Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Archives
The New Promised Land Times Issue 1 Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:04 pm
The New Promised Land Times

Issue 1  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:06 pm
What's Going On in the Guild this week? by nitnit

Welcome! This is the new guild newspaper, and hopefully will be much better than our old attempts. Anyone can submit anything, and I ask that all crew members submit at least 2 articles per month.

In this section, I'll let you guys know what's going on in the guild this week!

Sunday, May 4th: Official Promised Land Brawl Tournament sign ups

Thursday, May 7thFriday, May 8th: Darkslasher X has an essay due

Friday, May 9th - Sunday May 11th: All designers of the Promised Land Duel Cards meet and srsly work on the game

Sometime Later This week

Nitnit opens up the Music/Other Media Subforum, and the Articles subforum

All Week:

- Ravemaster and Pachulo's Gym "campaign" is recruiting more gym leaders!
- Recruitment Drive! Get all your friends in here!
- Moar Activity! Let's all post more, and try to get things more exciting around here

Also, be sure to check out the RP going on in the open RP subforum it's so awesome that anyone can play with any rules!

We're trying to get things more active around here, and with your help we can! If you have any events you're holding, PM me and I'll put them on the list for the next paper.  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:09 pm
By Pay Per Cuts

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Pay Per Cuts: No More Heroes, for the Wii, Review

Synopsis:
This game is by Suda51, the creator of killer7, which was released on the Gamecube a few years back. You play as Travis Touchdown, who wins a lightsaber beam katana, off of an eBay auction, and must now kill the top 10 ranked assassins of the world; to become number one. The story is very fun, random, and nonsensical featuring tons of Kill Bill style bloody violence and swearing (in the American version only, Japan and Europe have black ash instead of blood). Travis is basically an Otaku who loves professional wrestling and lives in a one-bedroom motel, filled with his anime collectibles.

Fighting/Gameplay:
I found the gameplay to be very fun. Hack and slash by pressing A then you swing the wiimote to the indicated direction to perform a cool finishing move. You can also perform wrestling moves and receive power ups where you go Super Saiyan and stuff (srsly). However these power ups are completely random (a slot machine spins after every enemy killed) and I often got it when the room was already cleared of enemies.

The ranked assassin is the boss of every level. The basic principle is dodge, dodge, block, hit them, block, dodge, dodge. Which I found to get tiring. Along with their really high health and only having ONE health pack during the fight (which barely restores any thing at all on the later fights).

City of Santa Destroy:
The city of Santa Destroy is completely free roam before every mission. You can wander around on your motorcycle and do odd jobs, buy clothes to customize Travis, play mini games to increase his stats, etc. The graphics in this sandbox are very, very, bad and I personally wish this part was not in the game at all. The character models are very interesting and cool looking, however the environment itself, during missions and in Santa Destroy, are very dated. Load times before entering EVARY building are also annoying (you can't even walk around in them or anything).

Before every mission you must complete tedious mini games and small time assassinations to raise up enough money to pay an entry fee. Mini games such as picking up coconuts and bringing them to a vendor, pumping gas, picking up trash, and mowing lawns. Small assassinations such as killing every enemy in a room, killing as many enemies without being hit, and killing the leader enemy mixed in a group of enemies. This is another part I could have totally done without. (Or at least make the entry fee for the assassinations lower)

My only verdict is:
A buy if you think you'll enjoy a crazy storyline, with silly and badass bosses, but can stomach the annoying overworld and dated graphics.
If I had to score it: 71.4234/100

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Pay Per Cuts: Bully: Scholarship Edition, for the Xbox 360 and the Wii (also on the PS2), Review

Synopsis:
Bully: Scholarship Edition is a port from the PS2. Scholarship on the Wii features motion controls (obviously) while the 360 version has updated textures (I played the 360 version). It also has new missions, 4 new classes, 2-player mini games and added clothes.

What I usually say to explain the game to friends is that it's like Grand Theft Auto, but in a school setting. You play as Jimmy Hopkins a new student to Bullworth Academy, a tough kid, expelled from every other school he's been to, who doesn't really fit in. The game is split into 5 chapters and as you progress you will gain and loose respect from each clique in school, the nerds, jocks, preps, greasers, bullies, and townies (kids that don't go the school). You meet another student who is basically insane and wants to take over the school, while having an ulterior motive. Soon you yourself become the ruler of the school, but being a leader is harder then it looks. Your character, Jimmy, is not exactly a bully, he is more or less trying to liberate the school from bullying, but he does not mind having to resort to violence.

Bullworth/Gameplay:
The town and school of Bullworth is a sandbox environment (like GTA). You have two classes a day. Some of the classes are gym, art, biology, math, english, etc, which are mini games that unlock items and special abilities. The classes are sort of fun, though for stuff like math and english I just used an online guide to get the answers. You can explore the town as well, which is split into three sections that unlock as you progress the chapters. In the town you can go to the carnival, have bike races, buy clothes for your character, do errands, and tons of other stuff. Jimmy uses things like fire crackers, eggs, slingshots, and marbles as weapons. You can also make out with girls (guys too, if you're into that kind of thing) to get a health bonus, the equivalent of GTA's hookers.

My only big complaint are the stealth missions you sometimes have to do. The difficulty is also on the easy side.

My only verdict is:
There is a lot to do in Bully and I really enjoyed it. Although, for you 360 owners, with GTA4 out soon you'll probably be playing that, but pick it up after if you enjoy this type of game. Even if you're not picking up GTA4 (parents, no PS3/360, not into it, blah blah) I still highly recommend it.
If I had to score it: 88.1223/100

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:10 pm
Digital Knights Comic

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:17 pm
By Inifnity Trust

User Image

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:19 pm
By Deathguiser:

Thats right Socom lovers....Another SOCOM game is hitting shelves sooner than you think! Except this one is different: Its all online...think Quake wars except for SOCOM. From what I have seen the game looks great: you start off with a marine and a mercenary, both characters of which you can upgrade and customize with gear, weapons, etc.

The Clan system has really been promoted this time around, (great news for thsis guild clan wise) and apparently when you join a clan you unlock addidtional equipment for your character, since teamwork is promoted. The game comes with a bluetooth headset, and it looks sweet.

These guys have really re-worked everything: The visuals look great, the dynamics seem awesome. Apparently, you can roll or throw grenades, even though it sounds like a small feature, it works completely well. Also, sixaxis plays its part here, but suprisingly, it works. Apparently, while behaind cover, you can tilt you control to lean in different direction, even if just slightly.

On the topic of cover, there is no "Stick to things" cover system like in gears of war or rainbow six vegas. Your character may utilize EVERYTHING as cover, nothing it left out, complete with destrucible things like propone tanks and garbage bags.

SCREENS:
User Image
User Image
User Image]

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:50 pm
By Shigeru

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Plot Summary (courtesy of ANN):
The Empire of Britannia has invaded Japan using giant robot weapons called Knightmare Frames. Japan is now referred to as Area 11, and its people the 11's. A Britannian who was living in Japan at the time, Lelouch, vowed to his Japanese friend Suzaku that he'd destroy Britannia. Years later, Lelouch is in high school, but regularly skips out of school to go play chess and gamble on himself. One day, he stumbles on terrorists 11's who've stolen a military secret and is caught by a member of the Britannian task force sent after them, who is Suzaku. As the rest of the squad arrives, Suzaku is shot for disobeying orders, while the military secret, a young girl, gives Lelouch the power of Geass, which makes anyone obey any order. While Suzaku is secretly made the pilot of Britannia's brand new prototype Knightmare, Lancelot, Lelouch becomes the masked Zero to lead the rebellion to destroy Britannia once and for all.

Review:

Overview:
What do you get when you mix Death Note (lawl overpowered protagonist with grudge against world), Eureka Seven (lawl mysterious girl with lots of mechs), CLAMP (wtf long limbs) and Pizza Hut? One of Shigeru's favourite anime evar.

Plot:
I'm going to be really biased in this section because I'm absolutely memorized by the show. The plot moves steadily with enough gasp inspiring twists and turns to keep your attention. One major strength for this series is the surprised filled character design as well as its drama-esque relationships that progresses the plot without turning into a romance. Plot holes are frequent though easily overlooked. 9.5/10

Audio:
This is where the show stops shining. Theme songs are decent (with the OPs gradually getting better). BGM is well suited for scenes, though not spectacular and somewhat repetitive. Voicing (Japanese) often times don't fit the mouths, but is done with enough expression to compensate. Sound effects are expectantly average. 6/10

Visuals:
No significantly revolutionizing artwork here. With CLAMP behind character design, the freakishly long arms and legs, and familiar hairstyles are expected. One thing that should be mentioned about this show is that the fan-service is phenomenally frequent. With risque shower scenes, etc. this show trends alongside the border of nudity with numerous butts and one brief scene of breasts. There are also some uses of unique animation styles, but they are brief and uninspiring. 7.5/10

Conclusion:
Despite its sub-par audio and only-good visual, the show still grabs my attention with its strong plot. But what do I know? I honestly don't know how to write reviews and this is what I can think of after re-watching the 2nd episode.

Total mark: 9/10  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:17 pm
By DarkslasherX

A Greater Brawl
A short story by darkslasherX

Part 1 of 2

Two familiar characters are fighting against each other at Pokemon Stadium, engaged in a furious battle for glory and power.

Ganondorf kneed Sonic in the face, and Sonic retaliated by jumping into the air and spinning rapidly, then shooting straight towards Ganondorf’s head. Ganondorf flinched from the hit, then stepped backwards and launched a speedy kick in Sonic’s direction. Sonic jumped straight up, dodging the kick, and came back down with a kick of his own, which met Ganondorf with full force. His shield, that is.

A shady character stands alone, watching the heated battle from afar, grinning evilly and finishing his evil plot. The shady character, a hooded figure with glowing blue eyes peering out from beneath the black cloak, started walking towards the battlefield after glimpsing at the castle off in the distance behind him.

“Game!”, shouted the announcer. “And the winner is… Sonic!” The crowd cheering wildly, Sonic rejoiced in his victory, then tapped Ganondorf’s trophy body, turning him back into a human. Ganondorf grinned and shook Sonic’s hand, then set off towards another battlefield to hone his skills even more. Mario came out from the crowd and congratulated Sonic on his victory, then the two readied themselves for a battle. The announcer spoke once again, “Ready… GO!” The red and blue clashed on the battlefield, wildly bashing against each other in a fight that was sure to be exciting.

Back at the somewhat familiar-looking castle, a different hooded figure finished his walk up the staircase and walked into a large room with a large monitor and several controls. Grinning evilly once again, the cloaked figure took the controls, changing the view on the monitor to Pokemon Stadium, where Sonic and Mario were battling now. He reached for a lever labeled “Mind Control”, gently nudging it forwards after laying his hand on it. “I hope you will finally recognize me for the true genius I am after this,” spoke the mysterious figure as a red light blinked and a mysterious device issued forward from the castle and toward Pokemon Stadium.

Sonic started to feel a bit tired all of a sudden, and called a break from the fight going on with Mario. “What’s-a goin’ on, Sonic”, asked Mario in his usual falsetto voice, puzzled. “I dunno… I just feel kinda tired”, replied Sonic, just as confused as Mario was. Almost immediately after that, a large metallic missile-shaped device planted itself right into the middle of Pokemon Stadium, then deployed four legs into the ground to anchor itself in. This also had the effect of shutting down all of the lights in the area, since the missile’s anchors hit the main power cable for the arena. The crowd started to shout in uproar, since they had never experienced anything like this before.

Confused and cloaked in the darkness, Sonic and Mario felt weak of mind all of a sudden, then both blacked out.  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:20 pm
By Mazeyelle

ok, so for this week i have 2 things for the paper. the first being some art to get those fellow artists (or those who just love art) inspired to do something!
the first one here was made in photoshop, and the other one on our lovely chat group
User Image
User Image

the second is the featured artist of the week! this week's featured artist is Karuta64, with her wonderful fanfictions X3 check a few of them out =3
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=11728655
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=11728637

i hope that's good enough for this week =3  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:21 pm
By Kunx990

Diamond and Pearl:
One Year Later

April 22, 2007, most of us where waiting in a line wanting the new Pokemon Diamond or Pokemon Pearl games to be released. After seeing what could be bright new pokemon that Japan had for a while was soon to be a great moment. Opening the shrink wrap and ramming the cart into your DS 1 Slot your new adventure began, with your starter of Turtwig, Chimchar, or Piplup.
At first it was based on your likes then later we all learned about IVs, EVs, movepools, and Choice items. It took me about a good week to beat the main game but that’s when the true battles start. After defeating most of the INGAME trainers you where given entrance into the Battle Tower, the game true challenge of insane trainers and difficult tactics to counter.
Sadly that was a walk in the park till you hit real Wifi battling. Such sites as, Serebii.net, Mariland.com, Pojo.com, and Gaia’s GPL Guild where spawning grounds for elite trainers. During the early days of wifi battling most of us where introduced to the effects of Natures, so we bred for natures alone, which was fairly easy. Then we craved more power so we bred for moves. Soon we noticed the Pokemon could have even more stats so we EV trained for weeks on end. Around this times Tyranitar’s where vibrant and 1 was found in at lest every team. Most of the T-Tars had Dragon Dance which would hold more fear in the hearts of millions.
Soon after the advent rise of Garchomp it reined at top for its STAB for Earthquake and for being part Dragon. This brought many stalls and “Anti-Meta” pokemon to combat Garchomp and other OU pokemon that where running rampant such as, Starmie, Snorlax, Swampert, Infernape, Gangar. Of course at this time Pokesav came up and people with a AR DS would be able to hack very convincing pokemon to battle with, but some of them where total failures. At the same time it did something amazing, it leveled the playing field to the point where skill ruled, with some cheap combos and strategies came too.
With the first year over what epic adventures of KOANTO REGION Z!!! would bring?  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:22 pm
By JONNNN

Blade Runner
Directed by Ridley Scott

On first viewing of Blade Runner most people will be left confused and probably a little disappointed. This was not a film made to appeal to a mass market audience, and anyone looking for a generic action film with an obvious climax and finish will be disappointed.

It could be best described as a film set in the future. Power hungry corporations harness control over a mixed race of psudo asian lower class citizens living in a overcrowded Los-Angeles slum. Rick Decard, the main protagonist, is a retired private eye who gets unwillingly hired to hunt down a group of replicants (illegal androids. Immigrants of sorts) who have escaped a lunar colony and arrived on earth to in order to extend their four year limited life span.

Based on the Philip K. d**k novel "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep", there are many existential themes running throughout and many questions purposely left unanswered so the viewer can come to his own conclusion. What is the nature of our existence? What does it mean to be human? Do we fully appreciate life? These are only among the few themes that the original author based his life upon.

Everything about this film is simply amazing. The cinematography is outstanding with every scene amazingly shot. The set and design are also stunning and still sets the standard for which every sci-fi film aspires too, but can be a bit cheesy and strange to the casual viewer. The script is fresh and strangely human, for a SciFi flick. The adaptation from written story to film is arguably the best.

The actors are also cast perfectly. Harrison Ford plays Rick Decard a man troubled by the demons of the past with seemingly no escape from his violent reality. Rutgar Hauer is Roy Batty the replicant leader haunted by his mortality, unable to find a cure. The supporting cast also put in memorable performances.
It gets better with repeat viewings in that you slowly uncover new insights into the character motivations and the heavy use of symbolism. It’s near flawless film and could entertain endless hours of discussion. Watch both the directors cut and voice over editions to fully appreciate this masterpiece. Note, the voice over may be a bit hard to find outside of ebay.  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:25 pm
Rave's Pokemon Battle Review

Rave's Opponent:Straygor

Opponnents team(no joke):
Infernape
Dialga
Giratina
Raikou
Entei
Suicune

Rave's team:
Infernape
Zapdos
Azelf
Gliscor
Weavile
Blessey

START!

zapdos vs. suicune

zapdos uses substitute zapdos hp: 3/4
suicune is swapped for giratina

Zapdos Vs. Giratina

zapdos uses t-bolt the attack is inneffective
giratina's hp is about 85%
giratina used shadow claw zapdos' substitute broke
zapdos used Hidden power [ice] the attack was super effective
girtatina's HP is about 45%
giratina used shadow force
zapdos used substitute hp is about 1/2
and gitatina uses it's shadow force and the substitute breaks.
zapdos uses hidden power[ice] and giratina faints

Zapdos VS Raikou

zapdos uses roost zapdos' hp is now full

raikou used crunch
zapdos' hp is about 80%

zapdos is swapped for gliscor

Gliscor vs raikou

Raikou used thunder the attack was inneffective
gliscor used earthquake and the opponent swapped for suicune

Gliscor vs suicune
gliscors earthquake knocks suicune to about 85%

gliscor is swapped for zapdos

zapdos vs. suicune

suicune used hydro pump
zapdos's hp is about 45%

zapdos used roost and ragaind a bit of hp it's about 70%
suicune is swapped for dialga

zapdos used hidden power [ice] dialga used roar of time
dialga's hp stands at 65%, zapdos's is about 20%

zapdos is uses roost and is restored to about 55%, dialga must recharge.

zapdos is swapped for blissey
and dialga uses earth power
blisseys hp drops to about 90%
blissey uses counter, dialga uses earth power, blissey drops another 10%

blissey uses siesmic toss and dialga's hp 55%

dialga uses roar of time and blissey's hp is about 45%

blissy uses siesmic toss and dialga's hp is dropped to about 15%

dialga must racharge, blissy ragains hp via leftovers

blissey dialga uses earth power
and blissey KO's dialga with siesmic toss.
blissey is still about 55%

the opponent sends out suicune

blissey is swapped for zapdos

suicune uses aurora beam

zapdos's hp is about 30%

zapdos uses thunder bolt, but the suicune was swapped for raikou, so the attack was not verry effective...

zapdos uses roost and ragains hp to clost to 80% and raikou uses thunder and paralyzes zapdos.

zapdos is swapped out for gliscor

gliscor vs. raikou

raikou used thunder and thunder was inneffective, gliscor used stealth rock and raikou was swapped for suicune

blissey is swapped in for gliscor
suicune used aurora beam, the attack did minimal damage to blissey

blissey vs suicune

blissey used siesmic toss, suicune's hp is about 45%
suicune used hydro pump, blissey's hp is about 65%

blissey used siesmic toss again suicune is about 10%
suicune used aurora beam blissey is about 40%
blissey used siesmic toss and KO's suicune

blissey VS. raikou

blissey used counter, raikou uses thunder
counter fails. and blissey is paralyzed. blissey's hp is about 35%

raikou uses thunder again, it knocks blissey to about 25%, blissey uses softboiled and is about 75%

raikou uses crunch and blissey is paralyzed, blissey 's defense fell and her hp is about 65%

raikou uses crunch, blissey is about 45%, blissey uses aromaterapy

blissey's paralysis is cured, as is zapdos'.

raikou uses thunder, and blissey is about 35%, and blissey uses siesmic toss. raikou is at 45%

blissey rises to about 45%

raikou uses thunder, but it misses blissey ko's raikou with a siesmic toss. blissey is about 55% hp now

straygor sends out his last and only hope, an entei.

entei vs blissey

i don't exactly remember what entei used, i was watching something... sorry.... blissey's hp was about 50% so i was suspecting flamethrower.

blissey used siesmic toss and dropped it to about 45%

the Final Turn!

entei used some fire move, it missed, and blissey finished the game with siesmic toss.

end result:

Rave: 6
Straygor: 0

rave's advice: you shouldn't rely on legendaries to win, or ubers for that matter. you should probably EV train and try to obtain a good nature for your pokemon. and your team had a big weakness t o ground. try and use some stat altering moves, it's nrearly impossible to win without them. seek out more battles with people in the pokemon battling thread and learn some tips. some people use different combinations so watch out!

wanna be my next opponent? pm me and we'll schedule a battle.

also, a gym campaign is being built but we need gym leaders. pm me or pachulo for more info.  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:34 pm
Sorry for all the delays, I figured it'd be best to release this on the first week of May to get our synergy going better.  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:45 am
PPC's review reminded me that I need to get No More Heroes.

Infinity's comic is cool, but wasn't funny enough to make me smile.

Deathguiser's review is wtf images for more than 50%.

Shigeru's review is cool.

I don't bother reading fanfics. I mean, really, who reads them?

Mazeyelle's art is impressive, especially the one made in the chat.

Lawl more fanfic.

Jon's review is cool.

Rave's warstory is poorly formatted and boring.  

Shigeru the Hero

Kunx990

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:42 am
Shigeru K
PPC's review reminded me that I need to get No More Heroes.

Infinity's comic is cool, but wasn't funny enough to make me smile.

Deathguiser's review is wtf images for more than 50%.

Shigeru's review is cool.

I don't bother reading fanfics. I mean, really, who reads them?

Mazeyelle's art is impressive, especially the one made in the chat.

Lawl more fanfic.

Jon's review is cool.

Rave's warstory is poorly formatted and boring.
User Image
I was bored

I wrote an article wtf are you saying its a fanfic?
So I got this D: User Image

Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces