Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Multimedia
Nightmare Before Christmas,,,,Goth or just cool? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NBC goth?
  Yes
  No
  Depends
View Results

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:26 am
Most people associate certain movies with being goth and I have noticed that NBC is one of them. Is it goth or just a really cool kid's movie that we all love?

Other Tim Burton movies are usually deemed with the same lables. Coincidence or predjudice?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:27 am
Is it of the gothic horror genre?

No. It's a musical comedy.

Is it related to the goth culture?

I wouldn't say so. Not particularly.

Is it cool then?

I wouldn't say so either. I didn't think it was all that good to begin with.  

GilAskan
Crew

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:03 pm
I happen to love the movie but I have since childhood. The songs are catchy and the characters witty/amusing. I think that people associate it with the 'goth' culture because it is about a skeleton and takes place centered around a Halloween town.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:09 pm
People associate Tim Burton in general with goth. Therefore, yes, his movies all get put that way. Nightmare Before Christmas seems more of a family movie everyone and anyone can watch. Thats just how I see it.  

Nikki the Juggalette

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm
Im not sure about this one....

Well yes, it is a family/comedy/musical but even though, i think that the dark and a bit twisted enviremont somehow appeals to the goth community. At least its better to get movies like NBC associated by goth, than devil wordshipping and suicide, so please, be free to call it a gothic movie.

Awsome movie.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:12 pm
Actually around here it's called the emo movie. I'm not sure how that came about???  

Nikki the Juggalette

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:54 am
Teriyaki Tsubaki

Other Tim Burton movies are usually deemed with the same lables. Coincidence or predjudice?

rofl nether, it's Beatlejuce or kat as the case may be  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:18 am
I would say that there is a certain gothic style in the movie, but that doesn't bring me to generalize about everything Tim Burton makes.
Stardust for example is definetly not goth, neither is American gods. Even though he is one of the writers i like the most.  

YellowRavenInk

Opinionated Bibliophile

12,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500

This Old Oscillator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:21 pm
The Lord of Dreams
I would say that there is a certain gothic style in the movie, but that doesn't bring me to generalize about everything Tim Burton makes.
Stardust for example is definetly not goth, neither is American gods. Even though he is one of the writers i like the most.

I'm lost. Are you confusing Neil Gaiman with Tim Burton? confused

Also, the ONLY reason that movie is affiliated with goth in any way is because of Hot Topic.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:35 pm
It's not goth, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. But I've always been fond of the surreal feel of stop-motion animation, so I'm a bit biased in that area.

Tim Burton's got a dark feel to many of the productions that he's well known for. a bit overrated, I think, and definately not goth, but he's still a good enough producer and director. The lighter content in contrast to it's dark imagery makes it desireable and easily accessable to small-minded mallrats, which is how it got it's popularity and the misconceptions stuck to it.
God, I'm really overthinking this, aren't I? XD  

The War on Indifference

Durem Raider

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:57 pm
This Old Oscillator
The Lord of Dreams

I suspect so.

Also, American Gods is pretty damn goth, in terms of literary genre. It's not many steps away from being part of the gothic-horror genre.

In general, Gaiman has more ties to the goth culture than Burton. Hell, Gaiman has direct references to goth bands in his books and comics. Seriously- major Joy Division name drop in the first Sandman arc.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:00 pm
This Old Oscillator
The Lord of Dreams

Also, the ONLY reason that movie is affiliated with goth in any way is because of Hot Topic.

Let's not forget London After Midnight.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:34 pm
most of Tim Burton's stuff just draws upon goth aesthetics on some level, ex;

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

so on some level it makes a vague reference to goth but that doesn't make it goth. but they definitely have goth hair and some of his characters seem to exhibit some stereotypical goth personalities.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:32 am
its both cool and goth deal with it stare  

Midnight_Fox101

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:39 pm
Quote:
Nightmare Before Christmas,,,,Goth or just cool?

neither, it doesn't have any bauhaus in it or anything like that and though it was i grate movie to begin with all the obsession over it is just getting annoying.  
Multimedia

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff