Reply Gaiaholics Anonymous
Faunzy's flute? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Amy Obscurite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:40 am
Soooooo, if you were on the homepage a few minutes ago, you might have seen an advert for Gaia's first active item... It's been taken out now, so don't bother looking for it.

BUT WHAT DOES THIS IMPLY?! gonk My guess is for an animated item. Now, I know what you're thinking. "But Aaaaaaamyyyyy! You can't have .GIF avatars! It's against the laws of Gaia Physics!" But I happen to know of a little tidbit. ninja

If you run Firefox 3 or Opera 9.5, you can view APNG images. APNG stands for Animated Portable Network Graphics, which is an animated version of .PNG. So, as long as you have FF3 or Opera 9.5, you can see these lovely animated items! Anyone running any older versions or another browser will still see your avatar, just not animated, so nothing to worry about.

So! What do you think of this? Do you agree with my theory? Let's hear your opinions!

EDIT: Here's the ad in case anyone missed it:

EDIT EDIT: I decided to take the ad out. I don't want a mod/admin/dev coming in here and busting a cap in my a** for leaking an ad. xDD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:49 am
User Image

NONONO
So unnatural, like I'd take me at least 2 months to see peoples avatars with floating musical instruments.
(I saw the add)

I don't think I'd get one.....unless it was amazingly awesome.

Tamei Dukes

O.G. Dabbler

11,225 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

Amy Obscurite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:54 am
[T_mama]
User Image

NONONO
So unnatural, like I'd take me at least 2 months to see peoples avatars with floating musical instruments.
(I saw the add)

I don't think I'd get one.....unless it was amazingly awesome.

I probably won't get it. It'll be like £20 in the cash shop and like, MILLIONS in the MP. D; I like the concept of a .APNG item, though. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:25 am
maybe it's a questy like item...
somehow I really don't want animated thingys, I think once it start it won't end and reading every thread with flying thingys would be to @_@

maybe its like a tamagotchi or something XD
you do stuff with it and stuff happens...?  

Asury

Amy Obscurite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:57 am
Asury
maybe it's a questy like item...
somehow I really don't want animated thingys, I think once it start it won't end and reading every thread with flying thingys would be to User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

maybe its like a tamagotchi or something XD
you do stuff with it and stuff happens...?
Ohh, I like that idea. Like an interactive pet? Sounds pretty cool.

Apparently a lot of people are scared by the concept of animated items. xD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 am
User Image

i think it'd be interesting . . . but probly hell for people with slower internet. . . i can see it causing a lot of lag . . .

Faerdra

Amy Obscurite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:43 am
Faerdra
User Image

i think it'd be interesting . . . but probly hell for people with slower internet. . . i can see it causing a lot of lag . . .
I guess so. But I doubt they'll be too complex, since Gaia tries to cater to all internet users (Even though the banner seems to load slowly on my laptop). But think about having loads of animations on the avatar! gonk gonk gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:50 am
User Image

i'm not sure i'd like it, even having posting styles lagged my computer when i had dial up. . . we'll see though i suppose. . . they musta change their minds or something to've taken the add down. . .

Faerdra

Amy Obscurite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 pm
Faerdra
User Image

i'm not sure i'd like it, even having posting styles lagged my computer when i had dial up. . . we'll see though i suppose. . . they musta change their minds or something to've taken the add down. . .
Hmm. Active doesn't really mean moving, though, just implies it. xD  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:11 pm
It doesn't even have to be apng to be animated.
We talked about animated items in the SF a while ago. I found this image from an announcement in March. The only thing is, when Windows users saved the image, it saved as GIF. I am using Linux, and I saved it, and it saved as PNG.

User Image
http://a2.cdn.gaiaonline.com/gaia/members/ava/d8/87/f0186c18787d8_flip.png  

Cattrain

Eriwain
Crew

6,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:13 pm
User Image
I -really- hope it isnt animated sad I think i would have to turn images off if they did move. or flash. urgh, it just looks horrible. I do hope that its interactive instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:36 pm
Cattrain
It doesn't even have to be apng to be animated.
We talked about animated items in the SF a while ago. I found this image from an announcement in March. The only thing is, when Windows users saved the image, it saved as GIF. I am using Linux, and I saved it, and it saved as PNG.

User Image
http://a2.cdn.gaiaonline.com/gaia/members/ava/d8/87/f0186c18787d8_flip.png
Hmm. But I'm pretty sure you need to have the image saved as a .PNG to change the avatars. Not completely sure though. Computers are confusing to me. xD

Eriwain: It really could mean anything. 'Challenge the master and win the treasure' could mean something like an item quest or an interactive item. 3nodding

Amy Obscurite

Eriwain
Crew

6,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:41 pm
User Image
Battle System?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:50 pm
Spy my body online,
Electrothanasia is so fine

I came online too late to see it D:

User Image
Spy my body online,
De profundis clam.avi

TakingOverMe...

Dangerous Lunatic

Karma v2
Vice Captain

Invisible Exhibitionist

14,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:43 pm
So it's out officially and it's kinda weird. You equip it and the new NPC challenges you to rock, paper, scissors. You win, you get a prize. Not impressed with the prizes quite yet....  
Gaiaholics Anonymous

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff