So what about your country? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Skaia Beltane

Tiny Wildcat

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:53 am
So, I want to hear about the countries you live in. Things that are true, assumptions that are not, what do you like about the country or do you like it at all. You know, all the fun weird things and some facts maybe. Suprise me!

I know there might be many people from the same places but you can always add something new to the pack.

I'll start mrgreen

I'm from Finland, it's a small country between Sweden and Russia. There are about 5,2 million people living here. Finnish is one of the most difficult languages in the world.

All Finns are not blue eyed and blonde. stare
There are no polar bears or penguins here, and it's not always snowy and cold. Actually last winter we had snow for only one month tops.

We are quite proud people (In a good sense)
Finland is called Land of a Thousand Lakes but there is actually over 3000 lakes in this small country.
And Santa lives here! lol  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:10 am
ok . . . U.S. Mississippi to narrow that down . . . and it's a good bit on the redneck side but the movies over exaggerate(sp?) rednecks . . . they aren't anywhere near as dumb as shows like the blue collar comedy tour makes them out to be . . . some can truly be genius . . . true they tend to be odd and their talking tends to be a bit odd but not too odd . . . but everybody sounds odd to someone from another area that's unfamiliar to the slang used in that area . . . it's true they do like to have camo trucks/SUVs, they do have too many guns and fishing poles, and they also do tend to dip (chewing tobacco) . . . but camo vehicles if done right can actually look decent not great but decent . . . if a redneck lives in the city and has too many guns it can actually be a good thing (especially since our crime rate has been going way up) . . . and the dip thing . . . well that is still a nasty thing no matter how ya look at it . . .  

Razin Frostdrake
Vice Captain

Lady Catalina

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:40 am
I'm in the United States, South Carolina to be exact.

A few facts, eh?

It's not considered hot until its over 95 degrees and you can cook an egg on pavement. (Yes, I've done it.)

We aren't ALL rednecks. But we love redneck jokes. Yes, we say "y'all". We drink sweet tea, not hot tea. (And YES the whole dip thing is disgusting.)

A lot of Southerners are still fighting the Civil War. There are actually flags that say "The South will rise again" when actually the people in the North don't give a sh*t. (Which I think is funny!) Yes, there are many Southerners who are prejudice STILL against Yankees. (And that term is still used to describe northerners. Whatever.)

Football is HUGE here. Babies have football themed mobiles in there cribs for crying out loud.

The United States is seen as a "Christian nation" which is absolutely untrue. Even though "In God we trust" is on our money.

Wait, Santa is in Finland! I'm jealous! But we have Chuck Norris I believe.  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:46 am
Lady Catalina
I'm in the United States, South Carolina to be exact.

A few facts, eh?

It's not considered hot until its over 95 degrees and you can cook an egg on pavement. (Yes, I've done it.)

We aren't ALL rednecks. But we love redneck jokes. Yes, we say "y'all". We drink sweet tea, not hot tea. (And YES the whole dip thing is disgusting.)

A lot of Southerners are still fighting the Civil War. There are actually flags that say "The South will rise again" when actually the people in the North don't give a sh*t. (Which I think is funny!) Yes, there are many Southerners who are prejudice STILL against Yankees. (And that term is still used to describe northerners. Whatever.)

Football is HUGE here. Babies have football themed mobiles in there cribs for crying out loud.

The United States is seen as a "Christian nation" which is absolutely untrue. Even though "In God we trust" is on our money.

Wait, Santa is in Finland! I'm jealous! But we have Chuck Norris I believe.

Yes, we have a place called Korvatunturi. There's Santas village there mrgreen with reindeers and such!  

Skaia Beltane

Tiny Wildcat

Parasox v2

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:18 am
England ^_^

Not sure what to say about it, it rains a lot...
Although at the moment it is ridiculously warm.
We like to complain about the weather a lot...
Most of the stereotypes are a load of rubbish but then most stereotypes are...
We do drink a lot of tea  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:48 am
User Image

I live in Rhode Island in the US.
It's tiny here, and we get tons of tourists where I live.
I can walk downtown to go to the library, to Timmy Ho-Hos, and I pretend to be Mexican and hop the RI/CT border.
whee
I don't think we have any stereotypes.
Koo Koo ca Choo...

Intergalactic StarDust

snookiecookie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:15 am
Psycho Kamikaze Penguin
User Image

I can walk downtown to go to the library, to Timmy Ho-Hos, and I pretend to be Mexican and hop the RI/CT border.
whee
Koo Koo ca Choo...
one of my best friends went to university there  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:21 am
I live in New Orleans, Louisiana in the US...It is hot, humid, and scandalous. We have bugs the size of rodents, everyone drinks, we don't have "southern accents", and it gets so hot in July you have to gasp for air when you go outside. People eat alligator and other strange, but delicious foods. Oh, and nothing is pronounced the way it is spelled.

for example: Tchoupitoulas = chop at oola  

snookiecookie

Amy Obscurite

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:29 am
User ImageI'm from the UK.

A few things to clear up with the stereotypes:

1. Not all of us have those ridiculous "I say, my boy. Quite good show!" accents. I have a fairly generic English accent.
  2. We don't all drink tea and eat crumpets. I, for one can't stand crumpets and will only drink tea when you have at least 10 spoons of sugar in it.
  3. We don't all have bad teeth or hygiene. I'm fairly clean and my teeth are in good shape.
  4. We aren't all rude and thin. I may be very skinny, but I've seen people with at least sixteen rolls of fat on their legs. Also, I always mind my manners. Except when the person is an idiot/jerk.
  5. We aren't all intelligent. We don't hate Americans. We don't all ride bikes everywhere. And for the love of all that is holy, we don't all wear "fitted clothing." I've seen people with their trousers down so far that they are showing their a** cracks.

Yeeeeeeaaaah. Also we're not snobby.

I may really hate my country, but we aren't all like that. Probably because I'm the exception. 3nodding

[/rant]

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:35 am
England- The North to be exact, which the media would have you believe is an entirely different country T _T

-No, not everyone drinks tea, but I am from Yorkshire which is tea-land. So I drink quite a lot of it.

-No, we don't all have the "typical" 'tally ho, what what, pip pip' accents, but man, it is fun putting it on when directing folk from the colonies about London lol

-There's not that many Royalists around nowadays. There's a hell of a lot of apathy towards the Queen and the Royal Family. I for one don't see the point of them, but I do love them and their quaintness.

- My stepdad is american and has the assumption that we are all really rude. We aren't, for the most part.

-London isn't the only place in England, Daphne in Frasier doesn't have a Manchester accent(Neither do her brothers) and there are only a few hundred -true- Cockneys left. They don't sound like d**k Van Dyke.

-We don't all have bad teeth. In fact, I live in an area mainly populated by Americans, and my dentist often comments on how bad their teeth are in comparison to mine 4laugh

-We don't all live in Castles

EDIT>> A couple picked up from Sweet Valley High books Very intellectual reading mateirials...

-England does look a bit like a giant green patchwork quilt, but not when you're 2 minutes from landing in London. Then it just looks like smog and grey.

-Not everyone you meet in London is a member of the Royal Family or rich or famous.

-Not many people can swap between regional accents easily.

-London isnt subject to the thick "Pea Soup" fogs that it used to get. We dont use soft coal anymore, and the clean air act means that its usually clear. allowing for the usual fog, pollution and haze.

-London is rarely covered in thick snow.

- There's not a lot of red phone boxes left now. Their is a lot of art made of them, but not many in use.

One last thing-
(Not looking at any particular recent songs in particular, London Bridge, by Fergie...)
Tower Bridge-
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
London Bridge-
Which I believe is in Arizona now, because someone got confused between the two and thought it would be cool to have the bridge with the towers there....

St Stephens tower
Big Ben

Sorry for the WoT, This is kinda my fortee. I did some tour guide training in London
redface  

Eriwain
Crew

6,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Luke Schmuke

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:25 pm
Psycho Kamikaze Penguin
User Image

whee
Koo Koo ca Choo...
User Image
STOP HOPPING OUR DAMN BORDER, ILLEGAL!

I live in Connecticut. Yes, most of the kids in high school and middle school are spoiled little brats, unfortunately.

Did you know that Fairfield County has the highest rate of teen drug abuse? I'M SO PROUD. C:

I'm not really sure what stereotypes are of us... fill me in? D:

oh and at post above me's pics: OMG. There's some clarification in those pictures O:User Image

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:32 pm
From New York City, US. Currently in Texas.

1. We aren't all ******** dumb asses just because our god damn leader is. ******** rigged politics.

2. We aren't all gun welding crazy people

3. Not all of us are fat.

4. We aren't all stick up our a** republicans who think gays are bad and want to rule the world

God I hate people who think I'm any of the above because I live in America. -_-  

[Zigaroma]

Cattrain

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:56 pm
I am from Kansas City, Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way.

The USA is really a diverse Nation. Any generalization is usually wrong, because there is always good people in every group, and there are always the rotten apples. But we like BBQ in Kansas City... lol  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:02 pm
I was born and raised in New Hampshire US. NH is part of New England and is right next to Vermont. New Hampshire has a crap load of rednecks and wannabe gangsters. I do not fall into ether of those category's. We are a fairly tiny state with 19 miles of coast. Also most people here love baseball and follow the Red Sox and make fun of those who like the Yankees. The average New Hampshire resident has an accent where they do not pronounce their R's so instead of saying Car they say Ca. This accent drives me quite nutty and I am very lucky not to have develop it.

Where I live we have less then 2k residents and my family has lived in this town since it was founded.  

Simming

Eriwain
Crew

6,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:12 pm
Simming
The average New Hampshire resident has an accent where they do not pronounce their R's so instead of saying Car they say Ca. This accent drives me quite nutty and I am very lucky not to have develop it.

Gah, I come from a town called Redcar and people insist on calling it Redca'. I want to punch them>_>  
Gaiaholics Anonymous

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff