Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[ D i z z y ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:07 pm
Judgement of the Illiterates:
PART I (of none, I hope)

Dear Got Goth? members,

It has come to my attention recently that there are members and non-members who post in a... very illegable type of manner. Personally I find it bothering and troublesome to read netspeak, and I'm sure its the same case for many. I find that members that use netspeak and make posts through that make this guild deem as un-professional or un-realistic.

This is what I ask:
Should the literate impared be allowed into the guild? Should we or should we not raise the bars for higher standards of literacy in our guild? Or should there be freedom of all levels of writing skills in our guild, as in reference to how we take pride in accepting anyone into our guild?

Tell me what you think about the suituation, and what you think we should do about it. I like to hear the opinions of other members.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:14 pm
I personally hate to see a very nice thread ruined by some moron who speaks in his "1337 sp33k". If they popst their actual opinions and make posts with more than 1 sentence, and are willing to change thier ways I would be very happy to see them participate in this fine guild you have established.

-Seth  

Yamir N. Mordecai

darkXmoon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:02 pm
Are you guys talking about my bad spelling or about some one else..I thought I would ask...If not me who..? Did I miss some one posting in some other computer leet ?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:14 pm
darkXmoon
Are you guys talking about my bad spelling or about some one else..I thought I would ask...If not me who..? Did I miss some one posting in some other computer leet ?

i think they mean peope who spell you like this -"u" (i hate that that)  

Southern Belles

[ D i z z y ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:08 pm
darkXmoon

were n0t tlking bout u darkmoon, but 4 all thse o ther ppl woo type lke dis. Like people who type really, really bad. We're not talking about anyone in specific though.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:22 pm
lol wtf? omg rofl u r sooo right Diz! stoopid n00bs need to be banned from teh guild lol lol lol ...
Wait what was I doing? Hmmm... Ah well, anyways, I completely see your point dear Dizzy, they really should clean up the way they post, it really only shows us their incapacity for an intellectual conversation, and I'm pretty sure they are all capable of so much more, or at least I hope so. I am trying extraordinarily hard to keep myself sane and optimistic for a moment for you chaps, don't disappoint me with all your net speak anymore, for our sake as much as yours. So for now, I bid you all adieu.  

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:58 pm
IF we are going to tell people to no longer speak in netspeak, then our acceptance policy might have to reflect the fact we are seeking literate members who will read the rules. After all it is our open door policy that makes the guild so enjoyable, but that also means that the occasional netspeak person will find their way into the guild. Perhaps asking applicants to provide one simple sentance or more instead of having the option of leaving the application blank might help reduce the amount of less than literate members than find their way to our door.
It's just a thought.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:06 pm
If not, semi-literate always works. But lurichan's idea is good.

Kostbarer Alptraum

darkXmoon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:55 am
lurichan
IF we are going to tell people to no longer speak in netspeak, then our acceptance policy might have to reflect the fact we are seeking literate members who will read the rules. After all it is our open door policy that makes the guild so enjoyable, but that also means that the occasional netspeak person will find their way into the guild. Perhaps asking applicants to provide one simple sentance or more instead of having the option of leaving the application blank might help reduce the amount of less than literate members than find their way to our door.
It's just a thought.

I agree with this, there are some guilds that actualy make you anwser the question that asks "Why do you wish to join this guild?". I don't think a simple anwser is to much to ask for. Or we could keep it as it is and just send out warnings to people as you see fit.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:20 am
*gets out her mod-bat and smacks the n00bs around the head* I love the sound of wimpering n00bs in the morning...err...afternoon. But my point still stands I hate them, they are scum and worthless prats stare (victim of many n00b attacks- If you have a problem sure I'll talk but not in chat speak *shrugs*)

I tollerate most mis-spellings and misunderstandings in grammar, it's tricky let's face it, but only if the typer seems to have made an effort. numbers as words and leaving out half the word is just pathetic. I personally have no literacy in illertarte chat speak so I have no idea what's being said, I was taught Engish not some wierd bastardised version.

An open-ended question's good, then we can weed out the n00bs. But the problem with "why do you want to join this guild" is some people get a little scared that the guilds will think they're poseurs etc so make it something that has nothing to do with 'Goth'  

Isobel Bellamy

mee_shee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:23 pm
Yea it's annoying.

Give 'em a "warning"

Than if they continiou to do it just say :

Adios!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:51 pm
[ automatic girl ]
darkXmoon

i think they mean peope who spell you like this -"u" (i hate that that)

If you hate that, please capitolize. Please.  

faux=doom

faux=doom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:56 pm
mee_shee
Yea it's annoying.

Give 'em a "warning"

Than if they continiou to do it just say :

Adios!

...SHe used net speak! Get her! Sorry. I was just playing. But it is yeah...Now I seem like a p***k because I corrected two people...Sorry...Again...And also, since most people use "yea" instead of yeah and "ok" instead of okay, is that going to count as netspeak?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:09 pm
*points to the timestamp of the original post* Wow, this thread is almost a year old...
I think the general resolution on this that we have had over time is that excessive use is given a warning, generally either in post or PM. I don't think anyone has actually ever been banned for excessive use of netspeak however, just asked kindly to try to keep to a higher standard of typing.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Mz.Wiggles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:13 pm
My sig says it all.
3nodding

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers