Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Gaming documentary Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Undine Mystic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:09 pm
The other day I watched a documentary that featured Second Life. The documentary actually was about relationships that have been broken up over people falling for other people through their avatars. People actully fell for the fantasy of the avatar, while some fell for the person behind it. One man actually left his wife to marry his avatar girlfriend. They even got married on Second Life.

I read a statistic that said one in ten gamers meet a partner online.

I have mixed feelings about this. While gaming can be a good way to meet someone in common, The people in the documentary seemed rather pathetic, espcially since they destroyed their family to chase some fantasy. It seemed their virtual life was far more interesting and fulfilling than real life.

Your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 pm
I think it is neat that people can find and date eachother in this way,but to leave someone else for what an avi looks like.Or to even date someone in general because of an avi is just stupid.  

Dark_Dragon_Bagera

Korean Kracker II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 pm
you should watch the "King of Kongs", I hear that its pretty weird neutral  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:08 am
As for meeting someone online, i met my girlfriend off guild wars and shes makes me happy. sure we saw each other before we started dating. i love her so much and i know she loves me the same. im talking to her on the phone as we speak. and ill be living with her wihtin 9 months. theres nothing wrong with ppl meeting like that and i know alot of ppl dont understand it and talk bad about online or long distance relationships. Leaving your own wife for someone online? that wont ever happen to me and i wont let it. i guess it depends on the person or couple right?
King of Kongs is not a great documentary and i dont really like it.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Korean Kracker II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 am
Dark_Dragon_Bagera
I think it is neat that people can find and date eachother in this way,but to leave someone else for what an avi looks like.Or to even date someone in general because of an avi is just stupid.

that stupid, Your basically giving up your wife for a blind date

I guess if hes willing to do that, their not meant to be  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
Pfft, this has nothing on that documentary about real dolls I watched.  

nitnit
Captain

Undine Mystic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:48 pm
nitnit
Pfft, this has nothing on that documentary about real dolls I watched.

I can't remember if I saw that doco or not. Can you please refreh my memory, that is, if I have seen it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:00 pm
It's not a bad way to find someone that shares the same interests in you, especially if said interest is obscure at all.

But leaving your spouse for someone you meet online is....weird.

=/

Also, a virtual life is FAR more interesting.  

Jonnnn

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:54 pm
Uhhh it was about 47 minutes long.. and about real dolls...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:18 pm
nitnit
Uhhh it was about 47 minutes long.. and about real dolls...

Real dolls? Dolls that have organs and breed to multiply, or life-size dolls that look real? Because I did see one about life-size dolls, and what people did with these dolls, um, I better not say...  

Undine Mystic

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:19 pm
The latter.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:11 pm
nitnit
The latter.

I was just thinking, why would you think this thread is about "real dolls"? As far as I remember, that doco had nothing to do with video games! Perhaps you are interested in discussing the documentary on real dolls? wink  

Undine Mystic

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:44 pm
I believe I said that your documentary is nowhere near as interesting as the one I saw on real dolls. (at least that's the intended message)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:07 pm
nitnit
I believe I said that your documentary is nowhere near as interesting as the one I saw on real dolls. (at least that's the intended message)

My mistake (i swear it's my medication, it make me drowsy!! D: ) ... but this is a gaming forum, supposedly about games, and yes, the real dolls doco is far more interesting than this one I watched.

So, are there any gaming documentaries out there that you have found truly interesting? I enjoyed one which showed how the government created war games so people would be enticed into the army. How dumb must one be to think that a real war must be as fun as a video game!? confused  

Undine Mystic

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 pm
From what I've heard from the 4 people I've met a couple years older than me that are enlisted and in Iraq when they're in combat, it's funner.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff