Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The great 'Ain't' debate. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXgoth_girl12Xx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:39 pm
"Ain't isn't a word!"
That is something my mother, who always brags about being an english major, says to me whenever I use that word. My father says that to me, too.
So, let's settle this once and for all-
Is 'Ain't' a word or is it not?
Ain't stands for 'are not', so you could use it in a sentence and be grammatically correct, right?
Ex-
"No you ain't."
Which translate to-
"No you are not."
Of course, it makes you sound very uneducated.
Or you could use the word 'aren't'.
Ex-
"No you aren't."
Which means the same thing. Also, wouldn't 'Ain't' be in the Oxford English Dictionary?
This is what the dictionary on my computer defines it as-

ain't |ānt| informal
contraction of
• am not; are not; is not : if it ain't broke, don't fix it. [ORIGIN: originally representing London dialect.]
• has not; have not : they ain't got nothing to say. [ORIGIN: from dialect hain't.]
USAGE The use of ain't was widespread in the 18th century and is still perfectly normal in many dialects and informal contexts in both North America and Britain. Today, however, it does not form part of standard English and should not be used in formal contexts.

So, what do you think? A word or not?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:51 pm
I'm from Texas. My grandmother would always correct me when I used the word ain't as a child. However, I've found it many times in publication, in casual use. Language is a mercurial thing, and change occurs often. It once was not a word, but it has become one with the passage of time. Verdict? it's a word.  

teh brittie

9,325 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Signature Look 250

Swell Sundae

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:01 pm
In my opinion, it's one of those words that are just OUT THERE, meaning we have no idea what lines it falls into, the acceptable or the unacceptable. It's accepted when we speak to people we know well and are allowed to be lazy (I think) but is unacceptable whenever it is used with strangers and context of essays and the like.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:53 pm
It's dialect. Not accent, but it goes in the same field. Whatchoo, gonna, idn't, ain't, all terms that come as part of dialect. Not correct as part of absolute proper english, but I never have a problem with them as part of casual conversation, textual or not. I tend to use a couple myself at times.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:58 pm
It is a word, though a highly informal one. While you may use it with your friends, saying it during an interview or writing it in a formal paper is not acceptable.

Many other languages have different verb conjugations for formality. Be glad it's just a few words in English. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:14 pm
It is a word. It is an improper word. Are'nt is the proper conjunction for Are Not. I do not believe ain't is a word because ; is an i in Are Not ? No !  

Black rose shika

Dragon Razikale

Relentless Dragon

13,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:50 pm
Well, you answered your own question because aren't is the correct way of are not, but joined with a comma. Similar to don't, etc. Ain't is derived from the Southern dialect, which changed the sound of aren't to ain't and due to the fact that it was published in books due to Southern characters the word ain't usage obviously increased. Ain't is not actually a word, similar to other mispronounced words. Though, this is just on what I think/have heard somewhere. Therefore, aren't is a word and ain't is not a word.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:57 pm
actually, to be honest, i consider it a word.
I used to get the same lecture about it not being a word,
until finding it in the dictionary one day.
but it might depend where you are and your dialect etc..
its in the canadian dictionary though.  

Addie-Lynn

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:48 pm
Still, you wouldn't find me using 'ain't'.

Only when it's 3 AM in the morning and I'm half brain-dead.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:27 am
I ain't got nothin' to say to this here topic.  

Tengaii

corvusXcorax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:22 am
I always figured it was the abbreviation of "ain not", which, of course, isn't a word. sweatdrop But hey, I never use it unless I'm being weird and putting on an accent...or something. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:05 pm
DarkElf27
It's dialect. Not accent, but it goes in the same field. Whatchoo, gonna, idn't, ain't, all terms that come as part of dialect. Not correct as part of absolute proper english, but I never have a problem with them as part of casual conversation, textual or not. I tend to use a couple myself at times.
I agree.  

Kairi_12

Zemedelphos

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:55 pm
In my oppinion, ain't is a real contraction, with many meanings, and is easy to tell which meaning is intended by context.

A few examples being:
Well I ain't gonna to it. (meaning am not)
He ain't listening. (is not)
Ain't you Italian? (meaning Are you not)

Coming from the south, I use this word profusely, and belive that it is an acctuall word. One of my classmates looked it up a few years ago, and found it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:35 pm
My mother, also an English major in the social arts, frowns upon my usage of that word.

For me, the aforementioned expression defies description. Informal usage, yes. Casual usage, at your discretion. Formal usage is often discouraged. confused

It's not really the word itself that's taboo, it's mainly the usage that turns heads in the wrong way. In a word, context.  

Natsuri

Annikaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:48 am
I think the real question is how we define "word." People say "ain't isn't a word" but a word is any unit of language that carries meaning. In that sense, it is a word. Is it correct grammar? I took a course on the history of the English language and the word did come from a valid contraction; it didn't just pop up as a slang word. Is it still politically correct to use? Somehow people got it into their heads that it wasn't a word and so it's not ok to use-it shows a lack of education to most people. But it IS a word!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff