Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
For Those Who Follow An Eclectic Path... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I...
  follow a specific tradition
  consider myself eclectic
View Results

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:36 am
I saw this question posted elsewhere and thought it'd make a great discussion for us since I know quite a few of us are Eclectic:

Quote:
I am interested in hearing from individuals who identify themselves as Eclectic practitioners. What exactly makes up your practice from the standpoint of deities, ceremonies, beliefs, etc. and how did you go about forming it? How do you incorporate new things into your practice as it evolves?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:11 pm
It really just comes to you. Something manifests itself as true, or you read something that really hits home. It's really hard to define what, well, defines your beliefs.

I don't find it very hard to incorporate anything into my daily routine, it just comes naturally. The only reason I've found myself drawn to the Wiccan religion is the slow, meandering river that is life. It all just sorta, comes to you. I'm more of the atheistic Wiccan (though I'm not fully ready to announce myself as a true Wiccan) in that I find that there are great meanings to many symbols.

I know, I'm somewhat rambling, but that's why I can't fasten myself down to a title, you see? Eheh, but I am following a path, and I see it to be the right one.

What makes it really hard, however, is if you mention anything of the sort of being Wiccan, no one takes you seriously. At all.  

Rainbow Holocaust

The gypsy Queen

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:44 pm
I consider myself Eclectic, because ...
1) I’m solitary and must learn from books and research. Because of this I never really had anyone tell me what to be, so i was free to look arownd.
2) Honestly, I haven’t chosen an exact tradition to fallow. Personally I like mixing things together to fit my way of life. (this is why i left the "church", it was chiseled into stone, and I don’t like the idea of having to fallow strict "laws" one might say, to have eternal happiness.)
3) I normally say God and Goddess during practice. Normally I do not say names.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:43 pm
well i take the best from all worlds and combine them into some kind of multi spectrum practice.  

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:43 am
I am an eclectic Pagan because I cannot find what I need spiritually from just one religion, nor can I dedicate myself solely to one pantheon.

My practice is currently a mix of Heathen and Neo-Wiccan beliefs and practices. I imagine that I will incorporate more ideas into my religion as I research other Pagan paths such as Kemet and Hellenismos.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:44 am
Rainbow Holocaust
I'm more of the atheistic Wiccan (though I'm not fully ready to announce myself as a true Wiccan) in that I find that there are great meanings to many symbols.

I know this isn't the place, but I have to ask.... how on earth can one be an atheistic Wiccan? Wicca is duotheistic, and Neo-Wicca is at least duotheistic and can be polytheistic. How can one be an atheist Wiccan?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:54 pm
guild home page
ABOUT DIETIES

Depending upon your point of view, Wicca can be considered a monotheistic, duotheistic, polytheistic, or atheistic religion...

atheistic: Some Wiccans view the God and Goddess as symbols, not living entities. Depending upon which definition of the term "Atheist" that you adopt, these Wiccans may be considered Atheists.

It's definitely an eclectic view point, but apparently it is out there.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_intr.htm  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:25 am
Sure, it's a Pagan idea, but not Neo-Wiccan in my view. There have to be lines in how Neo-Wicca is defined, you know? It's a perfectly acceptable point of view, and it's certainly an idea that fits within Neo-Paganism, but I don't see how it's Wiccan.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:01 am
too2sweet
guild home page
ABOUT DIETIES

Depending upon your point of view, Wicca can be considered a monotheistic, duotheistic, polytheistic, or atheistic religion...

atheistic: Some Wiccans view the God and Goddess as symbols, not living entities. Depending upon which definition of the term "Atheist" that you adopt, these Wiccans may be considered Atheists.

It's definitely an eclectic view point, but apparently it is out there.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_intr.htm

I believe that Deborah Lipp would probably classify that under 'Radical' wicca.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:57 pm
My first introductions to magick actually came from philosophy. The Greek concept of the elements and the Chinese concept of yin and yang just felt right in comparison to the hell-fire and brimstone I learned from church. From there, I just followed my intuition, struggling along the way to find a path.

I claim eclectic Wicca, but I follow more of the intuitive path of the hedge-witches of old. Everything I do, I try to do with intention, following both the old way of magick and Zen Buddhism. In my mind, all comes to one. So I take new ideas and rework them into the concepts I believe. When I call on a higher power, I say "All Source" to combine the ideas that the divine is in everything and that it all springs from one place. To be honest, it is a little complicated, but it seems to work out fine for me. Even my husband liked my idea of an All Source, though I did tell him I got it from Buddhism and Hindu.

Otherwise, my ideas focus on nature and hearth, with a special focus on animals (both real and mythical). There's also a penchant for stories, legends, music, and the like. It's possibly an ancestral link to my Celtic, Germanic, and Cherokee bloodlines. Although, every ancient culture has a history of music and storytelling.

AiRune

hyacinth hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:59 am
I consider myself eclectic because I pull things from different sources and i just go with what feels right at times as well. I'm not one of those who believes that everything has to be on an altar and in the right position for Magick to work. I also typically only say God and Goddess or Lord and Lady instead of the names of deities unless what I am doing is specific enough that I choose to call upon a certain aspect. When I do, I generally use the Celtic pantheon because I am 7/8ths Irish and it just seems most comfortable to me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:27 am
Well i am eclectic, because i am a believer of the old Celtic ways. I choose to call myself a Eclectic Wiccan, because it has the most things alike with what i believe, yet the other influences used in Gardners book, are not really my thing. I have studied books, and found some somewhat more interesting, like herbal knowledge, and old stones and runes. Also i kinda like the whole 'no personal gain' thing, which Gardner unfortunately does not have. I kinda want to follow my own path in my own way, rather then a path that has been set for me by a book. Experience things on my own level,of which i had my share. My beliefs are based on things, yes i do rituals, and i do believe in gods and goddesses, i do use a athame and a besom, i do use a pentacle and i'm grateful for that, that he made that more available to get in these modern times (tho i am a big fan of making things myself) yet i also believe that these things are far much older then the 1950's

to answer the questions:
What exactly makes up your practice from the standpoint of deities, ceremonies, beliefs, etc. ?

Mine are based, on the old Celtic was as mentioned before, tho with 'modern' influences, unfortunately we can not live as we did back then. My dieties, are basically in everything that lives, i feel that everything that has a spirit, or even has a name, is worth to be honored, as would a God or Goddess, i also believe, the God or Goddess lives within you, in your heart. My ceremonies, are usually very simplistic, i mean in a way of not to many conjure this, summon that, invoke him evoke her. I just grab a stick, make a circle, and sweep it with my broom. And i kindly ask, with my heart and soul, what i wanted to reach, and for Her guidance in that, it kinda comes naturally, the words just flow out. Of course i like to give Her something in return like perhaps planting seeds, or caring for the forest.

-and how did you go about forming it?
It comes from the heart is a true feeling you can't explain, it's like embracing the mother goddess, in her full glory.

-How do you incorporate new things into your practice as it evolves?

I think i already answered this part ^_^  

Cariaith

2,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:37 pm
I'm a little of column A and a little of column B
I just take bits from all different religions, beliefs and cultures.
Whatever feels right to me.
Overall i guess i am just some sort of neo-pagan who practices witchcraft and is in love with nature blaugh

Does that make sense??? Im not very good at explaining things (Im a little autistic & dyslexic)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:33 pm
Makes perfect sense to me, though I guess that's because we're similar in a lot of ways.  

AiRune

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:23 pm
Yay for us blaugh blaugh blaugh  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games