Welcome to Gaia! ::

The FIRST Shojo Beat Guild

Back to Guilds

Come visit us at The Shojo Beat Guild and talk about everything the magazine has to offer: Manga, Artists, J-music, and more!!! 

Tags: Shojo, Beat, Magazine, Tankoban, Girls 

Reply .: On No, They Didn't!! :: Things You Don't Like About Shojo Beat :.
I'm tired of spunky heroines Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you prefer?
  spunky
  sensible
  hyperactive
  sassy
  cute
  smart
View Results

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:57 am
can't there be a herione thats a little more sensible and down to earth? stare  
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:37 pm
I most definetly agree sweatdrop  

maple_chan

3,550 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:09 am
Have you noticed that most heroines tend to be brain dead/ xp  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:50 pm
What about in Cheeky Angel....or does he/she not count?
What I really hate is how the heroine's are constantly confused. Like in Cheeky Angel, am I a guy or a girl?
or in Full Moon, he's dead and you guys make me come out of my denial I hate you!....that's not really confusion though, is it? but it's still annoying...
and Nana....the blonde one, is pure annoying
then Ouran High, and Punch!
...Ultra Maniac was pretty good when it cam to female characters...except that one bit in the beginning....
and Boys Over Flowers was pure annoying....I can't stand....her
but I really like Utena...
okay, so I just went through the list of mangas on the first post of the main page and I'm only doing this cuz I'm bored....but I do agree with the beginning statement....  

aSlutburgerNamedSquishy

7,550 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100

maple_chan

3,550 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:16 pm
In Ouran High School Host Club, Haruhi wasn't a dumb, super hyper main character. Actually, she was suprisingly different, although she had no idea that Tamaki liked her.

It would be really nice to see a female who's deep and reflective...maybe in the depressing sort of way, even. I guess what I'm saying is it would be kind of fun to have an anime where the main character is emo.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:40 pm
yeah surprised  

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:01 pm
That's one of the reasons that Beauty Pop is my favorite manga. Kiri is just so indifferent, but really, she's not stupid. I just adore her. :]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:07 am
yeah Kiri is a good example  

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Vampirepenguinlover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:04 pm
I agree and disagree. Yeah, Kiri is an interesting main character. She doesn't meddle into somebody's business and think things through. Unlike some of the other characters in the story....like Narumi, glasses guy, a guy that loves sweets and etc.
But almost every single main character in a manga (mostly shounen) are all careless and stupid. They don't think and just goes what they feel like doing. Some main characters (like Train in Black Cat or D. Gray man) is a bit of a spunky and careless character. But without those kind of characters their would be less problems and the plot of the manga would be...completely boring.

But I also have to agree with you, making these kind of characters can also get boring. The manga becomes easily predictable and the plot need to be more complicated before the reader can get bored of it. Kiri , and Lelouch (code geass) is a very good example of smart and cautious characters that might someday be very popular with some of the shounen viewers.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:03 pm
I think Kiri is a good example of a good character, she doesn't stick her face into everyones face. when characters are jsut so spunky out there it gets annoying sometimes.  

Pandaccino

that_aly82

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:42 am
what really bothers me is that even though they are all spunky they are still totally helpless. if your going to make a spunky character like that then give her strength or brains that go with it instead of making her an extremely helpless heroine.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:30 pm
exactly!  

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100

sandrabang

6,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:32 am
I agree.

List of disgusting main characters:
Haine - Too pure and naiive, always obsessed with guys, loves 2 men ><
Mitsuki - Relies on Eichi, is clingy and too air-headed
Pretty much the main characters of all Arina Tanemura's characters. I see no depth in character and the plot is too sudden and simple. Only redeeming main character in her manga: I would have to say Kusakabe Maron (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)

Who else? Well, there's the hyperactive, too kind, airheads that they call the "heroines". They're supporting the fact that women should be helpless and call for help all the time.

Characters that are fab:
Nana O. [not Hachi]
Kiri Koshiba [Beauty Pop]
Kyoko [Skip Beat]
Haruna (I respect that she's a tomboy) [High School Debut]
and some of the side characters.
[ex] Moko from Skip Beat, Ushio of Shinshi Doumei Cross, Marywhether of Godchild, and those are the names that pop up first in my head xd

Though, I do say, even if the main characters piss me off, I can't stop reading sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:41 am
Both Nana K. and Nana O. are the best leading ladies in a manga.  

Perfect Stranger 3-0

cold2

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:45 pm
I like everyone else like strong sensible characters. I can't stand characters like Tohru from FB (no offense if there r people that like her and if there r i'm sry) she's very dumb (which is different from simple-minded), can't protect herself, and very annoying...there was a part of her i liked which was her tenacity to help them out but other than that she was not a character I favored. I like characters like Kiri from Beauty pop, Kyoko from Skipbeat!, Misaki from Kaicho wa Maid-sama, Eisul from Red Lion etc. I rly wish there r more books about strong girl characters who don't have to rely on a man to help them and they can think for themselves. I don't mean for all the books to be about strong girls b/c then it would be boring but I wish there r more of them tho.  
.: On No, They Didn't!! :: Things You Don't Like About Shojo Beat :.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games