Submit

What should I choose?
  30-06 Springfield
  .300 Winchester Magnum
  .308 Winchester
View Results

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:16 pm
I've added a Remington 700 to my list and I'm thinking between the three calibers listed in the title. Of course I'm going to do my own research on each cartridge extensively, but I'm interested to know everyone else's stance on each cartridge. I would be using the rifle to generally just... shoot stuff far away. Six hundred yards to maybe a thousand, ideally. But I could be happy with eight hundred. But I want to be able to hit something the size of a canteloup consistently from 600 yards, a tennis ball at 300, and a quarter at 100.

What's the effective range of the three?

How much do they cost?

How easy is reloading for them?

What's recoil like?

And, uh, anything else.

EDIT: Hey, uh, you guys keep mentioning SHTF stuff. That's NOT what this gun is for. Granted I would like it to perform in a survival/combat role if needed, but this is a 90% fun-to-shoot-long-distances-gun and 10% hunting (which I don't do)/SHTF/whatever else gun.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:11 am
.308 is balisicly superior to 30-06, however 30-06 seems to be cheaper than .308  

Freak_090
Captain

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:41 am
Well, here's my view.

.308 vs .30-06
The .308 is slightly better for accuracy since the bullet itself is slightly larger, etc. the .30-06 cartridge has a good lineage, has had all the kinks worked out, and is cheaper.

I'm gonna get a 700 in .30-06, most likely.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:23 pm
ArmasTermin
But I want to be able to hit something the size of a canteloup consistently from 600 yards
eek
Good luck. How's the wind where you live?

Also, I'd pick .308 personally, 'cos when SHTF, it'd likely be the easies of the three to get my hands on, especially since it's a NATO round.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:06 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
But I want to be able to hit something the size of a canteloup consistently from 600 yards
eek

Also, I'd pick .308 personally, 'cos when SHTF, it'd likely be the easies of the three to get my hands on, especially since it's a NATO round.

Hey, if the rifle is capable, I'll be able to make it do such, eventually.

Yeah, I don't think I need that .300 Magnum, though. That might be bigger than I need.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:59 pm
Inquisitor Brock
Well, here's my view.

.308 vs .30-06
The .308 is slightly better for accuracy since the bullet itself is slightly larger, etc. the .30-06 cartridge has a good lineage, has had all the kinks worked out, and is cheaper.

I agree with the 30-06 choice. But if you are dead set on a SHTF situation coming up then you should probably get the .308.  

OberFeldwebel

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:30 pm
OberFeldwebel
Inquisitor Brock
Well, here's my view.

.308 vs .30-06

I agree with the 30-06 choice. But if you are dead set on a SHTF situation coming up then you should probably get the .308.

I don't remember mentioning SHTF. Where are you guys getting this?

I just said I want to shoot stuff far away. Mostly paper, possibly fruit. For you know, fun. I'm not planning on using it in a survival or combat role, though I would want it capable as such in those roles if so needed.

This is a fun gun. A long range fun gun.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:37 am
ArmasTermin
OberFeldwebel
Inquisitor Brock
Well, here's my view.

.308 vs .30-06

I just said I want to shoot stuff far away. Mostly paper, possibly fruit. For you know, fun. I'm not planning on using it in a survival or combat role, though I would want it capable as such in those roles if so needed.

FYI, the 800-1000 yard US Palma team uses exclusively .308, 155 grain. If you wanna learn long distance, they're the guys to learn it from. Too bad most of them live out in AZ. mrgreen  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:49 am
ArmasTermin

well, you are probably the #1 poster in the zombie sub-forum.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:44 am
ArmasTermin
OberFeldwebel
Inquisitor Brock
Well, here's my view.

.308 vs .30-06

Didn't someone else mention SHTF?
Oh well. Get the 30-06.  

OberFeldwebel

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:22 pm
Freak_090
ArmasTermin

Am I? Hm...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:03 pm
ArmasTermin
Freak_090
ArmasTermin

Am I? Hm...

"probably"  

Freak_090
Captain

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:45 pm
I'm going to play devil's advocate again and promote the unappreciated .300 Win. Magnum as the choice for that extra punch for taking large game at 800 yards.

From a pure ballistic standpoint, the .300 Win. Magnum is the flattest. Many police forces were equipped with this caliber until it was bested by three newer magnum rounds. But it is still available widely and several quality rifles are being produced for it.

For elk hunting in the mountains (and a good chance you'll kill it without collateral damage), go with the .300 Win. Magnum.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:42 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
eek

Nope, .30-06 would likely be the easiest to get since it's been manufactured constantly for the last 100 years, and is in every single ammo store, police stations would likely have it too.

.308 might be a NATO caliber, but very few weapons in the US arsenal use it.

Carlos Hathcock use a Winchester model 70 in .300 winchester magnum to make several of his kills, when he had his choice. He also helped to design the current Sniper rifle in use by the US Marines, the M40 Whitefeather, built on the fantastic Remington 700 action.  

Inquisitor Brock

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:57 pm
Floyd
I'm going to play devil's advocate again and promote the unappreciated .300 Win. Magnum as the choice for that extra punch for taking large game at 800 yards.

From a pure ballistic standpoint, the .300 Win. Magnum is the flattest. Many police forces were equipped with this caliber until it was bested by three newer magnum rounds. But it is still available widely and several quality rifles are being produced for it.

For elk hunting in the mountains (and a good chance you'll kill it without collateral damage), go with the .300 Win. Magnum.

I think I've ruled out .300 Magnum because I just don't really need the higher firepower it delivers, nor do I want the extra cost and recoil. I know it's probably the best cartridge balistically (right?) but it's not necessary for me. At least not now.  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff