Which rifle?
  AR-15
  SKS
  STG-2000
  L-A .357/.30-.30
View Results

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:59 pm
I want to get a rifle sometime and I don't really know which one. My choices are:

AR-15 cause they're just straight-up awesome. Bad because they're so f'ing expensive.

SKS cause they're just neat and also cheap and ammo is readily available. And there's those kits you can buy to make it look tacticool. Bad because they're not extremely acurate (right?)

STG-2000 (AK knockoff) cause with the (D)ykes loving bans, you never know when you won't be able to get one. Bad because I couldn't double it as a semi-long-range rifle like I could the AR. And a somewhat long range is important for me.

Lever-action .357 or .30-.30 cause I like them, they're reliable, and it could be in the same caliber as the revolver I want so two guns = one ammo. Bad because... uh... they're slow to reload?

Thoughts? Calzones? Swear words?  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:35 pm
DPMS has some cheapr ARs but i have heard nothing but good about them.  

Freak_090
Captain

I am an eggplant
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:48 pm
ArmasTermin

AR-15 cause they're just straight-up awesome. And have relatively cheap ammo. ?

xd If $.33 a round is cheap, yeah.

What's your budget?  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:46 pm
... StG 2000.
Because it's an AK clone and it's name is dead sexy.  

OberFeldwebel

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:29 pm
SierraBT
ArmasTermin

AR-15 cause they're just straight-up awesome. And have relatively cheap ammo. ?

xd If $.33 a round is cheap, yeah.

What's your budget?

Oh.

Cheap for rifle ammo?  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:32 pm
Can you get a scope onto a Winchester or Henry rifle (why don't I know the difference between the two?) without those ugly-as-sin rails on top?  

ArmasTermin

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 pm
ArmasTermin
Can you get a scope onto a Winchester or Henry rifle (why don't I know the difference between the two?) without those ugly-as-sin rails on top?

You don't want the expense of a Henry Rifle clone (you would never be able to pay for an original Henry, nor would you want to machine the rifle for a scope).

I had a Marlin .30-30 lever action for about six months. Traded it after getting tired of the heavy recoil vs. performance of the round in the carbine. Had a short scope on screw in rings that had been machined at the factory.

I believe current Winchester lever actions have similar scope mounts that don't involve rails or other bulky mounts.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:55 pm
OberFeldwebel
... StG 2000.
but the name clearly states that its power is not over 9000 get a norinco clone.  

EmpressMotoko

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:10 pm
OberFeldwebel
... StG 2000.

Actually thst was the AK clone I was thinking about. Saw it on AIM Surplus. HAs black polymer parts in stead of plywood.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:56 pm
Freak_090
DPMS has some cheapr ARs but i have heard nothing but good about them.

Since when? I love DPMS.

I'll be picking up a DPMS M4 when i have the money. I really want the "Agency" model but its about 1800.  

Crash Maniac

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 am
EmpressMotoko
OberFeldwebel
... StG 2000.
but the name clearly states that its power is not over 9000 get a norinco clone.

Sturm Gewehr Zwei-TAUSEND!

ArmasTermin
OberFeldwebel
... StG 2000.

Actually thst was the AK clone I was thinking about. Saw it on AIM Surplus. HAs black polymer parts in stead of plywood.

That's another plus.  
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:33 pm
Any other thoughts?  

ArmasTermin

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:53 pm
ArmasTermin
Any other thoughts?

The lever action .357 does have a coolness factor all it's own.
So does the StG-2000.
Frankly I would figure it as a coin toss.

Did you show a picture of the .357 lever action that you're thinking about getting?  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:09 pm
OberFeldwebel
ArmasTermin
Any other thoughts?

The lever action .357 does have a coolness factor all it's own.
So does the StG-2000.
Frankly I would figure it as a coin toss.

Did you show a picture of the .357 lever action that you're thinking about getting?

I'm not entirely sure. It could be any lever-action .357 really.

EDIT:

I do like the looks of this Marlin: http://www.impactguns.com/store/026495142001.html

But an 18" barrel isn't that long. More of a carbine than a rifle. I wanted something a little more long range.

This .30-.30 looks good, too: http://www.impactguns.com/store/026495015107.html

Love the gold trigger.

By the way... many of these have a stud thing you can put on the side of the hammer to work with a scope, but aren't the rifles chambered and cocked by working the lever? You don't have to pull the hammer back by hand for every shot, do you? Because I sure hope not... every Winchester I've ever seen fired with only the work of the lever, but if so, what's the point of a thumb stud?  

ArmasTermin

I am an eggplant
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:55 pm
ArmasTermin

By the way... many of these have a stud thing you can put on the side of the hammer to work with a scope, but aren't the rifles chambered and cocked by working the lever? You don't have to pull the hammer back by hand for every shot, do you? Because I sure hope not... every Winchester I've ever seen fired with only the work of the lever, but if so, what's the point of a thumb stud?

Yep, it's just nice to have the ability to have one in the chamber with the hammer down. The stud is so that you can easily c**k it while a scope is on the rifle and in the way of where your thumb would usually have to be.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff