Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Xbox and Playstation Gaming
Xbox Elite vs. PS3 Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you like better?
  Xbox all the way!
  PS3. No contest.
  Neither.
  I love both. Don't make me choose!!!
View Results

Megumi_12

7,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:30 am
I'm looking to get a new gaming system. I'm torn between the sleek black Xbox Elite and the glossy 80 GB PS3. It's because my new TV plays blue ray, so I need either a blue ray player or a gaming system. What would you choose? xp I know it's a "duh" question. But, I'd like an opinion.
If you have any info about either system, post it here so I can make my descision before the people at Future shop choose for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:35 pm
for the time i would gecimend xbox better games and all that so ya i would go with that i use to like play station but now all xbox and i am pro at games so that also is why i choose it but ya ps3 is just big 500 doller blue ray player  

PH mongle

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:44 pm
Well it depends, which one has the games you want? Do you care about online?

and the 360 doesn't have a Blu-ray player.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:56 pm
I'm wondering whether or not I should laugh at PH mongle or not. Oh, ignorance is wonderful, eh?

Essentially, don't touch the 360 elite. Despite what Microsoft tells people, it's not safe from the RRoD and it's pretty much just a pro with a big HDD. Avoid it- if it dies, you'll be receiving a 360 Pro back from Microsoft. Not worth the extra $150.

If you hurry, you can get a pro for $299- a great buy if you ask me. Just remember, there are extra costs that come with the 360. $50 a year for XBL, $100 for a Wifi component, and an upgrade in HDD space (you'll need it if you go online a lot) which can cost you $180 for a 120 GB HDD. So, just FYI, if you want to make your 360 "better", be prepared to pay $630 for your 360 instead of just that shiny little $299 price.

However, I prefer the PS3. It's better than the 360 as it doesn't die chronically. Seriously, the fail rate for the 360 is embarrassing. 33% just for hardware issues. That doesn't include the 1/9 chance that it'll gut your disk (You can see KASSA's study on that for more info) or the fact that its disk drive has a nasty habit of dieing.

The 360 does have a strong lineup of games, and sadly that's the only thing that redeems the 360. It does cater to RPG players, so that's a plus in my book. However, it lacks true exclusives and its actual exclusives are lackluster and even disappointing at best (Gears of War II and Fable II are not exclusives~). If you're familiar with Microsoft's work, then you should already know what to expect from your 360- such as 1-800-4-My-Xbox, a true homage to their "Sinkhole of support."

Now, onto the PS3.

It's more expensive out of the box, but it's actually cheaper than the 360 for all it comes with. I already showed you earlier that if you want half of the things that the PS3 comes with out of the box, you'll be paying $630 for the 360. Even if you go to upgrade the PS3's memory, you won't end up paying a lot. $80 will get you 160 GB of space with a new hard drive. They're cheap, easy to find, they don't void the warranty, and Sony actually walks you through the process.

$580 vs $630.

The PS3 does have a strong lineup of games, and saying anything otherwise is just proof of being either misinformed or ignorant, with a total of 90 upcoming exclusives. However, the PS3 as it stands, doesn't have the same game support as the 360. Not to say it can't truly compare to the 360's lineup since most of the 360's library has already reached bargain bin pricing, but still.

As PH mongle said, it's a Blu-Ray player, which holds more than 10 times what a normal DVD could hold- so you get more game for your buck. In fact, most European magazines rated the PS3 as one of the best Blu-Ray players for one of the cheapest prices. If you're looking for gaming and entertainment, Blu-Ray is the logical next step considering that it supports full 1080p- which the 360 does not.

Plus, since it seems that you found an 80 GIG. Assuming that you found the bundle, that should come with MGS4 ($60), a DuelShock3 Controller ($20 over the Sixaxis controller), and a free download of PAIN ($10). All together, you're getting $90 of extra stuff with your PS3.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As you can see, each has its pros and cons. However, as it seems that you want a Blu-Ray player AND a gaming system, the PS3 should be what you're looking for. However, the final decision is yours. Just remember that the $300 360 will be gone soon, and if you don't act quickly, the price will jump back up to $350.

I'll say this one last time, just in case: DO NOT GET THE ELITE.  

Nephilimalch

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:27 pm
Microsoft doesn't send you back a 360 pro if you send in your elite. My friend sent his in and it came back the same color. I also have one (bought in October) and I've luckily avoided the red ring.

Though srsly

-Games you're interested in
-Do you care about online?
-How much does Blu-ray matter
-RRoD  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:30 pm
Pay Per Cuts
Microsoft doesn't send you back a 360 pro if you send in your elite. My friend sent his in and it came back the same color. I also have one (bought in October) and I've luckily avoided the red ring.

Though srsly

-RRoD

Then your friend was a lucky one, or the managed to actually fix the soldering in his 360, because Microsoft has actually stated that they are not responsible for replacing Elites with Elites. This is exacerbated by the fact that the Elites have been discontinued, too. Even Gamestop adheres to the "Elites as Pros" rule. Elites are taken in as Pros and sold as pros.

Otherwise, you're right.

-What games are you interested in?
-Do you care about online? (though it's not a big deal since both can do it)
-How much does Blu-Ray matter?
-360's hardware and other issues.  

Nephilimalch

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:07 pm
Oh, I guess I'm wrong then.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:28 pm
I have an Elite and I love it.  

Kaleb x_x

Plutalis Zero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:51 am
My advice would be to look at each system's games and choose based off that.

I have an Xbox 360, and I love it. I am not interested in the Playstation 3 however, due to the lack of games that I enjoy playing.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:17 am
Thank you all for your advice and opinions. Espescially Nephilimalch and Pay Per Cuts. Since I have a twin sister, we'll have to both look at all the games that we want/like, but she is adament on DDR for some reason. We also have a wii, but she hates the hand motions on DDR: Hottest Party and I only play Zelda and Guitar Hero on it.
But my cousin has a PS3 and Xbox 360. He still plays more PS3 though (probably because it's his latest). And my youngest cousin is obessed with Retribution 2 or something like that for the PS3 and he wants me to get that so he can play it.
And can somebody confirm that PS3 is mostly shooting games? That what my littlest cousin says. neutral

Megumi_12

7,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Conversationalist 100

PersianSpice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:02 pm
Nephilimalch
Pay Per Cuts

Though srsly

-RRoD

Then your friend was a lucky one, or the managed to actually fix the soldering in his 360, because Microsoft has actually stated that they are not responsible for replacing Elites with Elites. This is exacerbated by the fact that the Elites have been discontinued, too. Even Gamestop adheres to the "Elites as Pros" rule. Elites are taken in as Pros and sold as pros.

Otherwise, you're right.

-What games are you interested in?
-Do you care about online? (though it's not a big deal since both can do it)
-How much does Blu-Ray matter?
-360's hardware and other issues.

Well, you don't send back your HDD so it's not like you lose any data. And if they don't send back an elite, then they probably would at least send you a new system that has the new chipset.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:46 am
Megumi_12
Thank you all for your advice and opinions. Espescially Nephilimalch and Pay Per Cuts. Since I have a twin sister, we'll have to both look at all the games that we want/like, but she is adament on DDR for some reason. We also have a wii, but she hates the hand motions on DDR: Hottest Party and I only play Zelda and Guitar Hero on it.
But my cousin has a PS3 and Xbox 360. He still plays more PS3 though (probably because it's his latest). And my youngest cousin is obessed with Retribution 2 or something like that for the PS3 and he wants me to get that so he can play it.
And can somebody confirm that PS3 is mostly shooting games? That what my littlest cousin says. neutral

The PS3 is not mostly shooting games.  

Pay Per Cuts

fnqrneuqivdfeqfdsacvxk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:09 pm
well a second ago i had this huge post and i was ranting a PS3 hatefest but now im just gonna say PS3 fails, unless you wanted to get a grill for your room... i have nothing against that... not really. but 360 is overall bettr, those horror stories about ppl getting the RRoD are just that, some people may get it but ive had mine for over a year and had no real problems with it. and a few other things.

Ps3 also only has a limited base of games. mostly driving/racing, and shooting. but it does have God o war 3, and KH soon and MGS4 now, but who wants a system for 3 games? now if they made Way of the Samurai on ther id go buy it right now. sadly its unlikely. T.T as a matter of fact ima go play WotS2 right now. a PS2 game!!!! zomg  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:08 pm
Spartan-1357
well a second ago i had this huge post and i was ranting a PS3 hatefest but now im just gonna say PS3 fails, unless you wanted to get a grill for your room... i have nothing against that... not really.

rolleyes That's not even worth commenting on.

Quote:
not really. but 360 is overall bettr, those horror stories about ppl getting the RRoD are just that, some people may get it but ive had mine for over a year and had no real problems with it. and a few other things.

Right now, 360 has the edge, but in terms of quality games on the way, they're pretty much tied. And RRoD ISN'T a "horror story". Do you realize there is a THIRTY THREE PERCENT failure rate on the 360? That's ONE THIRD of the 360's install base. How is that a horror story? Trust me, having had a 360 for almost three years, it's not a matter of IF you get Red Ringed, it's a matter of WHEN. Plus, compare that rate to the PS3's two or three percent.

Quote:
Ps3 also only has a limited base of games. mostly driving/racing, and shooting.

I honestly don't see a plethora of driving and racing. It's just that the games that ARE driving/racing have gotten a lot of attention. I guess you can mix up quantity with quality. And, by the way, 360 is dominated by shooters so you shouldn't go around saying that as a downside of the PS3.

Quote:
but it does have God o war 3, and KH soon and MGS4 now, but who wants a system for 3 games? now if they made Way of the Samurai on ther id go buy it right now. sadly its unlikely. T.T as a matter of fact ima go play WotS2 right now. a PS2 game!!!! zomg

Little Big Planet, Resistance 1 and 2, Folklore, Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone 2, MAG, Final Fantasy versus XIII...hm, that doesn't look like three to me. Add on what you said and that's already twelve games, well worth the price of admission. Not counting some PSN titles and other titles I'm sure I've forgotten.

There's plenty of reasons why the PS3 doesn't fail. It's got the most potential out of the Big 3, IMO.  

PersianSpice

Megumi_12

7,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:10 pm
Thanks Pay Per Cuts and PersianSpice.
And I have nothing against shooting/racing games. And if I say so myself, I'm a pretty good shot. wink

I like a mix to my games, too, though. And, hmmm... I see that the poll is still in the Xbox favor, but I asked a few of my intensely gaming friends and it's torn between them, too. Friend one is obsessed with Xbox and Friend 2 loves all things Play Station.

Xbox and Playstation Gaming

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff