Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Surreal Sanctuary*~

Back to Guilds

This guild is a safe haven for the literate of Gaia. It is a hang-out where otakus, writers, readers, artists, and musicians can have fun. 

Tags: anime, roleplay, writer, books, gold 

Reply *♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*
What made you pick up the pen? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When writing your stories, do you primarily use a...
  Laptop(type it up on a computer)?
  Pencil?
  Pen?
  Marker/ Highlighter?
  Crayon/ Colored pencil/ ect.?
  Whatever is in arm's reach?
  A combination or 2 or more of the thing listed.
View Results

Sun Salutation

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:23 am
Okay, I'm a writer and scince you're here, I think it's safe for me to assume that you are too! My questions are...

What (Or who) inspired you to be a writer?

Did you always like writing, or is writing a hobby you picked up later in life?

And what do you write about?  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:41 am
My favorite author, Darren O'Shaughnessy (his pen name is Darren Shan) inspired me to start writing. He is the author of Ayuamarca, Hell's Horizon, and the ever-popular children's horror series The Saga of Darren Shan ( Cirque Du Freak) and The Demonata. His clever plot twists, unique characters, odd metaphores, and balance between humor, action, and horror convicenced me to pick up a pencil and being writing my own stories.

I actually hated writing just until the end of 7th grade. Up until then, I found it pointless and beleived I had no such talent in weaving stories.

I write mostly about vampires and some fictious creautes called 'Magus' I created, but recently I've been poking around in the quantum theory and multipile personality subjects.

Sun Salutation

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:26 pm
Hm...I am really not sure. Ever since I first learned to write, in Elementary School, I have always loved writing. I sort of just...learned how to write, and love it so much. I was always amazed at how a bunch of letters could for so many words, and those words could form a variety of sentences, and paragraphs, and so on and so forth.

Hm...Like the answer to the first question, I have always liked writing.

Well, besides school assignments and essays, I write nonfiction books occasionally (Biographies, Guides/How-to's, Articles). I like writing fantasy, sci-fi, roleplaying (if that counts), adventure, and poetry. I like to write novels, and also short stories and I just started writing fanfictions quite recently. For poetry, I usually write about nature - the weather, animals, things I see in the sky or land, or just...living things. Sometimes though, I write about more of a 'fantasy poem' or a poem about people, or non-nature-related stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:54 pm
Wow! So you're kind of a well-rounded writer then I guess, huh?

I've never looked at letters that way until I started learning a foriegn language, Then I started seeing it all as little building blocks, sort of like biology; Cells, then tissue, organs, organ systems, organisum. I saw that language was the same way; Letters, words, sentences, paragraphs, until it became a story. It's amazing.

Sun Salutation

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:05 pm
Hm...I guess I am pretty well-rounded. sweatdrop I like writing almost everything.

Oh, yes, foreign language is fun. ^_^ It's like learning to read and write all over again! I love letters and words...and sentences and paragraphs... heart  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:17 pm
Tamora Pierce & my friends Rose & Lauren

Actually, I wrote little shorts in class when I was bored because I've liked reading forever. But I didn't seriously start to write until sixth-seventh grade because of my friend Rose, [who writes AMAZING] & I wanted to be as good as her. So I guess it's kinda been a hobby for awhile.

Anything. Everything.
Right now, mostly fanfictions.

Irishroseh
Crew

Aekea Athlete

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:26 am
I started writing fanfictions recently; they're fun. ^_^ I have found that I enjoy writing in the point of Original Characters. And fanpoems, ona general idea, are fun! I've only written two fanpoems though...XD;; Whatever.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:24 pm
I'm not really into Fanfictions, they limit my creativity of a character a lot of the time, so I don't really like them. Though one Fanfiction I would love to write, (If I ever had time) would be the story of To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee from the character Jem's persepctive. Although, That might ultimately destroy the story, because the amazing thing about To Kill A Mockingbird that it is told from Scout's point of veiw.

Sun Salutation

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:34 am
Hm... that's an interesting way to write a fanfiction! I have never considered that. Writing in another perspective is creative! You should do it!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:49 am
Roleplaying =D From there, it just grew and grew.

I liked reading writing, if that counts for anything. But it's something I really got into only a year or two ago...actually, I began roleplay about four years ago, but yeah >.>

Roleplaying (if it still counts) is probably the main one, although it's declining as school piles up.

I have two literary projects on the works though. One, my programming summitive, is a text-based adventure I'm planning to turn into an RPG based on the Yesterhaven map for Dungeon Siege.

My second is my own work, called Vapor Trails. I'll probably begin posting stuff about it here sooner or later. Probably later.

I also wrote a musical based on the Rush song "2112" as well =D and most of the music for it as well.  

Virgil Lifeson
Crew

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:19 am
That's cool! ^_^ I wrote before I roleplayed. XD;; And when I first began roleplaying, I got taught all wrong. XD;; I learned to do it with asterisks: Hi! *walks down the cobblestone streets with lights glittering above, and a lovely breeze swaying tumultuously, lingering in the air*

That's how I used to roleplay... XD;; Like 3 years ago. Until someone said I wasn't literate, and I freaked out because I think of myself as literate... Gack! That's the problem with learning the wrong way. XD;  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:15 am
AAAH IT BURNS!! burning_eyes

I always hated using asterisks to denote action. ALWAYS.

It just looks so...horrible. And it leaves so little room with stuff. You can't say anything about your surroundings. You can't detail what's going on really well. And it looks horribly messy!

crying  

Virgil Lifeson
Crew

SpunkyOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:12 am
OMG, I'm the exact same way! Seriously, I was in the same boat as you both. I learned that was how you were supposed to do it, but at the same time, I hated the way it was. Probably because I was already a writer. I did my best with it, of course I wasn't completely satisfied.

To be honest, that was how I first role played Amelia and Strider. you know, from my story. I was writing before them though, thank you. xD

I started reading fanfiction, and thought it might be fun to try... because I didn't like any of the stories I was reading. xD I've always loved reading, so maybe I had specific tastes thanks to that or something.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:21 pm
Wow. xD And look how far we've all come... wink  

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

kaoru1994

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:24 pm
A lot of things inspired me to start writing. First, there was the author of The Lottery Rose and Across Five Aprils. I forgot her name(I think it's Irene Hunt), but she's a great writer. Then, there were fanfictions and quizzes on Quizilla!(I started out with quizzes, then later moved on to fanfictions). But the more I read, the more I wanted to write and create stories of my own.

I picked up on writing quite a bit later in my life(well, late in my short fourteen years), because I felt silly putting things on paper. I didn't like expressing myself. I was always hidden behind a book or showing off what I knew in class. But when I turned twelve, I said, "Enough of my pent-up crap, I'm putting this down in ink," and now I love writing.

I write aboutall kids of things, from ancient Japan to America five-hundred years from now(well, maybe not the latter, but you get the point). But Ialmost always write fictional stories, and they never seem to finish...

*♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff