods to begin with and got a yes, but if I'm asking about something that doesn't get done, please lemme know? sweatdrop

I'm looking to get a perma adolescent Goddess. If you do perma/non-growing (and obviously non-breedable; cause she's not adult & never would be) how much would a perma adolescent be?

And one last question. Do Gods come with wings & some edits included or do those cost extra (or have to get items separate from an item shop.)

I believe the owner of Wanderlust (Zee Oddwyn, perhaps?) paid the price for an adult god because her adol god is a perma-adol, and therefore does not have extra stages. I recall seeing the question and seeing Mila say that since it would not grow, it would only be 800k.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:34 pm
The outlines to the lineart of most SoA creatures can be found here.
I'm not sure often it is updated, but it's a good place to start. :3

Dr_jelly

Lisirra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:33 pm
Ivory_Feld

Just so you know, adolescents can breed in SoA, they just have 1/2 the regular number of offspring.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:42 pm
Would a pocket watch be out of the question in the SOA world? (Not one that would work, but as a necklace ornament)

Also, I encountered that some colorists feel they are unable to do certain coloring because they feel that they wouldn't do the image any justice. (Which I can see and highly respect the level of quality this thread/guild gives.) How would you know if a colorist would be able to do a quest you have in mind so that when slots do open, you aren't applying for a slot that the artist could not do and thus taking up their time and a space for someone else to use?

MoonKitsune

Romantic Exhibitionist

Manda

Skilled Explorer

8,700 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:07 pm
To second Moon, I'd like to know that too~ XD

I know it would probably be annoying to the colorists to get tons of PMs asking whether or not they could do this or that SoA...

Hm. What about a thread in the guild maybe to get "stamps of approval" or something? *ponder*  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:34 pm
I have a question :]
Could you get hybrids through customs? Or could you only get them through breedings?

Coal`

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:09 pm
Hybrids are through breeding only.  
.:. Shadows of Africa .:.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 44 45 46 47 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items