14,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:55 pm
So, I just got this in my mailbox:

Mod_admlnistrator
Attention Gaia User...
©This is a "Report Maintenance Scanner". 2008 Gaia Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

User Image
Attention User,
We are sorry to inform you that your account has been brought to our attention. Your account has been REPORTED and needs to be investigated for further information. Like any other Gaian Administrator, we don’t normally ask for this information but to clear your report we must. You will be asked a few questions to verify that this is your account. Please fill out the information requested. If you do not fill out the information before you log out, the maintenance will not be able to be complete. If you were offline when you received this message, you have been given 15 minutes to reply to this message as of the time you logged in.

Username:

Password:

Confirm Password:

Email:

Date Of Birth: / /

Once your account has been verified that it is free of any faults, your e-mail provider will be notified. We thank you for your co-operation.

Please do not submit PM reports for swearing, attitude, or issues not covered in the Gaia Online ToS. Additionally, please do not submit this form multiple times, abuse this reporting tool, or spam this form with meaningless information. Thank you for your cooperation.

Your sincerely,

-Gaia Administrator and Help & SUpport Team-
User Image

©REPORT 423.738.435.889.349

Even though they tell you everywhere that a mod will never ask for your username and password, I can kinda see how a newbie might panic and actually send it. The little red highlights on words are a nice touch too xp

Gotten any scam attempts lately?
What were some of the most creative ones you've ever been sent?
Oh look! This person's photobucket account is Lord_D666 =o  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:09 pm
User Image

One had a link leading to a very realistic battle system site. The giveaway was the password slot on it..  

Lucky Charms Pancake
Crew

Cattrain

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:39 pm
Oh, that reminds me. I got one too. Title:Battle system released!

MMO Rpg Network Navigator
You've been waiting for a long time to play our MMO, and your first chance is almost here.

We're getting very close to showing the game to the world, but we need to do extensive testing and tweaking first to make sure it's shipshape and ready for launch. Soon, we'll enter the beta phase, which will let a group of intrepid Gaians play the game for the first time and tell us how to make it more fun. This is one of the most critical stages in the game's development, and the feedback of the Gaia community is the key to making the game as fantastic as it could possibly be.

"WEBSITE CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION - Gaia Battle System"

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:41 am
And here I thought that the words "scammer" and "creative" didn't go well together...

I wish I knew how to make them pay for everything they do. It's their fault my sister has been without her main account for 3 months now... I hope the mods solve the problem quickly! =___=

Blue Aether

Sparkly Dabbler

6,800 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200

Amy Obscurite

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:29 am
Usually, the scammers have the same Photobucket account as their Gaia account, which is pretty funny. Next time I get one of those PMs, I'm going to PM their main. xDD  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:25 am
I haven't had a scam pm in ages but I got an email yesterday askingfor my bank details. It was really badly done, Gaia scammers are more convincing sweatdrop  

Parasox v2

Thrux

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:30 am
Parasox v2
I haven't had a scam pm in ages but I got an email yesterday askingfor my bank details. It was really badly done, Gaia scammers are more convincing sweatdrop

Bank details? Why would someone want that?

Wonderful how this account didn't get a scam account yet. Also, I wonder why they put the admin's avatar? It doesn't make it more realistic.  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:01 am
Roflcopterskates
Parasox v2

Wonderful how this account didn't get a scam account yet. Also, I wonder why they put the admin's avatar? It doesn't make it more realistic.

To steal all my money...  

Parasox v2

Amy Obscurite

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:08 am
Parasox v2
Roflcopterskates
Parasox v2

To steal all my money...
I think I got that with my paypal account a while ago. The e-mail failed though because when I clicked the link it said the page could not be displayed. xDD Anyway, I have like £1 to my name.  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:46 am
Roflcopterskates
Parasox v2

Most people who've been on for a while know the admin. ava doesn't authenticate the PM, but it might intimidate new and young users into sending the info.

@Parasox: That's funny and sad that Gaia scammers are more convincing than RL scammers xd

@Amy: Maybe I should look up Lord_D666... eh, scammmers aren't really worth the retaliation effort.

@Aether: Sorry to hear about your sis' account D: I'd hate to be without my account for 3 months.

@Lucky and Cat: Seems a lot of scammers are trying to take advantage of the Battle MMO craze. Makes me wonder how many people lost their accounts that way.  

Karma v2
Vice Captain

Invisible Exhibitionist

14,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200

lilartichoke

Wheezing Prophet

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:52 am
I've only gotten one scam,
but I feel like my avis aren't all rich up in your face either.
I don't really post a whole lot in the GCD either.

I didn't fall for it (obviously)
BUT...
It totally freaked me out. I instantly deleted it.
Logged out.
Logged back in.
Changed my password.
Logged out and hid in my closet.
hehe.  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:54 am
I've had the top PM alot. Aleast 5 times now! The first time i got it, i was stilll a newbi and had to check in the Q&A that it was a fake  

Kalzonie
Crew

Sparkly Seeker

8,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Razin Frostdrake
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:30 pm
Amy Obscurite
Usually, the scammers have the same Photobucket account as their Gaia account, which is pretty funny. Next time I get one of those PMs, I'm going to PM their main. xDD

that pm blue posted . . . did/dopes have a Gaia account under the same name xd

http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/10543086/

is the fraud's profile . . . apparently a lot of people have had problems with that person . . .

and according to one thread that pulled up . . . that user is no longer using that account, a hacker is . . .  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:59 pm
Thanks for alerting our members Karma :] It is always a help to keep everyone on their toes.
Gaiaholics stick together >: O!  

BlueAltitude
Vice Captain

Parasox v2

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 pm
I think I just got a scam pm. It was just a link, nothing else. No idea what it was, I just deleted it...  
Gaiaholics Anonymous

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff